CGN3 connection to WD Netword Drive (Mac)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rnj_phillips
I've Been Here Awhile

CGN3 connection to WD Netword Drive (Mac)

My Western Digital Network drive, when plugged directly into the iMac, appears properly in the Shared section of Finder and you can access it. However, when it is plugged into the CNG3 router (that otherwise is working fine; network and internet communication is good), though the drive appears in Finder/Shared, you cannot connect to it.

The connection failure message reads, "The server "MyBookWorld" may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again."

I suspect a firewall setting or other related router setting to be the barrier.

Any sugestions?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CGN3 connection to WD Netword Drive (Mac)

If your drive is ethernet connected, I'd leave it as is.  It depends on what you want to do with it, use it internally or possibly externally. If you wanted to access it outside of your network you would have to go to a different arrangement.

If you have a spare USB stick around, try experimenting with it and see how successful you are in connecting to the modem.  That exercise might just change your mind 🙂

I wonder if you would have to assign an IP address to the drive using the modem's IP reservation?

View solution in original post

All Replies
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

rnj_phillips
I've Been Here Awhile

Interesting... Thanks Datalink for the quick reply!

Do you think the fact that my drive is ethernet-connected and not USB would make any difference? I'd hate to reformat the drive only to find out that the solution proposed in your referenced thread only applies to USB devices.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If your drive is ethernet connected, I'd leave it as is.  It depends on what you want to do with it, use it internally or possibly externally. If you wanted to access it outside of your network you would have to go to a different arrangement.

If you have a spare USB stick around, try experimenting with it and see how successful you are in connecting to the modem.  That exercise might just change your mind 🙂

I wonder if you would have to assign an IP address to the drive using the modem's IP reservation?

View solution in original post