CGN3ACR Slow on 2.4GHZ wifi

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Regular

CGN3ACR Slow on 2.4GHZ wifi

Is anyone experiencing slower speed on the 2.4GHZ band?  On the ignite 100 using the standard CGN3, I was getting 80 to 90 Mbps with a 144.5 Mbps connection (20 mhz) and anywhere from 120 to 140 Mbps with a 300 Mbps connection (40 mhz).

Now with the AC, I'm only getting about 30 to 40 Mbps with a 144.5 Mpbs connection  (20 mhz).  Same channel, same settings, 2.4 ghz band.  Is this a known problem?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CGN3ACR Slow on 2.4GHZ wifi

Ok, what you are seeing is fairly unusual.  I'm going to assume that the CGN3 speeds are similar to the CGN3ACSMR when it comes to wifi N modes of operation.  There will be a difference due to the coding of the wifi controller but you should see somewhere in the neighbourhood of 100 Mb/s on a 2.4 Ghz network and 200 Mb/s on a 5 Ghz N network.  Of course that depends on the maximum data rate of your internet plan.  

The first thing I would do is run a factory reset and then reset the modem parameters from scratch.  You can do that by holding down the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds and then release it.  That will initiate a factory reset and reboot.  

When you reset the wifi parameters, besides the usual of using long mixed strings of characters, numbers and symbols for both the network names and passphrases, ensure that UPNP, WEP and WPS are disabled.  Use WPA-2 AES only for the wifi security settings.  

When that is done, try the 2.4 Ghz network again.  Note that there is a bug in Version 4.5.8.16.  The wifi is either all off, or, both networks up and running.  If you turn one of the networks off, the other will shut down as well.  There is also a problem with power failures with this modem. When the modem comes back up running, the front LEDs indicating the wifi operation may not reflect the correct operating state of the wifi networks.  Only solution in that case is a factory reset.  If you save a backup file once all of the settings are complete, you can use that file to reload the modem after a factory reset, and you can be through that whole process in less than 5 minutes.

The other thing to do is to load inSSIDer, which is a wifi monitoring application to determine if you have competition for the channels that you are using and if the modem has a problem with the wifi transmitter.  This version is a freebie version and will monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks.  It does not show 802.11ac networks in the 5 Ghz band, but there is a newer pay version out that does.  For $20 US its worth it if you happen to run 802.11ac networks.  Load that on a laptop, hopefully dual band and have a look at your modem wifi output to see if as you indicate, that it starts out normal and then drops the transmit power.  If that is the case, then the modem is defective and should be swapped out.  This will unfortunately put you in the position of putting up with another firmware update.  When you look at the modem output, you also have to take into consideration the wifi environment to see how many other modem and routers are running nearby.  That will show you if any them are running on the same channel or overlapping channel which will definitely cause problems.  That would or could definitely result in slow wifi data rates, but not to the point that you indicated.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @jszentir,

Thank you for your post.

I understand the frustration of having slow/slower Wi-Fi speeds. If it was recent that you've replaced your CGN3 modem for the newer Hitron CGN3ACR, not saying this is the reason but most likely you may have the older firmware of 4.4.8.14, the new firmware update is 4.5.8.16. So before doing any resets or troubleshooting, I would suggest you wait until the firmware has been updated. It automatically gets updated within 48 hours from the time the modem came online. If you notice the firmware is not updated even after 72 hours, please message us back and we will follow up for you with our deployment team.

Regards,
RogersArthur

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Yes, I guess you would understand after all this time knowing the difficulties customers experience with every single roll out of a new device.  If it were up to me, I would recall all the inventory at Hitron's expense and get them to ship product that actually works at their expense as well.  Some simple testing is all that was required to determine that the wifi on the ACR was sub standard.

After waiting three days for the firmware upgrade I gave up as there was no guarantee it would fix the problem.  It was faster for me to swap the ACR back to the original.  I am now back to 100Mpbs +.

Most of the support staff on the phone don't have a clue that this problem exists and that there is a firmware upgrade.  The last one mentioned that a lot of customers are not happy with the ACR for the same reasons.  His recommendation was to go back to the CGN3 which I had already done... I was calling in to cancel the ticket for the upgrade out of courtesy.

Not only are support staff improperly informed, tier 2 didn't know that there was a 20/40 setting on these routers.  Both have it.  What is beyond belief is that we, the customers can't have access to it.  I'm talking about the 2.4Ghz band.  Why after all this time has this not been provided.  Its available on the ACR's 5Ghz band, why not the 2.4Ghz band?  At least the CGN3 defaults to 20/40... unfortunatey the ACR defaults to 20.  I'm not interested in half speeds if you know what I mean.

I'm not here to make a mockery of this.  Its about sending a message.  Rogers has some really good service when it comes to cable and internet.  Yet the execution regarding delivery and support of these devices really needs a lot of improvement... and after all these years I don't see any improvement at all.

This response should remain as is for the President's office to see.  In any case, thank you for the suggestion.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi I am having the same problem with my CGN3ACR, with a firmware version upgraded to 4.5.8.16.  I am getting the full 100Mbps on 5ghz connection but less than 2Mbps on 2.4ghz. Neither rebooting nor switching channel  worked (it sometimes works for the first few minutes and the speed decreses quickly).  Please help.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you confirm the model of the modem, as seen on the product sticker on the back of the modem.  It should be one of the following:  CGN3, CGN3ACR, or CGN3ACSMR.  Firmware version 4.5.8.16 would suggest the CGN3ACSMR.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Sorry my fault its CGN3ACSMR.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, what you are seeing is fairly unusual.  I'm going to assume that the CGN3 speeds are similar to the CGN3ACSMR when it comes to wifi N modes of operation.  There will be a difference due to the coding of the wifi controller but you should see somewhere in the neighbourhood of 100 Mb/s on a 2.4 Ghz network and 200 Mb/s on a 5 Ghz N network.  Of course that depends on the maximum data rate of your internet plan.  

The first thing I would do is run a factory reset and then reset the modem parameters from scratch.  You can do that by holding down the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds and then release it.  That will initiate a factory reset and reboot.  

When you reset the wifi parameters, besides the usual of using long mixed strings of characters, numbers and symbols for both the network names and passphrases, ensure that UPNP, WEP and WPS are disabled.  Use WPA-2 AES only for the wifi security settings.  

When that is done, try the 2.4 Ghz network again.  Note that there is a bug in Version 4.5.8.16.  The wifi is either all off, or, both networks up and running.  If you turn one of the networks off, the other will shut down as well.  There is also a problem with power failures with this modem. When the modem comes back up running, the front LEDs indicating the wifi operation may not reflect the correct operating state of the wifi networks.  Only solution in that case is a factory reset.  If you save a backup file once all of the settings are complete, you can use that file to reload the modem after a factory reset, and you can be through that whole process in less than 5 minutes.

The other thing to do is to load inSSIDer, which is a wifi monitoring application to determine if you have competition for the channels that you are using and if the modem has a problem with the wifi transmitter.  This version is a freebie version and will monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks.  It does not show 802.11ac networks in the 5 Ghz band, but there is a newer pay version out that does.  For $20 US its worth it if you happen to run 802.11ac networks.  Load that on a laptop, hopefully dual band and have a look at your modem wifi output to see if as you indicate, that it starts out normal and then drops the transmit power.  If that is the case, then the modem is defective and should be swapped out.  This will unfortunately put you in the position of putting up with another firmware update.  When you look at the modem output, you also have to take into consideration the wifi environment to see how many other modem and routers are running nearby.  That will show you if any them are running on the same channel or overlapping channel which will definitely cause problems.  That would or could definitely result in slow wifi data rates, but not to the point that you indicated.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Try WiFi Anlyzer on your Android if you have one.  Its free, has a signal strength meter on one display, a graph of nearby networks with signal strengths / channels used as well as a list with signal strengths / channels used.  

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer  

Highlighted
I've Been Around

CGN3ACSMR here. Install occured on Monday Sept. 21. We had good speed for 2 evenings then 1-3Mbps. Was advised to return the router and have it replaced. This I did, still crappy speed. 3 phone calls since and was advised that they would expedite a firmware update. This was on Thursday Sept. 24. Still NO update, still ridiculous speeds. I was extremely polite on all calls, but the last person on Thurs refused to answer my request to have the Tx speed upped. It was terrible at level 14. Should be about 70. I kept asking, he kept changing the topic, then hung up on me. Way to go Rogers!

As well, we have the cable sitting on the ground and crossing the yards of  many, many people. This is NONSENSE! Calling Bell tomorrow and tossing Rogers...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If that cable is crossing a few yards, and you have driveways in your neighborhood then I would suspect that the cable has been driven over a few times and has been damaged.  That might explain the poor speeds.  Looking at the cable signal levels as seen in the modem's STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN page would show that.