CGN3ACSMR Bridge Mode - Port 1

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

CGN3ACSMR Bridge Mode - Port 1

Which is Port 1 when looking at the back of the CGN3ACSMR?  Is it the bottom port next to the cable connection, if the modem is standing up?

Does Bridge Mode only work properly through this port?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: CGN3ACSMR Bridge Mode - Port 1

Hello, @ablatt

Thank you for your post. Yes, your guess is correctSmiley HappyThe port 1 is the bottom port next to the coax cable connector. And you should be able to use any one of the four ports available to connect your router, hope this helps.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted

Hello, @ablatt

Thank you for your post. Yes, your guess is correctSmiley HappyThe port 1 is the bottom port next to the coax cable connector. And you should be able to use any one of the four ports available to connect your router, hope this helps.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@ablatt

I have read that when you put the modem into bridge mode that all ports are disabled except for port 1. 

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/internet/home-networking/247?setLanguage=en

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I myself have not tested this..

But my understanding, is that ALL the ports ARE actually active.  (or at least were.. may have changed)

But with each device that ways plugged in, would get a SEPERATE external IP.
In the cases of stuff at home, this would put them on completely seperate internal networks.

As well... as a regular consumer, you are only paying for ONE exernal IP address.  There may always be the chance that you could be CHARGED for more if you use it?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Before I switched to Port 1, I was running in Bridge Mode on Port 4 (didn't know which port was which) and it appeared to be fully working.  All I did was unplug from Port 4 and plug in to Port 1, without rebooting or anything.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

First connection to port becomes "port 1" - They use to have modems with one port highlighted with yellow or green for being designted port 1, but now its just virtual. After modem is placed in bridge both (no ports is used) first ethernet to connect and activate becomes port 1.
This is from just me playing around.
When I plugged in a second port to another router (to test this theory) it didn't give me connection or it kept disabling the internet.

I guess it tries to pull a new IP and gets rejected?
- Again... haven't read about it but just from me playing around...
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Actually the modem should give the second router another IP address.  @RogersMoin has indicated that the modem can be unstable when a second device is connected to the modem and the modem is in Bridge mode, but, others have used the CNG3 for example with two devices and have seen two IP addresses assigned.  Maybe the CGN3AC and CGN3ACSMR are different in that regard?  Shaw uses a second IP address to place devices in the demilitarized zone when they won't play nice with their Hitron CGNM modem.  Personally I don't recommend doing that for anything, but I guess it works.  However, Shaw has to assign, or allow a second IP address, which is a manual step on the part of their tech support.  I've never seen any discussion in this forum concerning Rogers having to do the same so that people can use two IP addresses off of a bridged modem.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

so if Second IP is provided, does that incurr fee? I wonder? I was always in the asumption that consumer internet package provides one IP address which is dynamic.
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@ShakTib wrote:
so if Second IP is provided, does that incurr fee? I wonder? I was always in the asumption that consumer internet package provides one IP address which is dynamic.

A very long time ago (i.e. in the 2001-and-previous @home days), you could get a second IP address for $10/month. The @home DHCP was a very unusual setup and worked based on your device hostname, so if your primary hostname was cr781114-a (which I believe is what mine was, back in 1999 - 24.114.hmm... oh my goodness I don't remember the first IP), your second IP would be cr781114-b, your third would be -c, etc.

When @home went bust in late 2001, Rogers moved to a more conventional MAC-address-based DHCP setup, though they continued to offer the $10/month extra IP option. (But with MAC-based DHCP, it's much harder to actually restrict you to the number of IPs you've paid for) When they partnered with Yahoo the option to buy a second IP migrated to the dark depths of the Yahoo settings page where it remains to this day. Over time, though, as NAT hardware became more common (there were no consumer-grade NAT routers on the market in 1999), interest in a second IP dwindled...

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

... I feel like I just read what you wrote from a "how-to guidebook" (in a british accent and all) <-- don't ask why.

Very informative, so if second IP is generated, the $10/month doesn't apply?

I have never seen this option myself, so I guess it wouldn't. Only option I have ever seen is static IP address feature - that said, Second IP address wouldn't be necessary - since it is still dynamic and really wouldn't be a use either way. o_O or at least I think so.