cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*** CGN3ACSMR - League of Legends – latency: firmware release pending

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Update: The new firmware has now been deployed across the network. Customers who received a modem with the old firmware will be updated automatically within 48-72 hours. There is no need to submit your MAC Address & Cable Account Reference number as the update will happen automatically.

This only applies to the CGN3ACSMR.

Announced as of the evening of Thursday 28 May, a firmware update to address the League of Legends issue is close to deployment. Updates are available as indicated in the message below from CommuntyHelps
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hello Community

Good news! We have received a firmware patch from Hitron that resolves the connectivity issue with League of Legends and we’re working on deploying it to all. In the meantime, we can provide the update directly to those who contact @CommunityHelps via private message and provide the following information:

-Cable account reference number(12 digits beginning with “2”)

-MAC address of modem (12 digits found on the back of your Hitron modem)

Modems will be updated during nightly maintenance windows so you can expect to see the update take effect within 48 hours.

Thank you for your patience.

Original post:  #176

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/page/18/thread...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Note that this update addresses the League of Legends issue as well as the latency issue observed when pinging the modem. This should also address latency issues through the modem which is good news for anyone who games, not just with LOL, or who runs a time or latency intolerant application. 

The firmware solution that addresses the latency issue will also be applied to the next firmware updates for the CGN3 and CGN3AC, however there is no timeline as of yet for release dates for those modems. 

The Cable account reference number is located within the Internet section of your bill. The account number that you normally see or use is comprised of various home services such as Internet, Home Phone, Home Monitoring, etc, but the requested reference number is located at the top of the Internet section of your monthly account statement.

------

Edited to add the below info:

If you send in your request during the day or early evening, you will probably see the update pushed out either very late in the evening or during the overnight maintenance period.  If not, then it should be pushed out no later than the next night.  The update will install regardless of the operating mode of the modem, Gateway or Bridge mode.

You can tell if you have the latest firmware by logging into the modem to check the firmware version or simply pinging the modem.  The old version is 4.4.8.13.  The new version is 4.5.8.16

If you are connected directly to the modem with the modem in Gateway mode, you can log into and ping 192.168.0.1   If you are connect to a router with the modem in Bridge mode you can log into, and ping 192.168.100.1

Here is an example of what you see with the previous 4.4.8.13 loaded:

ping 192.168.100.1 -n 1000

Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=63

Ping statistics for 192.168.100.1:

Packets: Sent = 1000, Received = 1000, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 139ms, Average = 6ms

Note the random ping times and average of 6 ms.

Here is the ping test after 4.5.8.16 is pushed out:

ping 192.168.100.1 -n 1000

Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=63

Ping statistics for 192.168.100.1:

Packets: Sent = 1000, Received = 1000, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 67ms, Average = 1ms

Note that the average ping time to the modem drops from an average of 5 to 6 ms down to 1 ms.  Its not perfect as there are still random high ping times in the double digits, but its still a very good improvement.

There are two bugs in this updated version:

1.  The wifi is all or nothing.  You either have to have both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks running, or both disabled.

2.  The firmware doesn't appear to save the enabled / disabled state for the wifi, so, if the power goes out at some point, when the modem fires up, there is a mismatch between what the wifi is actually doing, ie, on or off, and what the user interface indicates.  The way around this is to first save a backup file for the modem.  Navigate to ADMIN.....BACKUP and use the Backup button to create a backup file somewhere on your pc.  Do this when you have the modem settings configured to your preferences.  If the power ever goes out, run a factory reset by pressing the reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds and releasing it.  You can also initiate a reset from the ADMIN....DEVICE RESET page.  After the reset and reboot, reload the backup file using the ADMIN....BACKUP page, and then reboot.  Problem solved.

The all or nothing issue has been resolved for the next firmware release.

181 REPLIES 181

Re: *** CGN3ACSMR - League of Legends – latency: firmware release pending

Your signal levels on both downstream and upstream are good, as are the signal to noise ratios on the downstream.  The fact that your getting 325 Mb/s down on a speedtest is indicating that the signal levels are not a problem.  What are the upstream speedtest numbers like?  Can you have a look at the back of the modem and check to see what colour the connected port LED is.  Amber denotes a 1 Gb/s connection with the follow-on device, green denotes a 10/100 connection. When you run a speedtest with the android box, what server are you using for the speedtest?

My upload on computer is 20Mbps and about 11Mbps on Android Tv.

Computer plugged into the modem comes up amber.

Android plugged into the modem comes up green.

Is there a fix for this?  Or do I have to buy a gigabit switch and run it through there first before it goes to the Android box.  Will that fix things?  Not sure why there is no fix on the modem for this.

This is an interesting question.  This was a problem with the CGN3 prior to its current 4.2.4.5 firmware but I don't know if that problem carried on to the CGN3ACSMR.  The temporary work around was to use a gigabit switch between the modem and the device.  That's not terribly expensive to do.  If you happened to have an older router around that your aren't using, and that has gigabit ports, you could use that.  If the switch or port solves the situation, you will have found a firmware bug.  I would have thought that there would be more incidents posted in the forum if that was the case.  Is there any requirement for port forwarding for the Android box?

None that I am aware of for port forwarding.

I have my Hitron running to a patch panel and up to my router which is the Asus AC2400 AC87R in my office.  Thankfully i ran a backup jack, so i will run it out from my router into the backup jack and cross loop it at the patch panel so that tha Android runs off my router and I will see what happens. 

I will update with my speeds shortly after I do that. 

Mandos
I'm here a lot

Ok.  So I ran a speed test again and it was 33 download and 19-20 upload.  Upload was fine, download was throttled.

I patched it through my router and I am now getting 57-58 download and 20 upload.

I was expecting more than that, but could be prime time right now.  This just proves that the CGN2ACSMR still is being throttled and the patch I received didn't fix it.

Therefore, patching it through my router is a temporary solution for the time being.

Interesting results.  How do you have your network set up.  Hitron into the patch panel, router connected through the patch panel, and I assume you had Hiton LAN port connected to the Android Patch Panel port as well.  Is the Hitron running in Gateway mode with the router running in Access Point mode?  Or, is the Hitron running in Bridge mode, router in full router mode and the Android using the second IP address from the Bridged modem?

Do you happen to have structured wiring in your house so that upstairs, at the wallplate for the router you would have two RG-6 cables and one Cat 5 for ethernet and one Cat 3 or possibly Cat 5 for telephone?  If that was the case, and one of the RG-6 cables was available, you could park the modem upstairs and then run modem - Cat 5 - Router - Cat 5 back down to the patch panel.  At the patch panel you would have a gigabit switch between the Router and the Patch Panel, so that in effect you would end up with Router - Cat 5 - gigabit switch - Cat 5 patch cable - Patch Panel.  That is what I have at my home so that I can keep an occasional eye on the modem.

roofed
I plan to stick around

So i noticed that there is a new version that was suppost to be released this week i have been checking my firmware version and it's still the same today do i need to message @CommunityHelps  to get this firmware also? or is this on the stable branch?

Luuin
I've been around

Having the same issue. My firmware has yet to update.  I messaged communityhelps which i'd recommend you do the same.  They said it's supposed to update by itself by now if I'm reading the messages correctly. But mine still hasnt.

Surprised there's no tool when you're in your modem changing options to force a check for an update.

roofed
I plan to stick around

Yeah i sent @CommunityHelps a message i'm wondering since they told you it's now their main update then maybe we need to restart our modems?

Update:  restart did not work

4.5.8.16 was distributed network wide last week to the CGC3ACSMRs.  But there may be stragglers that didn't update.  If so, log into your modem, navigate to the STATUS.... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into a new thread.  Title it something like "Signal check CGN3ACSMR".  In some cases where there were cable signal issues the update could not be pushed out to the modem.  So, that is something to check, just in case.  The modem should restart on its own when the update is completed.

roofed
I plan to stick around

Oh wait so it's the same version but new with the new fixes? i'm going to test to see if the modem will remember my settings should i recreate a new backup with this version or keep the same one i have now?

update: nope my modem will not remember the settings tried to turn just the 5ghz on and did not work then turned on 2.4.ghz the light came on but not for 5ghz and it's not broadcasting so it must not be on the new version or this version does not contain the save fix. Also my signal is fine all down streams are -4 -5 and SnR is 35-36 max channel is 20 tho not sure if it's suppost to be 20 or 24 same with upstream is just 40 i had a new line put in recently so there should be no problems unless its the area.

RogersAsif
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello Community

If you requested the firmware patch earlier, you will be specifically targeted to receive the final version. This will be done automatically.

To clear things up the firmware version will still show 4.5.8.16 but will be the newer version.

As firmware improvements are an on-going thing, anything that is not addressed will be addressed in future releases.

As of right now, the update only applies to the CGN3ACSMR.

RogersAsif

Hello All,

Where can I send request for Firmware update? I have join the Community forum and tried to look for a link or place but coudn't find it. Any help will be greatly appreciaited.

Thank you in advance.

ASP17

RogersAsif
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @ASP1 Welcome to the Community

Are you talking about the CGN3ACSMR?  If so,the update should apply automatically within 48 hours.

RogersAsif

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are you running a CGN3 or CGN3ACSMR as seen on the product sticker at the back of the modem?

Hi RogersAsif,
Thank you for prompt reply. I Will check it after 48 hours.

Yes, I am talking about CGN3ACSMR. I will wait and hope it will update firmware by that time as I have lots of issues with this.  Once logon to router interface .. there is no Time option available under Admin section where one can change timezone!!! hope they will fix that too.

Thank you for your suggestion.

ASP1

dazthanabal
I've been here awhile

How can I update the firmware on my router to this, it is currently at 4.4.8.14

1z062nv
I plan to stick around

What is the latest firmware update for the CGN3ACSMR modem, heard there was a new release this week?

thanks

As far as I am aware its still 4.5.8.16 which was deployed to all CGN3ACSMRs across the network as of Friday 10 Jul 2015

1z062nv
I plan to stick around

oh ok read on this forum a new update pushed this week

Topic Stats