cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGN3ACSMR Lan port

huh666
I Plan to Stick Around

When my GN3ACSMR loses its internet connection it will regain the connection  but the lan port "turns off".  The light on the front of the modem and on the lan port goes off and stays off.  I have tried all 4 ports and still encounter this issue.  Is it a problem with the modem?  Any ideas or suggestions.  The only way to resolve is to power cycle the modem.  Thank you.

232 REPLIES 232

Re: CGN3ACSMR Lan port

akraz
I Plan to Stick Around
I just came home and my network was down again. 

To answer your question, yes I have a fiber terminal coming into my house that has fiber in and coax out to modem and funny enough, a 3rd coax cable for power (dont ask). 

I can also replicate the issue by unplugged my coax cable and reconnecting it. all 4 lan ports die and do not come back up unless I power cycle the modem.

huh666
I Plan to Stick Around
Anyone from Rogers have any insight for us on this issue. It seems to me like it is an issue with these modems. Can it be fixed by a firmware update?

HiVolt
I Plan to Stick Around

Add me to the people with issue. I have just upgraded my *BUSINESS* account at work from 60/10 w/Cisco DPC3825 to 100/10, which needed the CGN3 upgrade. It was upgraded Thursday, and early morning Sunday (2am-ish) the thing locked up or whatever. Lucky for me I have a DSL backup so i was able to still receive customer files to our FTP without going to work to reset the modem. Modem is in bridge mode with the .16 firmware

Note to Rogers... Why do you supply such buggy devices for Business customers? Why can't you offer a modem only solution? Hitron does make a modem only device, the CDA3 that's approved and in use by TPIA. Why can't we get that if we don't want a gateway?

I had the DPC3825 for 3 years, and while I struggled with reliability due to RF noise/packetloss in the area, the modem NEVER went offline and never needed to be rebooted because it locked up. Three days in the Hitron locks up.

xitek
I've Been Here Awhile

There were two more lock-ups during the past week. This modem is a joke and technical support is not helping. I'm seriously considering leaving Rogers.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its wierd , as there are people here with the CNG3ACSMR who have zero lock ups either...
(though most of them are all BRIDGE MODE setup though..  maybe thats the diference?)

If the AC wireless is not needed on the ACSMR, and your not on a plan which REQUIRES that unit, you could always step bakc to the CGN3

Unfortunately bridge mode still has it occur.  I went to bridge mode and granted its been doing fine for about a week but my ports locked last week.

Would be nice to hear from Rogers whether or not they are even aware and working on a solution.   

j2pc
I Plan to Stick Around

I have had the CNG3ACSMR for several months or 1yr+ (basically right when it came out) and this problem started happening about 2 weeks ago. I always had problems with the wireless routing with this gateway so I bought the Asus AC68U to use in bridged mode.

Worked fine for several months and then 2 weeks ago it started happening so I called and rep said it is a known issue and requires a firmware update. Had to do a hard reset which defaults all the settings so then I have to bridge it again with the external router. Then it happens again about 4-5 days later. And now a third time today about 3 days later. Of course I have to deal with changing the settings back. 

It's a little bit ridiculous that the "gateway" is so broken both wireless and now the modem bit.

And in case you thought about switching to their competitor "Bell" they only offer you the lower tier service (aka non fibe 5mbps down) so you don't even have a choice if you want to use the larger providers.

akraz
I Plan to Stick Around

My modem has only been in bridge mode and its been happening to me. Bridge and Router mode does not make a difference. This issue is with DOCSIS losing its connection.

To verify, yes i put it in router mode too and happens. 

However, I havent lost connection since last week. 

We'll see how things go.

HiVolt
I Plan to Stick Around

It happened again this morning... This is hugely annoying! this is a business connection!!!

Here's what's in the log, I cleared it yesterday.

1    05/04/16 03:28:15    82000200    critical    No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=f0:f2:49:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:90:c6:21;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
2    05/04/16 15:03:33    82000400    critical    Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=f0:f2:49:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:90:c6:21;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
3    05/04/16 15:04:04    82000200    critical    No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=f0:f2:49:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:90:c6:21;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
4    05/04/16 15:04:13    90000000    warning    MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=f0:f2:49:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:90:c6:21;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
5    05/04/16 15:04:15    73040100    notice    TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=f0:f2:49:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:90:c6:21;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
6    05/04/16 15:04:17    82000200    critical    No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=f0:f2:49:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:90:c6:21;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
7    05/04/16 15:16:26    90000000    warning    MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=f0:f2:49:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:90:c6:21;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
8    05/04/16 15:16:27    73040100    notice    TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=f0:f2:49:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:90:c6:21;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
9    05/04/16 15:16:41    82000200    critical    No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=f0:f2:49:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:90:c6:21;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

@HiVolt your CMTS MAC address identifies the CMTS as a Casa Systems piece of equipment.  I wonder then if this is connected with the ARP request issue as mentioned by @RogersMoin in the following post:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/327...

I believe the Casa Systems equipment is connected with the preparations for Gigabit service and possibly IPV6 implementation.  Perhaps @RogersDave might be interested in this issue as well. 

HiVolt
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't know how to check for the ARP requests... Where would I do this, the modem is in bridge mode. Would it be in my router log?

You might see it in the router logs.  It just depends on the logging settings.  You could connect to a pc directly to the modem when the modem is in Bridge mode, and if that pc had wireshark loaded and running, you would see the ARP requests on the wireshark display. 

If you look at the following thread you can see the ARP requests in one of the images:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30718579-Modem-Router-Help-with-network-issue

After investigation, it appears that on Advanced Rocket Wi-Fi Modems there is an issue where in some cases, the LAN ports becomes disabled. This occurs both in bridged and gateway modes.

Our engineering teams have determined that this occurs if the modem loses connectivity with the Rogers network. This situation can arise if there is a physical break in the transmission lines or equipment but also during normal network maintenance.

We understand this can be a serious issue and are working diligently with our vendor Hitron to remediate this issue as quickly as possible.

This has only been a recent development.  Is there any connection to the deployment of Casa CMTS equipment?  Modems end up with failed responses to maintenance requests all the time.  Why is this causing an issue now?

From my CGN3ACSMR logs today:

10    05/04/16 08:46:04    82000200    critical    No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;

CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:12:43:a9:80:79;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

11    05/04/16 08:46:05    82000300    critical    Ranging Request Retries exhausted;

12    05/04/16 08:46:05    82000600    critical    Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:12:43:a9:80:79;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

13    05/04/16 08:46:14    82000200    critical    No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;

Despite those entries the CGN3ACSMR didn't show any signs of a problem and kept operating.  If the interpretation is correct, this is with a Cisco CMTS.

HiVolt
I Plan to Stick Around

How long is the fix going to be? I am on a business connection and I can't be bothered to remote into my system and switch to backup DSL everytime it decides to lock up.

It's worth mentioning, that when the technician set up the 100u connection last week, he tried TWO plain (Non AC) CGN3 modems first, and they did not work at all. He went to his truck to get the CGN3ACSMR and it worked. He bridged it and thats all she wrote, now twice in less than one week it locked up.

Again the old Cisco DPC3825 worked great. I'd be perfectly alright with getting a swap for that, I know its an 8x4 modem with less channels but at least it would work.

RogersAsif
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @HiVolt

We don't have any confirmed timelines at this point. To my understanding the regular CGN3 should not have this issue. Depending on your package you should be able to switch to it. 

Are you able to provide anymore details on why the Tech was not able to install it?

RogersAsif

huh666
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you for finally letting us know tht Rogers has acknowledged this issue @RogersDave.

akraz
I Plan to Stick Around

I cant believe my eyes. Rogers' finally admitting these modems are faulty 

pwc_brick1
I've Been Here Awhile

cgn3acsmr --- Have to keep re-booting daily

Good day,

For the past week I have been having to unplug and re-plug in my rogers modem twice a day.  Once in the morning and once at night. We have the ignite 100 package if that matters at all.

Now it is set up in bridge mode and I am using a Netgear R7000 router.  Everything has been working fine for the past year and a half but recently the internet keeps going down.  According to my router, thats all running fine.

Phoned tech support line and they say everything is working fine on their end.  

Last night while watching netflix it just cut out again, so down I went un-plugged and plugged back in and away we went again.  I don't want to be having to do this everyday!!!   I updated the firm ware on my router thinking that might solve it last night, however work up this morning and it was down again. 

Would exchanging it be a possible solution???  I don't really know what else to do, any advise would be much apprectiated. Is there a firmware update for the actual modem maybe??  (Don't think I can get in to update since it's in bridge mode)

Any ideas?????

Please and thanks,

Chris

As mentioned a few posts above.. it does appear to be a firmware bug which effects some of the ACSMR units.

That you are on the 100u package, it doesnt require the ACSMR unit.. you could go swap it for a CGN3 regular unit.

HiVolt
I Plan to Stick Around

When the tech tried the two CGN3's they would not assign an IP, on his test laptop. He even phoned someone, they suggested he try the ACSMR. He did, and it worked.

BTW, the ACSMR locked up again today I was right there so I was able to capture it on video, though I'm not sure any more proof is needed at this point.

https://vid.me/xZa0

I suppose I could try calling Rogers and requesting  a CGN3 swap and make them try until it works.

Topic Stats