cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*** CGN3ACSMR - League of Legends – latency: firmware release pending

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Update: The new firmware has now been deployed across the network. Customers who received a modem with the old firmware will be updated automatically within 48-72 hours. There is no need to submit your MAC Address & Cable Account Reference number as the update will happen automatically.

This only applies to the CGN3ACSMR.

Announced as of the evening of Thursday 28 May, a firmware update to address the League of Legends issue is close to deployment. Updates are available as indicated in the message below from CommuntyHelps
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hello Community

Good news! We have received a firmware patch from Hitron that resolves the connectivity issue with League of Legends and we’re working on deploying it to all. In the meantime, we can provide the update directly to those who contact @CommunityHelps via private message and provide the following information:

-Cable account reference number(12 digits beginning with “2”)

-MAC address of modem (12 digits found on the back of your Hitron modem)

Modems will be updated during nightly maintenance windows so you can expect to see the update take effect within 48 hours.

Thank you for your patience.

Original post:  #176

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/page/18/thread...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Note that this update addresses the League of Legends issue as well as the latency issue observed when pinging the modem. This should also address latency issues through the modem which is good news for anyone who games, not just with LOL, or who runs a time or latency intolerant application. 

The firmware solution that addresses the latency issue will also be applied to the next firmware updates for the CGN3 and CGN3AC, however there is no timeline as of yet for release dates for those modems. 

The Cable account reference number is located within the Internet section of your bill. The account number that you normally see or use is comprised of various home services such as Internet, Home Phone, Home Monitoring, etc, but the requested reference number is located at the top of the Internet section of your monthly account statement.

------

Edited to add the below info:

If you send in your request during the day or early evening, you will probably see the update pushed out either very late in the evening or during the overnight maintenance period.  If not, then it should be pushed out no later than the next night.  The update will install regardless of the operating mode of the modem, Gateway or Bridge mode.

You can tell if you have the latest firmware by logging into the modem to check the firmware version or simply pinging the modem.  The old version is 4.4.8.13.  The new version is 4.5.8.16

If you are connected directly to the modem with the modem in Gateway mode, you can log into and ping 192.168.0.1   If you are connect to a router with the modem in Bridge mode you can log into, and ping 192.168.100.1

Here is an example of what you see with the previous 4.4.8.13 loaded:

ping 192.168.100.1 -n 1000

Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=63

Ping statistics for 192.168.100.1:

Packets: Sent = 1000, Received = 1000, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 139ms, Average = 6ms

Note the random ping times and average of 6 ms.

Here is the ping test after 4.5.8.16 is pushed out:

ping 192.168.100.1 -n 1000

Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=63

Ping statistics for 192.168.100.1:

Packets: Sent = 1000, Received = 1000, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 67ms, Average = 1ms

Note that the average ping time to the modem drops from an average of 5 to 6 ms down to 1 ms.  Its not perfect as there are still random high ping times in the double digits, but its still a very good improvement.

There are two bugs in this updated version:

1.  The wifi is all or nothing.  You either have to have both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks running, or both disabled.

2.  The firmware doesn't appear to save the enabled / disabled state for the wifi, so, if the power goes out at some point, when the modem fires up, there is a mismatch between what the wifi is actually doing, ie, on or off, and what the user interface indicates.  The way around this is to first save a backup file for the modem.  Navigate to ADMIN.....BACKUP and use the Backup button to create a backup file somewhere on your pc.  Do this when you have the modem settings configured to your preferences.  If the power ever goes out, run a factory reset by pressing the reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds and releasing it.  You can also initiate a reset from the ADMIN....DEVICE RESET page.  After the reset and reboot, reload the backup file using the ADMIN....BACKUP page, and then reboot.  Problem solved.

The all or nothing issue has been resolved for the next firmware release.

181 REPLIES 181

Re: *** CGN3ACSMR - League of Legends – latency: firmware release pending

Aelph
I plan to stick around

This is great to hear. I don't have a CGN3ACSMR router, but this sounds like it should address some of the issues people have been having regarding latency and I'd be interested in hearing people's results of testing.

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

@Datalink do you think it's worth it to upgrade from a CGN3 to a CGN3ACSMR/CGN3AC? And what's the different b/w a CGN3ACSMR and CGN3AC?

I'm actually thinking of doing this myself, even though I own my CGN3.  If I knew for example that the CGN3 update was going to arrive in a few days, I would say wait for it.  But, there is no timeline as of yet, so it could be days or weeks, never know.  If you can put up with the poor gaming performance of the SMR version for a day or two until the update is pushed out to the modem, I'd say go ahead. 

Whats the difference between the CGN3AC and CGN3ACSMR, don't know.  Speculation on my part is that its just a different manufacturing run, possibly with different but equivalent components.  I will ask the question.

RyzenFX

So basically the CGN3ACSMR is basically the same as the CGN3 with (poor gaming performance untill update is pushed out in the next 48 hours). 

Do you think that the WiFi output is more reliable on the CGN3 or CGN3AC/CGN3ACSMR?

Correct on the firmware push-out.

The wifi on the CGN3AC and CGN3ACSMR on the 2.4 Ghz network will work as advertised.  According to the Wifi Alliance, the CGNV4 (read AC and ACSMR) is rated to handle mixed device environments.  That is to say, if you run a mixed batch of single antenna, single data stream / dual antenna dual data stream /triple antenna, triple data stream devices simultaneously, the modem will or should handle all of those devices at the max wifi connection rates that the modem and device can run at, given of course distance and signal to noise ratios. 

The CGN3, in the same environment will simply lock down in wifi connection rate to the slowest device on the network.  So, if you have a really capable gaming laptop or pc and a single antenna phone running, the data connection rates, and therefore delivered data rates to all devices will only go as fast as the phone will allow.  So, if you rely on good 2.4 Ghz performance, on paper at least, your choice should be the AC or ACSMR modems.

In terms of reliability, I used the 5 Ghz network on my CGN3 without any issues.  2.4 Ghz in my neighborhood works, considering that there are about 35 to 40 routers running nearby, but the 5 Ghz performance is definitely the way to go.  If you have any 802.11ac capable devices, then I would think that either the AC or ACSMR modem is the choice that you should be making.

Just for comparisons sake, with my CGN3, the best 802.11n 2.4 Ghz rate that I saw was just over 100 Mb/s.  With 802.11n 5 Ghz, 200 Mb/s.  With my Asus RT-AC68U running in full router mode, on a gaming laptop the connection rate is 1300 Mb/s with 802.11ac and the download test rate wired or wireless tops out at 328 Mb/s, which is as fast as my 250 mb/s internet plan will deliver.  I would expect the AC and ACSMR, on an 802.11AC wifi mode to deliver above the 200 Mb/s that appears to be the max with the CGN3.  How much higher, don't know as I can't recall anyone posting results from an 802.11ac wifi speedtest with a CGN3AC or CGN3ACSMR.

RyzenFX

So basically the CG3AC/ACSMR are capable of handling more devices since it is rated to handle mixed device environments. So let's say if there's 5 devices using the 2.4GHz band, theoretically the CGN3AC/ACSMR should be able to provide better speeds (or atleast handle the devices better) than the CGN3 on the same band?

Also is the interface loading speed any faster than the CGN3's? In addition, does the upcoming firmware update address other issues than LoL?

*** CGN3ACSMR - League of Legends – latency: firmware release pending

Vibe
I plan to stick around

I just wanted to let everyone know this is a great update it seems to have fixed all my gaming issues I am on XBL and now I have no lag connect to parties right away and find games in a second as before nothing was working and my old issue with DNS benchmark is gone too now almost all servers have no loss also ran some ping tests on dslreports before my modem was scoring 87/100 after doing the test at least 5x I am scoring 100 out of 100 score great job Rogers only problem I been having is for some reason my wi-fi keeps dropping and I am in bridge mode not sure why might be my router 

RyzenFX

Vibe, what router are you using CGN3 bridge mode with? Also, have you recently updated the router's firmware?

@RyzenFX

The modems are probably all capable of handling the same number of devices. I think that a router can, in theory handle several hundred devices on a network. I’ve seen the numbers somewhere, but can’t remember them off the top of my head. The AC and ACSMR versions, in theory should deliver the maximum connection rates to each devices considering distance to the modem and signal to noise ratios at both ends of the transmission of a 2.4 Ghz network. So, its not a question of handling more devices, it’s a question of handling each device properly, and conducting the necessary channel checks to allow the highest connection rate possible with a 40 Mhz wide channel. That in turn allows the highest possible data rate delivered to the mobile device. Remember that I say in theory as the absolute test is to use a single antenna device which is limited to a 20 Mhz channel, and dual or triple antenna device simultaneously and watch the connection rates for each device when the single antenna device leaves or joins the network. The connection rate on the dual or triple antenna device should not change. That is the final proof that the AC and ACSMR modems behave as they should. No one has come to the forum with that kind of absolute proof, so, at this point it’s all theoretical. 

The CGN3 on the other hand we’ve seen. I’ve looked at posted results, gone through equipment specs and the Modulation and Coding Index for 802.11n to determine what the CGN3 does, and, in a nutshell, it transmits and receives at the connection rate of the slowest device on the network. Some single antenna devices like USB dongles are extremely limited in their capability, and when connected to a CGN3 network, those dongle rates are used by the CGN3 to determine the connection rate for everything on the network, regardless of the capability of those other devices. And then the ultimate question comes up, “why is my network running so slow” where channel congestion and received signal power has nothing to do with the problem. That takes a little digging to figure out but it can be done.

So, hopefully that explains why the AC and ACSMR versions should be the modem of choice if in fact you are using a 2.4 Ghz network and do not want to buy your own router, which, at the end of the day would provide better 2.4 and 5 Ghz service. And, given the firmware update for the CGN3ACSMR, that modem should be the modem of choice once the firmware is updated, all other considerations being equal at this point in time.

As for the interface loading speed, good question. I haven't seen any comments yet, so hopefully someone who has the updated firmware can comment on it.

The firmware also addresses the latency issue with the CGN3 series modems, and if you have read thru any of the comments by other forum members, you will have seen that the update solves issues with other games as well.

Edit:  Reading thru the post by @Vibe the modem he is referring to is the CGN3ACSMR, and I would guess that he had an update pushed out last night.  So far, its looking good, from what he has posted.

Hope this helps.

RyzenFX

@Datalink Thank you so much for the assistance! It's greatly appreciated! :)I might aswell get a CGN3ACSMR soon and send the required information over at CommunityHelps to get the update pushed to the modem ASAP (since it's the modem of choice once the firmware is updated). Again, thank you for your help!

Vibe
I plan to stick around
I have a dlink dir 868 had no problems no wi fi dropping since the update which is the odd part

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Very strange.  2.4 or 5 Ghz network?

@RyzenFX my main consideration for obtaining an SMR version is for the reduced latency with the updated firmware.  I think, at this point in time, that alone makes it worth doing.

Here is something that is worth checking out.  Load inSSIDer on a laptop and check out your wifi environment, both 2.4 and 5 Ghz if the laptop supports 5 Ghz networks.  If you live in an area with many 2.4 Ghz routers running, then the CGN3ACSMR will not do much for you, as it will examine the background noise, determine that the other channels are occupied and keep you in a 20 Mhz wide channel due to that background noise.  But, if you're in an area where there aren't too many routers running, then yes you could see a big increase in the data rates delivered over a 2.4 Ghz network.  Here's the link to the last freebie inSSIDer version, which does not do 802.11ac.  A new pay version is available which displays 802.11ac networks, but you don't need an 802.11ac capable laptop to see those networks.  The program reads the transmission headers and displays the networks.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Vibe
I plan to stick around
Hi datalink and yes i have the latest firmware from November 2014 I believe 5ghz it's been dropping in and out

CX2DUBCAKES
I plan to stick around
Hey Data... Here are the current Stats for my modem

http://192.168.0.1/index.html#status_system/m/1/s/1

Question is, I guess I still haven't received the latest firmware update... 4.5.8.16 and secondly. Why is my time zone not eastern time ?

RyzenFX

@Vibe First of all, let's download the latest firmware because there's a security firmware patch to fix any vulnerabilities on your DIR-868L.  

@CX2DUBCAKES have you submitted the required information to CommunityHelps? It takes somewhere in the 48 hour period to get the firmware on your CGN3ACSMR. Also, they will push the firmware during the night. Also, you can change the timezone if you look around the interface. 

CX2DUBCAKES
I plan to stick around
I just saw the post. I'm doing it as we speak. Okay. Thank you very much

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, but you're using the Dlink for your wireless correct?  Can you follow the link for the freebie inSSIDer version in the post above yours and load that on a laptop.  Have a look at the 5 Ghz networks and see if anyone is competing with your network.  Consider moving to channel 149 or higher as the power output levels for those channels is higher.

I'm assuming that you are running the CGN3 in Bridge mode, in which case there should not be any 5 Ghz wifi transmission from the CGN3.  IF you're running the CGN3 in Gateway mode for some reason, along with the DLink router behind it, have a look at the inSSIDer display for any sign that the CGN3 is broadcasting a 5 Ghz network.  If that was the case, you should see the 5 Ghz wifi LED lit on the front of the CGN3.  But, checking with inSSIDer will let you know what the real story is.

The DLink router has internal antenna, just as the Hitron modem does.  That is unfortunate as an external antenna is the better way to go, personal opinion.  Food for thought.....

CX2DUBCAKES
I plan to stick around
First requirement is cable account reference #
Mine does not start with 2 nor is it 12 digits. Is it not my account number when I log into rogers website to view My Rogers online?

Vibe
I plan to stick around
I had no idea do i just download the first one or both firmware because one says for facebook kind of confused but thank you eddiethefunnyon for showing me this
Topic Stats