CGN3 is dropping speed by over 50% after a switch or router

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: CGN3 is dropping speed by over 50% after a switch or r.outer

I don't remember my exact firmware version but while researching the port forwarding issue I verified I had the latest version. After testing all my port forwarding settings and none of them working i read somewhere that rogers had disabled it (and USB support) on the CGN3 and I had this confirmed to me by a rogers tech when I called about it. This was why I went back to my Linksys. With a relatively advanced home network with many devices, switches and access points, and needing port forwarding for remote desktops, VPN, security camera and SAB all using non standard ports I can't live with a router without port forwarding. Having said all that if this in fact not the case, and you can indeed port forward from the CGN3 then I'd switch it back to a modem. I'd love to know how you got it to work. Seems like a lot of misinformation about this setup from rogers.

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CGN3 is dropping speed by over 50% after a switch or router

Your correct.  That you can get the speeds by the other method.. that the modem can/is producing the right speeds.

As for the other router? 
A few things to look into.

Obviously, gigabit ports, and keeping the dual band like your e3000 is important.

Other things then to really look at, is ANTENNAs... external antennas, will usually give you better range, vs internal.

And then, just the general overall processing power of the router.  The better processor, the more traffic, and the easier it can direct that traffic.

A 3rd thing, though less important for some, is AC capabilities.  Newer wireless devices will be having AC in it, which would get your FASTEST wireless speed, even more so than N.
BUT, will cost you a little more.. might be a waste if you dont have any AC stuff or wont be soon.

Really, i would not go anything LESS than this one.
http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66U/
Its a GREAT router, great capabilities and range.

Its about $150... as you go up in pric, you start adding things like AC, etc to it.  Netgear, and Linksys make some as well in this range/quality, usually around $200+

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I don't have any recommendations other that ensure that the WAN and LAN ports are 10/100/1000 Mb/s capable, and find one that uses external antennas, which will give you better performance.

You did indicate a Cat 5 cable.  Is that really a Cat 5 cable, or is it a Cat 5e?  Some Cat 5 cables will definitely cause problems as they won't support higher data rates.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks guys. Checking out that Asus router now. 

Good call re cat5e. Might just be cat5. Will double check tonight.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, check the cable type.  Some Cat 5 cables will only support 100 Mb/s due to the pins that are used on the connectors. If that was the case, you should be restricted to less than 100 Mb/s.

Look at the back of the CGN3.  If the port LED is yellow / orange, the interconnect rate between the CGN3 and router is running at 1 Gb/s.  If the port LED is green, the port is running at 10/100 Mb/s.

The one thing to consider with the Asus routers is the Hardware Acceleration issue with the Broadcom Cut Through Forwarding.  If you have a number of processing requirements, there is a good chance that you might not see 250 Mb/s or more.  If anyone running the N66u with 250 Mb/s download rate is reading thru this, it would be nice to see some comments on the speed versus processing issue.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Datalink wrote:
If anyone running the N66u with 250 Mb/s download rate is reading thru this, it would be nice to see some comments on the speed versus processing issue.

I have an N66U with the Ultimate 250 service.  When I run speedtests with speedtest.net I generally get results of about 240/21.  My CGN3 is in Bridge mode and is connected to the WAN port of my RT-N66U.  It is then connected to a 24 port switch and my PC connects into that switch.

When I first got the CGN3 device and 250 service over six months ago I did some testing and when connected directly to the CGN3 I would get speedtest results of 325/21 in either Gateway mode or Bridge mode connected directly to the CGN3 - note that you can connect two devices to the CGN3's LAN ports when in Bridge mode.

At that time I found that immediately after rebooting my RT-N66U I would often (always?) get speeds over 300.  But I haven't bothered investigating in a while since I doubt there is any practical benefit of 325 vs 240 (how many services do you use where you can sustain that speed over the internet, especially if it going across the continent or wold) and since speedboost is only temporary then this will only help for a few seconds/minutes anyway.

But my results may corroborate that maybe the router has problems keeping up with very fast internet service.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Very interesting indeed.  So, for two connected devices, ports 1 and 2 on the CGN3?  I presume that you end up with two different WAN IP addresses for those ports?

Do you know if the hardware acceleration is still enabled on your RT-N66U at this time, or if possibly it has been kicked off by one or more of the half dozen functions that will do that.  And....are you still using the ASUS Wrt firmware or running Merlin, although it shouldn't make any difference with respect to the hardware acceleration?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I am using Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.40.  Hardware Acceleration is enabled.  Just run a speedtest and got 237/19.

I don't know if you have to be using ports 1 and 2 - I have never actually been fussy about what port I have plugged into on the CGN3 but I have heard others say that it has to be ports 1 and 2.  And yes, you do get two external IPs.  I know people who connect two routers to the CGN3 and run a regular LAN and a "US" LAN via a VPN or Unblockus like service for US streaming services.