CGN3 crashes with Wi-Fi device running at slow speed

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Regular

CGN3 crashes with Wi-Fi device running at slow speed

with a device connected at 3 bars and less than 10Mbps, speed gets erratic, anywhere from 1 to 5Mbps and the entire Wi-Fi network goes down... all devices with 5 bars and reasonable speeds disconnect and nothing can reconnect... its dead

have tested this with four CGN3's ... the only solution is to power off the router and power it back on

***edited labels***

I'm an Advisor

Re: CGN3 crashes with Wi-Fi device running at slow speed

@jszentir wrote:

with a device connected at 3 bars and less than 10Mbps, speed gets erratic, anywhere from 1 to 5Mbps and the entire Wi-Fi network goes down... all devices with 5 bars and reasonable speeds disconnect and nothing can reconnect... its dead

have tested this with four CGN3's ... the only solution is to power off the router and power it back on

What device is this? (If a laptop, specify what wireless card it has...)

I'm a Regular

its not the adapter, its the distance and the speed

no matter what device is connecting, a router shouldn't crash like this

this laptop performs well at closer range, say 20 to 30 feet with 5 bars on the meter

BUT with only 3 bars on the meter at 50 or 60 feet... LOOK OUT!  ... less than 10Mbps and then it crawls to its knees and then KABOOM!

I'm a Regular

by the way...

GREAT BENCH TESTING, ROGERS !!!   THANKS FOR GIVING US ALL THESE PROBLEMS !!!

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Can you give us a hit more information about your wireless setup and types of wireless devices? Many people did not experience the problems you are describing (myself included) so there is a possibility that the problem might be with your setup.

1. What kind of wireless devices/adapters are you using?
2. Are all devices assigned the same wireless channel or they obtain channel in automatic mode?
3. Does your CGN3 wireless use standard channel width or is set in automatic mode?

From my experience I can tell that a lot of wireless devices have really hard time to do basic things, like establishing a connection properly. This should be number one reason on dropped wireless connection. Here are some recommendations for you to try:

1. research and assign the least congested wireless channel manually in CGN3. If you have different groups of wireless devices (single band, dual band, single stream, dual stream, etc) assign each group a separate wireless channel.

2. Assign your wireless devices a static IP address so that they don't have to constantly send DHCP requests.

3. Unless you are sure that your wireless devices are capable of 40MHz channel width change the setting in CGN3 From auto to 20MHz.

4. Use 5Mhz band only when the device is at least on the same floor. For everything else use 2.4 band.

Some houses have higher than normal elecrical noise which effects greatly wireless signal and has nothing to do with CGN3 wireless capability. For a house it is a general practice to use an extender to increase wireless range.
I'm a Regular

read through all my posts... you'll get the jist of it

there is absolutely nothing wrong with my stuff... as I said, Rogers needs to benchtest this crazy router... nothing should cause the router to crash... nor should anything cause the router to throttle devices

and everyone here and at Rogers should stop bothering clients about their equipment... it's becoming clearer that Rogers has not done their homework and has taken the lazy way out and done nothng more than field test the CGN3 using clients as guinea pigs

with six different pieces of equipment, i get the same results, all of different kinds... laptops, PC's, tablets and TV's... Asus, Sony, Gateway, etc... some extreme, some average... its all good quality, name brand stuff... all experience the same problem on the CGN3 and i have swapped it three times i.e. with four CGN3's

the real question is, what is wrong with Rogers and why did it take so long for Rogers to acknowledge the 30-35Mpbs problem? They seem to have caught on back in June/July of this year... by what?  Field testing???  This issue would clearly show up in any proper lab test using equipment that is typically used in the 'field'...  but NOOOOOOOO.... Rogers, with all the money that Rogers has and all their important people can't possibly lift a finger and do this properly on their own... meanwhile making some deal with Hitron to make sure the router throttles back devices to protect their precious resources, maybe... isn't that what is going on?  its obvious this crazy router has not been thoroughly tested and its becoming clearer that this router has been programmed to cut back on resources, not so effectively it seems... meanwhile, tech support reps don't have clue what's going on as everything seems hush hush... they didn't even know about Rogers working on a firmware to solve the 30-35Mbps problem, not until the past month or so... most still don't even realize it... heck, TechXpert  hasn't been informed

hmmm....

ask yourself, why are so many people bridging to something else?  my DIR-655 had no problem handling all my devices when I bridged from the CGN3, there was no throttling whatsoever... a steady 75 to 80Mbps with multiple devices connected in close proximity, from all devices, simultaneous and one at a time... and it doesn't crash... the only problem is that the DIR-655 doesn't have the range, so i can't use it... i'm stuck with the CGN3

yet 2 feet from the CGN3, one device works fine stand alone, but two or more get throttled back, why is that??  always the same thing, any time any day, within 5 minutes, sorry you're using too much, you only get 1/3rd of your max connection speed... and this happens with two or more devices, all idle except for one... absolutely no network traffic coming from any of the devices except the one i'm speed testing... 5 minutes is all it takes and poof, bye bye speed.... then 20 minutes later, after all devices disconnect, the speed is back to normal

no throttling?... hmmm... sure looks like throttling to me

i still remember one tech sup rep laughing when i told him i get good speed when i reset the router... "how long does that last?" was the response... others suggest bridging to get rid of the problem... well how about giving clients a router that can perform effectively and efficiently?  THATS WHAT WE ARE PAYING FOR, ROGERS !

Don't get me wrong. I totally agree with you that Rogers lacks any serious quality assurance process, nor do they show any flexibility in accepting problems and escalating them to the manufacturer. I heard a lot of frustrated techs, telling stories that they were trying to escalate many discovered problems on the field to the engineering department (those are people who can escalate the problem to manufacturer).

Many things are wrong with Rogers equipment and customer service above Level 1, however my point is that we have to work with what we have.

We take a CGN with the latest firmware, test it, discover numerous bugs and try to use workaround s. Usually it works well.

I by no means think that it is right to force your customer to go through this, but the truth for Rogers is that very few of its customers who consider themselves power users have such demands and the vast majority of people still use one laptop with ethernet cable connected to the gateway, so Rogers doesn't care (read cannot justify huge expenses for setting up a serious QA process or hiring more qualified (read more expensive) engineers who write firmwares for Rogers hardware.

So we have to deal with what we have.

I'm a Regular

yep, we certainly do... i still wonder why i waste my time trying to help Rogers get what's going wrong

not so long ago i had pixellation on TMN... just TMN, no other channels

phoned in three times and no acknowledgement that there is a problem... one rep checked a tv next to him... a tube tv of all things... he happened to see a freezing problem on one of the channels but clearly wouldn't see a problem of micro blocking, not on a tube

long story short, a week and a half later, fourth phone call, rep answers and says 'oh yeah, we have some errors with some channels'... well why didn't the rest of them know?  it was just TMN, nowhere else... obviously something was wrong with the feed or the device... the final answer was that Rogers was having difficulty with the firmware on some boxes... happened to be the Nextbox and the Explorer... basically all of them... and the problem went away on its own (after the next few updates)

whatever... the CGN3 clearly has a problem... time for new firmware or switch finally to Motorola once and for all

And I had completely different experience with latest TV problem. Over the past few years I noticed that Rogers increased the level of compression of its TV channels to the point that it looked way too pixelated, especially compared to the wonderful uncompressed picture quality of OTA channels.

Called in explained the problem, asked for a solution. When no solution was provided, put account in 30 day cancellation mode.

4 days later received a letter from Rogers asking to call back to explain the reason for cancellation. Out of curiosity dialed the number provided in the letter. Happened to be the Office of the President. Explained again the problem and asked to pass it on to engineering.

Guess what happened? In 24 hours all my channels looked my sharper than before. Guess they managed to reduce the level of compression on my account. I was so surprised that I cancelled my cancellation request...
Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation