CGN3 is dropping speed by over 50% after a switch or router

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

CGN3 is dropping speed by over 50% after a switch or router

I just upgraded to the CGN3 with the 60MBps download speed package (Hybrid Fiber 60) and I started doing some speed checks and I'm loosing half my speed when I go through a Network Switch or router.

Here's what's happening.

CGN3 is in Router Mode

Wireless is turned OFF

Using short CAT 5e cables

And I've done factory resets on the CGN3

Directly connecting to my laptop I get 77MBps download speeds (and 11MB up). This is Perfect.

If I connect a 5-Port 10/100 Network Swtich to the CGN3 and then connect my laptop to the Network Switch I get 33MBps down (11MBps up), less than half the download (but the same upload) when I go through a switch.

There is nothing else connected to the CGN3 and there is nothing eles connected to the Network Swtich and wireless if off, so there's nothing else sharing the bandwith.

I have 2 different 10/100 Network Switches I tested this with. a LinkSys and TP-Link. They both do it.

I also tried it with a router.

I connected the router to the CGN3 and then pluged laptop into the router and am getting 33MBps down (11MBps up).

I also tried the router test with the CGN3 in bridge mode. Same results.

I also tested this with a 2nd laptop to make sure it's not the computer. Same results

So because this is happening with 2 different Network switches, 2 different laptops (with different network cards) and a 3rd party router the only constant is the CGN3 which leads me to belive it's the issue.

For some reason it's dropping the speed in half when anything put a computer is connected to it.

I understand that using a 2nd router there could be setting conflics happening which is why I'm focusing on the Network Swtiches since they are so basic.

Anyone have any ideas why I'm losing half my speed through a Network Switch or Router or things to try.

Thanks,

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CGN3 is dropping speed by over 50% after a switch or router

Don't worry. Its not your equipment or anything that you are doing.  There is a bug in the firmware of the CGN3 which throttles the data rate whenever it connects to a 10/100 Mbps device.  If you need to use a switch, you will have to install one that has 10/100/1000 Mbps ports.  The same goes for any other devices that you need to connect that only have 10/100 ports installed.  To run these at the data rate that you expect, you will have to run them through a gigabit switch or router.  Your report is the first one that I've seen that confirms this for both Gateway and Bridge mode for the CGN3.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you for the quick reply! I have spent probably about 4hrs, testing and talking with tech support on the router and switch and rogers. Been driving me crazy.

I can buy a new switch, that's no problem. But I don't really want to replace my new touchscreen router.

Since you know about the bug, do you know any of the following:

Is Rogers aware of the bug?

Do you know if they are planning to fix it?

Or does it have to be fixed by Hitron?

Or is it a hardware issue and can't be fixed with firmware?

Thanks again.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Datalink has hit the problem right on 🙂  Doing most of my answers before i can get them out now 🙂

When rogers first released the CGN3, there was some initial issues with it.. where ANY device connected, would drop out, after like an hour or so, and needed rebooting on CGN3."
This went on for a month or so... eventually we got notice, that rogers and Hitron were working together to fix it.. leading to the current firmware we have.

Weither this was relevent before, or this is a side effect on the latest firmware.. i am not sure..

My understanding is they are aware.... but how long for a fix? who knows (they dont want to break it and put it back to the way it was before either).  But would likely have to be joint between hitron and rogers to fix.

You shouldnt have to replace your router.

(thouh i am guessing it has only a 10/100 port in it as well?)

Your best bet.. would be to get a gigabit switch, and plug this right into the CGN3.  Then you can put any other 10/100 device OFF of it, without any issues.

I'm an Advisor

@lain wrote:

Thank you for the quick reply! I have spent probably about 4hrs, testing and talking with tech support on the router and switch and rogers. Been driving me crazy.

I can buy a new switch, that's no problem. But I don't really want to replace my new touchscreen router.

What is this 'touchscreen router'?

If it has a gigabit WAN port, then you could just use it as a router, and put the CGN3 in bridge mode...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm, well, not trying to sound flippant:

1.  Don't know,

2.  I wish.  Connecting to it would be much easier for a good number of users.  This situation would not arise.

3.  Not sure,

4.  Don't know.  I can only hope that its a straight firmware fix.  If it is hardware, then someone needs to be taken to task, personal opinion of course.

On the touchscreen router, does it have gigabit WAN and LAN ports?  If not, and its brand new, consider returning it for a model up that would have gigabit ports.

Since you are seeing this, can you have a quick look at something.  Go Control Panel......Network and Sharing Center.  Select Local Area Connection on the right to display the Status Panel.  When you are down to half speed through the switch, what does it show for the connected data rate, and does it show half-duplex by any chance?  I'm wondering if the issue might be caused by the CGN3 running half duplex instead of full duplex and if that would be shown on the status panel.

Fwiw, I'm surprised that you are only showing a max download rate of 77 Mb/s for a 60 Mbps plan.  I would have thought that you would see something like 90 to 95 down running Rogers speed check, or even Speedtest.net.  Can you check you laptop ethernet controller/port and confirm that its a gigabit port.  There was a case recently that ended up running at 90 to 95 Mbps which could only have been half duplex due to the way the connection was wired through house wiring.  With the laptop connected, using the same status panel, it should show a connection speed of 1 Gbps.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Gdkitty,

Yes the router is 10/100

Good idea on putting in the switch first and then the router.

I'll need 2 swtiches to do this then just because of my setup. But if it works a $20 switch is worth it.

I'll run that test when I get my new swtich.

Thanks,

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Vivien,

Here's the touchscreen router

Securifi Almond

http://www.securifi.com/ca/almond

#1 on Amazon.

It's an awesome router, super simple to setup and their tech support is amazing (been working with them on this issue because I did the switch test, I though it was their unit but turns out it's the modem).

It's port is a 10/100

I think the new Almond+ coming out will have a 10/100/1000 but not release date yet.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Datalink,

The routers port is 10/100. The new one coming out is 10/100/1000 but not available yet.

Not at home right now, so can't check that, but I'll see what I can find when I get home.

My speed tests jump to 98MBps at the beginning but then slowly drop and settle at 77MBps (when connected direct to the CGN3).

My laptop network card should be a gigabit port. Laptop is only 1 year old and was fully loaded buisness class from Dell.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yep, it would make sense that the laptop has a gigabit port, but, surprisingly, there are still a good number of products produced with 10/100 ports installed.  Better to know than assume, especially if you decide to go to a higher data rate at some point.  A max download peak just under 100 Mb/s sec looks reasonable for the 60 Mb/s plan.  I was wondering if there was something else going on, but that download rate looks typical.