CGN3 is dropping speed by over 50% after a switch or router

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: CGN3 is dropping speed by over 50% after a switch or router

Iain,

The speeds you mention running Speedtest are in line with what I see on my Hybrid 60 as well.   Rogers Turbospeed allows the first 20 Megabytes or so of any receive request to exceed the contracted speed.  When it senses larger blocks of data, or streaming, or file transfer it will ratchet back the speed back to the contracted speed (give or take).  This only works on the download side of things.  Upload are restricted to being close to contracted speed.  I get about 11 Mbs as well on upload.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Datalink,

Checked my device manager. It's an Intel Gigabit Network Card.

Hopefully, Rogers will fix their modem bug or as a work around hopefully putting the router behind the gigabit switch will work.

I'll know in a few days.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats a pretty neat little unit there.

Might not have the greatest range possibly, or feature set of some of the newest high end routers..

But definately looks easy to use.  Much easier to have someone change wireless settings, passwords, etc on that, then trying to get some to access the web interface.
(for the techically challenged)

I'm an Advisor

@lain wrote:

My speed tests jump to 98MBps at the beginning but then slowly drop and settle at 77MBps (when connected direct to the CGN3).

My laptop network card should be a gigabit port. Laptop is only 1 year old and was fully loaded buisness class from Dell.

Okay, that's normal - that's how the SpeedBoost thing works.

As for your laptop, if it's a Latitude, should have gigabit Ethernet no problem. Really Latitudes had gigabit Ethernet 10 years ago... but some of the consumer models are still 10/100 now...

I Plan to Stick Around

Ya, I love the router. So easy to access passwords and change them and see your connection status, ect, without having to log it. And was super simple to setup. It will even give me the weather on it's screen.

I got one for my dad to use as a range extender also, works great for that.

I'm really happy with the range. I haven't checked it's max distance, but it covers my whole house, even in the basement.... where the CNG3s wireless won't even get upstairs in 2.4 or 5. This is why I shut its wireless down and am using the Almond.

If you want you can log into it also with a browser and adjust more settings than just the basic stuff on the screen.

And then there's even a higher level that you can do more advanced stuff that I don't know much about.

This is what the advanced stuff looks like:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32029-securifi-almond-reviewed?start=3

I was playing with some of that trying to fix my problem (before I knew it was the modem).

The new Almond+ is suppose to do even more.

And it just looks cool 🙂

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Vivien,

Ya it's a Latitude. Only laptop I'll buy.

We have a 10 year old one that still works perfect for programming PLCs.

They are beasts....

I've Been Here Awhile

I was just going to post something similar when I noticed this thread. I just got the new CGN3 modem with the hybrid fiber 250 service. When I got it home I plugged my laptop directly into it to do some setup and a speed test to verify my speeds. A couple different tests I was averaging around 300mbps down and 20 up! Awesome right?

Then after a nightmare trying to get port forwarding working on it I found out its locked down by Rogers at the firmware level (a whole other issue, don't get me started) so I put it in bridge mode so it was just a modem andbugnt back to my Linksys E3000 router. Which is a Gigabit 10/100/1000 high speed router. Everything was working fine with my existing port forwarding, but after doing another speed test plugging my laptop into the E3000, my speeds we avgering about half (150mbps)  what I was getting when wired directly to the modem. Thinking this could not be the case I retried multiple times with different devices at different times if the day and all basically the same behavior. 150 mbps through router and 300 when wired directly. 

So was going to buy a new router but after reading these replies this issue is actually a firmware bug on the modem and we're SOL until they release a firmware patch?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think that there is something more going on here.  If the firmware bug was throttling your download rates, you would see 90 to 95 Mb/s max.  My bet is that it would be lower. 

So, how do you connect the E3000 to the CGN3, direct connection with a Cat 5e / 6 cable, or through house ethernet?  And from the E3000 to your laptop I assume is Cat 5e / 6?

Looking at the Linksys site, there are review headlines dated Jan 2010, which would put this router manufacturing date around 2009.  Its possible that the router, with everything that you are trying to do will not deliver 300+ Mb/s.  I wonder what would happen if you disabled the port forwarding and any other features that require monitoring or processing and then ran a speed test. 

Some of the new Asus routers for example have a broadcom chip which essentially forwards data from an IP address to a MAC address, but it does this at the chip level.  So, you can run the router at fast data rates, ie, above 100 Mb/s, or you can use any of the half dozen functions that require processing such as QOS which kicks off the "hardware acceleration", resulting in reduced throughput rates. 

My older Dlink-655 which I use as an AP will run up to 327 / 21 Mb/s on a wired speed test (same as CGN3 rate), but then, its being used as a simple AP, with none of the advanced features turned on.  So, an older router can support the higher rates, but possibly not when there is a requirement for advanced features processing.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CGN3 is dropping speed by over 50% after a switch or r.outer

The processing on the E3000 would be my first thought too.

I keep my CGN3 in gateway mode, and just use 3rd party routers, as an AP

With my prior, the E2500 linksys, i usually got 90% of my alloted speed over wifi... wasnt bad... but switching to a BETTER router with better processing in it, the ASUS N66U, i actually can sometimes get BETTER speeds than some of my wired connections (which go through a decent gigabit switch).

One thing to check, which would require putting it back in GATEWAY modem, would be to see if you are at the latest firmware.

If you are, only 10/100 devices should really be throttled.  Prior firmware version did have some issues overall with the bridge mode with ANY.

Just curious what issues you are having with the port forwarding?

I am using port forwarding on the CGN3 just fine, currently forwarding two different HTTP ports for web server, FTP, and a torrenting port.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes just a basic cat 5 cable. Not cat 6. I have a gigabit router and switch but no devices with a gigabit nic. Literally all I did was unplug the cat 5 cable back and forth between the router and modem (reconnectiong the modem to the router obviously) and retested. 

The fact that I can achieve speeds of 300 Mbps with the same cables and nic directly into the modem tells me it has to be router. I guess I just don't know for sure if its a setting or maybe some of the advanced features turned on etc or possibly a limitation of the router maxing out at about 150mbps?

I guess I should dig a little deeper and try running some tests through the router after a factory reset and nothing else connected and no WiFi and see if that changes things.

But as you say, that router is around 5 years old. I didn't think it was that old! So it might be time for an upgrade. Any recommendations for a high end router capable of wired 300mbps?

Thanks again.