cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGN3ACSMR Lan port

huh666
I Plan to Stick Around

When my GN3ACSMR loses its internet connection it will regain the connection  but the lan port "turns off".  The light on the front of the modem and on the lan port goes off and stays off.  I have tried all 4 ports and still encounter this issue.  Is it a problem with the modem?  Any ideas or suggestions.  The only way to resolve is to power cycle the modem.  Thank you.

232 REPLIES 232

Re: CGN3ACSMR Lan port

Hi 

I have an asus RT-AC5300 router hooked up to port 1 on my CGN3ACR Gateway.

the modem  is in bridged mode  and the ethernet on the modem keeps losing connection to my router. i have confirmed it is the Modem As only resetting the modem fixes the problem temporarily.

The cable is a cat 6E that connects the router and a modem , i have tried 4 different cables. to no avail.

any help would be appreciated.

@mrhexen wrote:

Any idea if this new firmware will resolve the "LAN light going out problem" on these modems? Mine goes out daily for the last week.

The current firmware being deployed 4.5.8.20 does not include the fix for the LAN port going down.

We are however evaluating possible interim solutions for users affected by this problem.

Hello, @Darrylmcc87

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for your detailed post. The symptom you've described is identified with the CGN3ACSMR model, would you please confirm the model of your modem? At the back of the modem, the model is printed on the barcode sticker. 

Thanks, 

RogersMoin

sorry you are correct it is a CGN3ACSMR

docj
I've Been Here Awhile

docj
I've Been Here Awhile

My modem is in the basement in my locked media room and she's 87, not good with going up and down stairs so I'm just biting the bullet and going home early to reboot the modem. 

Does this happen if we run in gateway mode or is it just in bridged mode?

@docj

Doesn't matter what mode unfortunately.   The lan ports are tied to the rogers connection.  If modem loses sync the lan ports shutdown not sure why they (Hitron) did this or if its just some modems as couple of my friends haven't experienced this issue but also could just be their rogers connection is more stable.  I haven't had to reset for 2 weeks now (amazingly touch wood).

I was in gateway and cause didn't like that I lose all my internal networking too when it lost sync so switched to bridge but it happens to it aswell just now I loose all forms of connection to the outside world.

We just have to wait for rogers to release the firmware update as they've stated they working with Hitron on this issue hoping they will have fix sooner then later.  

Only thing I can suggest to saving from having to go over to reset is setup a wireless AP in gateway mode or something from the rogers modem to another as the wireless doesn't drop just the physical ports.

akraz
I Plan to Stick Around

It happens in all modes. THe issue with the modem has nothing to do with how it is set up as the issue is affecting DOCSIS resync.

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor

Same issue here in Woodbridge (Hwy 400 & Teston Rd).  I have a CGN3ACSMR in bridge mode connected to an Asus RT-AC68U router.  For the last several days, I've had to reboot both CGN modem and Asus router several times per day due to LAN ports on the CGN shutting off randomly.  I noticed this started happening after 2 main changes in the past week:

1. CGN was updated to firmware 4.5.8.20

2. Rogers trucks were in the neighbourhood for several days.  After they left, I noticed I was eligible for gigabit internet.  I assume Rogers was upgrading the node(s).

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor

Quick update.  I just called into tech support to report the problem.  Surprise surprise, the tech wasn't much help.  He said he's never heard of this issue before (ok, fair enough if this is something relatively new), and he recommended that I get the modem replaced.  I'm not keen on doing that just yet as I believe this isn't a hardware/modem issue.  I'll wait for the problem to happen again (more than likely tomorrow) and then I'll call back in.

I wouldn't bother exchanging the modem unless you want to step down to the CGN3 from the CGN3ACSMR until this is resolved.  Hopefully @RogersDave will have news regarding the situation fairly soon.  I think tech support is out of the loop on this one.

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor

Thanks.  I just read the post.  I guess I'll need to be patient...again.  I really don't know why I stick with these guys...must be the discounts! 😉

Think of it as growing pains on the path to IPV6 and gigabit service 🙂

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor

Silly question...

I understand the LAN ports shut down when the modem loses sync or connection to the cable network.  Why does that happen so frequently?  For my modem, it's at least once or twice per day.  Does that mean the Rogers cable network in my area is THAT unstable?

vlad123
I've Been Around

I am having the same problem for about a month. I am in Maple, Major Mac/Dufferin area. Had my modem replaced last weekend and the issue still there. I was having no issues for about 4 months once I switched to that type of modem. Just yesterday talked to Rogers support and as usual they blamed my router and told me that everything is fine on their end. After that I decided to troubleshot modem myself and  realized that the LAN ports are completelly dead. Searched the internet and found this forum. Apparently the issue is known, but Rogers is trying to hide it from customers. I have Rogers internet for more than 10 years and very disapointed with the way they handle it.

I wouldn't necessarily say that Rogers is trying to hide the issue.  I think its more a case of the forum staff, Resident Experts and some forum members being ahead of Tech Support on this issue, which is very recent.  That comes down to someone deciding what information to disseminate to Tech Support staff.  This isn't the first time that the forum was ahead of Tech Support and probably won't be the last either.

HiVolt
I Plan to Stick Around

OK, but the problem has been known and acknowledged, it's a serious problem, why isn't the info channeled to tech support?

Why are they misleading customers saying its their routers, sending useless truck rolls wasting resources, wasting modem hardware on swaps, when it's just that...

They should be saying that there is a problem and it's being worked on, and a temporary solution is to swap down to the older CGN3 modem, while it has less wireless capability, it's at least stable and does not require power-cycling...

Yup, absolutely agree with you.

Noobcamper
I Plan to Stick Around

I guess my question would be, why has this only started occuring in the last few weeks?

I know from my end, I was having ping issues with a base CGN3. I upgraded to the AC, and my ping issues are gone, but now it crashes constantly, some days worse than others. Yesterday I had issues with speed (which were resolved by a reboot) and the LAN freezing issue.

Something happened with the rogers network a few weeks ago, and hasn't been fixed since, only changed.

My guess is it has to do with the infrastructure upgrade to allow 1gbps internet, but this is getting extremely frustrating.

HiVolt
I Plan to Stick Around

@Noobcamper wrote:

I guess my question would be, why has this only started occuring in the last few weeks?

I know from my end, I was having ping issues with a base CGN3. I upgraded to the AC, and my ping issues are gone, but now it crashes constantly, some days worse than others. Yesterday I had issues with speed (which were resolved by a reboot) and the LAN freezing issue.

Something happened with the rogers network a few weeks ago, and hasn't been fixed since, only changed.

My guess is it has to do with the infrastructure upgrade to allow 1gbps internet, but this is getting extremely frustrating.

That's exactly what happened, the gigabit upgrades have a new CMTS, and it's causing the issue. As more areas become upgraded, more people are seeing the issue.

Topic Stats