CGN3ROG Advanced Wi-Fi Modem Guest Account & MS Windows 8.1 latest big patch

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AskBoB
I Plan to Stick Around

CGN3ROG Advanced Wi-Fi Modem Guest Account & MS Windows 8.1 latest big patch

CGN3ROG manual states:

5.1.7 Guest Networks

Your CGN3 supports the creation of a wireless guest network. A guest network enables you to allow temporary visitors to access your wireless Internet connection without revealing your primary network password(s). Computers connected to the guest network can access the Internet connection only, and have no access to other computers or devices on the wireless or wired network.

Nowhere in the CGN3 manual explains how to CREATE a Guest Account? or in the control panel?

Anyone know where Guest Account creation in the CGN3ROG Control Panel 192.168.0.1? Thanks.

When I upgraded to the 150 Fibre speed with Advanced Wireless Modem CGN3ROG, none of the laptops running MS Windows 8.1 with latest big patch would connect i.e., Limited Connectivity & dropped connections; I think it's a problem with 8.1 & not the Rogers Advanced Modem OR maybe the laptops wireless NIC card? Assuming if the laptop cannot handle the advanced speed it drops the connection?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
mrbrimi
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CGN3ROG Advanced Wi-Fi Modem Guest Account & MS Windows 8.1 latest big patch

Guest Account: The only way I know of managing the Guest Account is by using the Rogers Connect software on the USB stick that comes with the modem. If you don't have the USB then try local Rogers store.

**UPDATE**

Hey AskBob,

For steps on how to edit the guest network settings please follow this link.

Thanks

View solution in original post

All Replies
mrbrimi
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CGN3ROG Advanced Wi-Fi Modem Guest Account & MS Windows 8.1 latest big patch

Guest Account: The only way I know of managing the Guest Account is by using the Rogers Connect software on the USB stick that comes with the modem. If you don't have the USB then try local Rogers store.

**UPDATE**

Hey AskBob,

For steps on how to edit the guest network settings please follow this link.

Thanks

View solution in original post

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For the Guest network.. it is one thing i found missing.

With ANY of the gateways.. while the manual can say it has 50 features... its up to the MSO, the ISP, to actually ENABLE any of those features,for us to edit on the gateway.

I am guessing.. that the guest network, is locked out 😞

Only thing i can think of, to TRY and get it enabled, is call into rogers, and see if they are able to do it from their end.

EDIT: Ooh, forgot about the setup key.  never got one with mine (as tech set up modem :P) but i do all on my admin manually, and have a seperate wireless router as an AP for my wireless needs)

(personally, i am not a fan of the GUEST network.  I understand the reasoning behind it, for when the friend comes over, dont want to give full access, etc... but in the end, unless you have an INSANELY good password for it, its even easier to brute force into it, than say a regular wireless connection.)

Canuck_2014
I Plan to Stick Around

what are the specs of your laptops wireless NIC card ? my HP is experiecning the same thing.

AskBoB
I Plan to Stick Around

Broadcom 4313GN 802.11b/g/n 1x 1 Wi-Fi Adapter is working fantastic since I did a factory reset of the laptop back to MS Windows 7 including the ton of Microsoft Updates. I got frustrated using the laptop with an RJ45 internet connection wired to the CGN3ROG Modem which kind of defeated the purpose of using the laptop wirelessly!

wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

What makes a guest account easier to brute force than  a regular account?  And if someone does get in isn't that better than getting into your entire LAN?

@Gdkitty wrote:

(personally, i am not a fan of the GUEST network.  I understand the reasoning behind it, for when the friend comes over, dont want to give full access, etc... but in the end, unless you have an INSANELY good password for it, its even easier to brute force into it, than say a regular wireless connection.)

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

From my understanding, because most guest accounts login via a webpage, it's much easier to script something to keep trying on the web interface.... Vs via a login on the connection itself.

Really in the end BOTH are prone to brute force if you use a weak password.

True though, that if you get into it, it's often more restricted access wise.

Or you can just be stingy like me and not let anyone else other than family on it period :).

wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

The Guest accounts on the default firmware for my Asus RT-N66U are the same as the other SSIDs using WPA2.  So I have one SSID for the 2.4GHz regular access another for the 5GHz regular access and then up to three guest accounts on each freq. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Oh, i know its a little better/different on the N66U, i have that one 🙂

OP was more talking about the guest access on the gateways..  I ran the one on the SMC for quite a while...

Like the wireless on these units.. they are not quite as robust as other units, as we well know 🙂