cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGN3ACSMR does not seem to restrict wireless connections based on MAC addresses

ot_man
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi everyone. Not sure if its just me. I haven't been able to find anything on my issue so far.

I just upgraded from a CGN3 to the newer CGN3ACSMR. For the most part, everything went fine except when I go to the Wireless section of the managment GUI and try to restrict Wifi access to only certain MACs.

I initally tried to allow only my laptop's wireless MAC to access the gateway.  That was fine. 

But when I went to see what other devices might be connected, to my surprise, all my other devices were connected as well...even though I had not put them on the access list yet.   (Both 5 and 2.4 devices were connecting.)

Seems any device can connect irrespective if it is on my "allowed" list or not, so long as it had the key.

I called support and they said restricting the MACs was not supported by Rogers and they didn't know why it was doing what it was doing. I was also told I was at the latest firmware.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Re: CGN3ACSMR does not seem to restrict wireless connections based on MAC addresses

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Try this.  Log into the modem, navigate to SECURITY ..... DEVICE FILTER.  Add your laptop as a managed device and then change the Block Devices setting to "Allow Listed".  Save the changes and then navigate to ADMIN.... DEVICE RESET, and reboot the modem.  See if that is successful in locking out the other devices when the reboot is finished.  I wonder if the modem will show the other devices as being connected but not allow access to the internet despite the connected indication?  That is something you will have to check out.  The other way to do this is to add all of the other devices as managed devices and then change the Block Rules to "Block Listed".

Re: CGN3ACSMR does not seem to restrict wireless connections based on MAC addresses

ot_man
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Datalink.  I'll give your suggestion a try tomorrow .

Just to touch on some of the points, I was playing around in the "security" section and when you use "device filter" from there, it actually is for physical ethernet connections.   I learned that the hard way when I tried to directly connect to the gateway and I accidentally locked myself out.  I'll try with a wireless MAC and see.

As for the other wireless devices that connect to the gateway but are not on my wireless MAC "allowed" list, they all had full internet connectivity.

I'm not so much concerned about restricting my other wireless devices from accessing the gateway, more like hackers and such that might get into it.  I've always been taught to not leave a door open if you can shut it easily.  I could be wrong there ..am I just too paranoid?

Maybe there is an topic around here discussing just how secure the Rogers wireless gateways are.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 in conversation