cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*** CGN3ACSMR - League of Legends – latency: firmware release pending

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Update: The new firmware has now been deployed across the network. Customers who received a modem with the old firmware will be updated automatically within 48-72 hours. There is no need to submit your MAC Address & Cable Account Reference number as the update will happen automatically.

This only applies to the CGN3ACSMR.

Announced as of the evening of Thursday 28 May, a firmware update to address the League of Legends issue is close to deployment. Updates are available as indicated in the message below from CommuntyHelps
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hello Community

Good news! We have received a firmware patch from Hitron that resolves the connectivity issue with League of Legends and we’re working on deploying it to all. In the meantime, we can provide the update directly to those who contact @CommunityHelps via private message and provide the following information:

-Cable account reference number(12 digits beginning with “2”)

-MAC address of modem (12 digits found on the back of your Hitron modem)

Modems will be updated during nightly maintenance windows so you can expect to see the update take effect within 48 hours.

Thank you for your patience.

Original post:  #176

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/page/18/thread...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Note that this update addresses the League of Legends issue as well as the latency issue observed when pinging the modem. This should also address latency issues through the modem which is good news for anyone who games, not just with LOL, or who runs a time or latency intolerant application. 

The firmware solution that addresses the latency issue will also be applied to the next firmware updates for the CGN3 and CGN3AC, however there is no timeline as of yet for release dates for those modems. 

The Cable account reference number is located within the Internet section of your bill. The account number that you normally see or use is comprised of various home services such as Internet, Home Phone, Home Monitoring, etc, but the requested reference number is located at the top of the Internet section of your monthly account statement.

------

Edited to add the below info:

If you send in your request during the day or early evening, you will probably see the update pushed out either very late in the evening or during the overnight maintenance period.  If not, then it should be pushed out no later than the next night.  The update will install regardless of the operating mode of the modem, Gateway or Bridge mode.

You can tell if you have the latest firmware by logging into the modem to check the firmware version or simply pinging the modem.  The old version is 4.4.8.13.  The new version is 4.5.8.16

If you are connected directly to the modem with the modem in Gateway mode, you can log into and ping 192.168.0.1   If you are connect to a router with the modem in Bridge mode you can log into, and ping 192.168.100.1

Here is an example of what you see with the previous 4.4.8.13 loaded:

ping 192.168.100.1 -n 1000

Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=63

Ping statistics for 192.168.100.1:

Packets: Sent = 1000, Received = 1000, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 139ms, Average = 6ms

Note the random ping times and average of 6 ms.

Here is the ping test after 4.5.8.16 is pushed out:

ping 192.168.100.1 -n 1000

Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=63

Ping statistics for 192.168.100.1:

Packets: Sent = 1000, Received = 1000, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 67ms, Average = 1ms

Note that the average ping time to the modem drops from an average of 5 to 6 ms down to 1 ms.  Its not perfect as there are still random high ping times in the double digits, but its still a very good improvement.

There are two bugs in this updated version:

1.  The wifi is all or nothing.  You either have to have both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks running, or both disabled.

2.  The firmware doesn't appear to save the enabled / disabled state for the wifi, so, if the power goes out at some point, when the modem fires up, there is a mismatch between what the wifi is actually doing, ie, on or off, and what the user interface indicates.  The way around this is to first save a backup file for the modem.  Navigate to ADMIN.....BACKUP and use the Backup button to create a backup file somewhere on your pc.  Do this when you have the modem settings configured to your preferences.  If the power ever goes out, run a factory reset by pressing the reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds and releasing it.  You can also initiate a reset from the ADMIN....DEVICE RESET page.  After the reset and reboot, reload the backup file using the ADMIN....BACKUP page, and then reboot.  Problem solved.

The all or nothing issue has been resolved for the next firmware release.

181 REPLIES 181

Re: *** CGN3ACSMR - League of Legends – latency: firmware release pending

You might see the update by late tonight.  Possibly by the time that you return the local stores might have more in stock.  I wouldn't worry about it until you return and have a chance to test out the PS4 first.  Hopefully by then there will be additional info posted in the forum and we'll know what's up.

If you are on a defined monthly limit of X Gb, and you don't need to have your modem left on for any reason, unplug it so that its not powered.  When you return check your daily stats just to make sure there wasn't any strange download / upload numbers generated in your absence.  With the modem unplugged, those numbers should be zero during your absence.

geoff890
I plan to stick around

So I just got the update. Put the modem into bridged mode and the ASUS to full router but now when I do speed tests I get around 95Mb/s download but before the update I got around 325Mb/s downloads. Why is it so much slower?

EDIT: It seems as if it is being throttled because every test is coming out at 94 which makes no sence considering I have the 250Mb/s package and as I said before I was getting around 325Mb/s

Log into the Asus router and look for a tab located in LAN....SWITCH CONTROL.  In that Switch Control tab is a Hardware Acceleration setting which should be ON or Enabled.

Hopefully Datalink can pop back in, i think he was handling the thread on it.

There is a few settings on the Asus which seemed to be doing it.
(i think related to QoS, etc.)

That Hardware Acceleration is really is a poor name for this function as its real function is to enable or disable Broadcom's Cut Through Forwarding (CTF).  The CTF is essentially data forwarding at the chip level, WAN IP address in, LAN IP address out.  It is designed to get the data to the end device as fast as possible using the fastest path possible.  However, the minute that you select some function, such as QOS, traffic monitoring and others, which requires processing by the router processor, you end up disabling CTF which then routes the data into the processor for some form of processing and finally out to the LAN IP address.  So you take a double hit, one for losing the CTF path, and the second for the processing time within the processor, all of which results in reduced throughput.  When you select a function somewhere in the interface, you might not see any warning of the CTF being disabled at that point.  So, that is the first thing to check.

Gdkitty, isn't your modem the same one, the RT-N66U?

@geoff890 did you run a factory reset on the Asus router, or did you have it up and running as a router previous to the firmware download?

I'm assuming the the switch control tab is in the LAN sub-section, as it is with my RT-AC68U.  What is it they say about assuming...hmm.  If you have to enable it, you might have to reboot the router for the change to take effect.

geoff890
I plan to stick around

Under LAN>Switch Control the 2 options I see are "Enable Jumbo Frame" which is set to Disable and "NAT Acceleration" which is set to Auto. Is it one of these that I am supposed to be changing for that hardware acceleration thing?

I forgot you had suggested resetting the router. I just reset it and actually it seems to be back up to speed now.

Also something I have noticed on the PS4 now is that when testing the internet connection it no longer hangs for a few seconds while checking NAT Type. Also when I used to do the SharePlay Test Connection Speed its comes up as Good whereas it used to come up as Too Slow. I haven't been able to test party chat yet but so far between the firmware update and bridging the modem and putting the ASUS into full router mode it seems to be working well. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Under LAN>Switch Control the 2 options I see are "Enable Jumbo Frame" which is set to Disable and "NAT Acceleration" which is set to Auto. Is it one of these that I am supposed to be changing for that hardware acceleration thing?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Leave the Jumbo Frame disabled and leave the "NAT Acceleration" set to Auto.  Just keep in mind that enabling QOS, Traffic Monitoring, and other functions that require the router processor to do something to, or with the data will kick off the NAT Acceleration and you will see the speed drop. 

So far, it sounds very promising.  Keep the updates coming 🙂

If you run the PS4 behind the Asus firewall, you will probably have to use port forwarding to keep the PS4 running correctly.

roofed
I plan to stick around

So it's been quite a few days now and my modem has been working fine but just the other day i tried to turn on my wifi 2.4ghz the light comes on but it does not broadcast i tried to restart the modem and by default the wifi lights turn on 2.4ghz and 5ghz but there is no broadcast happening so as of now i tested again today and turning on the wifi 2.4ghz turns on the 2.4ghz lights but does not broadcast the wifi signal at all this is the same for 5ghz also.

So i'm not sure what has happned here but the modem does not broadcast wifi at all i'm not sure if this is firmware related.

Have you tried a factory reset by holding down the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds and then releasing it.  Of course its a pain to reset everything, but, if you do that and get it running the way you want it, create a backup file that you can restore the settings with if the modem misbehaves again.  To do that, log into the modem and go to Admin.....Backup, and create a backup file on your pc somewhere that you can use later to restore the settings.

It looks like the modem is not storing the wifi configuration properly.

roofed
I plan to stick around

Keep in mind i'm on the beta firmware wont doing a factory reset also reset the firmware back to default?

Also in admin -> Device reset there is a factory reset there also wont that be the samething instead of hitting the buton?

It should set it back to the default settings which will be the beta firmware settings.  I can't imagine a device like this having two sets of firmware loads available like some advanced motherboards do.  If that was the case,you would have a means of selecting either one.  Yep, the ADMIN...DEVICE RESET.....Factory Reset button will do the same.

roofed
I plan to stick around

Ok i'll give it a try and report back thanks for your help

roofed
I plan to stick around

Ok so reporting back  did the factory reset it fixed the problem the modem did have a hard time connecting with the downstream idk why my signal is fine so i just let it sit then it connected wifi is working great also made a backup.

Just one thing i noticed Guest SSID and it's wifi page seems to be missing i cannot find it anywhere under status says it's turned off but cant find the page to change settings?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The guest network, is ONLY able to set up via the USB setup key (which screws up other things sometimes).

I beleive calling in and rogers reps can set it as well.

Akimova
I plan to stick around

^^ SMR (as well as the regular ACR) boxes don't get usb sticks issued anymore (actually the ACR is no longer avaliable at all, only the SMR version). When I first received a used Advanced modem it did have a stick with some CISCO software on it. I tried it but it never worked as intended, so I just used the build-in interface. All other modems that I tried (all of them were new in hitron-branded boxes) had no USB sticks of any kind.

As of the new firmware, I've been running it for a few days now. I don't play LOL but other online games see no real improvement ping-wise, it's still 10-25ms more than what I had with my CISCO modem before switching to 100u. In fact sometimes it's even worse than what I had with ACR a week before. Maybe it's the node I'm connected to, or maybe it's overall network issues as we had a network outage a week ago and it still slow, the upload speed is worse than dial-up today actually. So I'm not sure what is to blame atm.

Can you log into your modem, navigate to the STATUS.....DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into a new thread so that I can check them.  Title the thread   CGN3ACSMR Signal Level Check   or something to that effect.  Those tables contain the RG-6 signal levels and signal to noise ratios which might be of some interest given your comments.

The firmware update we are getting is beta correct? Will Rogers push the final version out once it's ready, or is this the final version?

roofed
I plan to stick around

I hope not cause this one fixes the latency issue but breaks the wifi the only way for me to turn my wifi on is by using a backup file i made with when it was turned on. Turning the wifi off then back on again does not turn the wifi on at all only the light for 2.4ghz comes on but not 5ghz and it does not broadcast restarting the modem fixes nothing you have to use a backup file or do a factory reset to enable the wifi again. But they said they have fixed this issue in the next firmware so i would like to test that before they call it stable.

SoBlackv
I've been around

Was having issue with Blizzard games with latency(lag/dc) (Heroes of the storm and Hearthstone) with GCN3ACSMR(prior to firmware update).

I just received firmware update and it seems that I have no issue so far... Just in case that this is somehow happening for now, I'll have to test again tomorrow during primetime and hope the updated firmware fixed issue with Blizzard games as well.

Thanks for quick firmware update .

nmor4
I've been here awhile

I see this the orginal post  more than two weeks old now. I just switch to Ignite service and got a new router (CGN3ACSMR) and since I havent been able to play LoL or any Battle.net game without crippling lag. Now I only got the router about a week ago, clearly this firmware update wasn't on it/hasn't been released yet. Just looking for an update on this release because I still can't connect to these services at all.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Go to the first post in this thread, take a read thru it and send the modem's MAC addresss and your Cable Account Reference Number, which is located at the top of the Internet section of your bill to CommunityHelps.  When you are signed into the forum, just follow this link @CommunityHelps to get to the public page and follow the link on the upper right hand corner titled "Send this user a private message" to take you to the next page.  The pm address is already filled in, just have to fill in a title and your info and hit Send.  If the staff aren't terribly busy with a number of requests, you might see the update pushed out later tonight.   

Topic Stats