cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGN3 and PS3/PS4

RyzenFX
I'm a Reliable Contributor

This is always CONSISTENT on my CGN3 while testing internet setting on my PS3; When testing the internet settings the UPnP always appears to be unavaliable....... Due to that, I can't join online sessions (e.g GTA V Online) and is why I cannot join servers properly in BF4. 

71 REPLIES 71

Re: CGN3 and PS3/PS4

thenblockfamily
I've Been Here Awhile

I am on the CGN3ASCMR modem with the latest firmware.

I tried everything, upnp, port forwarding, port triggering, all with automatic and static ips set.

Could only ever get moderate.

Finally I just threw it in the DMZ on a static ip and voila, Open Nat on XBOX ONE.

It does matter, as i recent got kicked from two fifa games for not having open nat.

Oh and if the wifi sucks on the CGN3 im scared... my wifi is 1/4th the strength of the Bell Home Hub 2000 i just left behind 

Shumilady
I Plan to Stick Around

I would love to be able to follow visual instructions showing exactly what needs to be set and where. Would help yo verify if all that I have already done is actually correct. I'm far from a tech expert.

What are you trying to do and have you been successful so far, or are you having problems as a result of the modem settings?  Still having problems with the PS3 and NAT?

@thenblockfamily, the Hitron modem isn't great for wifi performance, but that is similar to other all in one modem / routers that are used by ISPs.  Are you having problems with the 2.4 or 5 Ghz networks or both?

Shumilady
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, still having nat type issues. I set a static ip on my PS3 (I think), I did port forwarding for ports noted by psn (I think). I do have a dlink router but not hooked up yer (as per your previous suggestion). As noted, not quite confident on how to set it up.

Shumilady
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok, so attached my dlink router between my Rogers modem and my PS3. Now I don't have any internet connection??

There is probably more than one way to solve this problem, but out of curiosity, does the NAT, in its current state prevent you from finding games to enter, or inhibit the ingame play?  Just wondering.

1.  One method is to place the PS3 in the demilitarized zone, which essentially is a modem pass-through mode straight to the PS3 and does not offer firewall protection from the modem.  It is probably the simplest to accomplish, with a static address and port forwarding rules set, this is just another modem setting to accomplish, but once again it won't protect the PS3 with a firewall.  It could be set fairly quickly to allow you to test the end NAT condition of the PS3 just to ensure that it will work as I expect it to.  In this mode, the modem itself which is still running in its normal Gateway mode would continue to provide connections, wired and wireles to the other devices that you have in your home and protect them behind a firewall.  It would be possible to park the D-Link router between the modem and PS3 and protect the PS3 with the modem firewall.  That would be a matter of ensuring that the wifi on the D-Link is turned off and that the DHCP server, which is responsible for assigning IP addresses on the D-Link is also disabled, allowing the modem to run that function. 

2.  Next is to run the modem in Bridge mode, which is user selectable and run the follow on router in full router mode.  In this mode, the modem acts as a modem only, and therefore requires a follow on router to support your home network.  Can you indicate what model of router you have on hand?  Newer routers have user selectable modes available, including full router mode which does everything, Access Point Mode which runs the router as a Wifi Access Point only, relying on another router upstream to run the router duties, and Bridge Mode, which would be used to provide a link back to another wifi router that is connected to the internet.  The Bridge mode router would provide ethernet connectivity to wired devices and instead of a long ethernet cable back to the internet connection point in the home, that cable is replace by a wifi connection.  So, knowing what your router can provide will make a difference in how to possibly approach this.

3.  The last version would be to disable the wifi on the modem and use the D-Link router as an access point, for wifi and connected devices.  You would be able to use both the modem and D-Link router for connected devices at the same time.  That depends on what modem of router the D-Link is and whether or not it has equivalent or better wifi performance compared to the Hitron modem. 

So, if you can let me know that model the router is, we can figure out what might be the best way to solve the NAT issue.  My personal preference is to ensure that all devices on your home LAN are protected by a modem or router firewall. 

Shumilady
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi, we have dlink dir-655.

andrewmalheiro
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey guys,

So I had my Playstation 4 setup in my living room, using wifi to connect to the internet. I had issued port forwarding rules and had my Playstation 4 setup with a static IP address to ensure my NAT type would be open. 

I recently moved my console to my office room and since the console was on the same table at the modem/router, connected it directly via a LAN cable. This is where my problems started. I could not set up an internet connection on the PS4 using a manual, static IP. It would be unable to obtain a NAT type and connect me online. However, when I set up the connection with the console's "Easy Mode", it worked, but my NAT type would be moderate to strict. The "Easy Mode" setup picks a random IP address, so it would choose the one that I have all of my ports set to open on. 

I decided to try a WiFi connection again. I would receive an error saying my wifi signal is too weak to connect (What..?). However, when I set it up with "Easy Mode" again, everything sets up correctly except it doesn't pick the correct IP address that I have my ports on. 

I called Rogers customer support as I felt my download speeds were off that day. I have the 100/10 plan with unlimited usage and I was getting anywhere from 5/10 to 35/10 on speedtest.net. The rep who tried to help, but sounded like he was reading troubleshooting tips off of a book walked me through several steps which didn't really help. He rebooted and disabled the wifi (re-enabled it eventually) and my speeds eventually got back u p to the 100/10 area. I asked him for help in regards to the NAT issues I was experiencing, but he really had no idea what to do and sent me to the TechXpert department. The lady who picked up again sent me to someone else and after being on hold for 20 minutes, I hung up.

Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this? I am so confused as I had everything working correctly the other day, but the second I moved the console to the other room and plugged in a LAN cable, it seems it screwed up everything.  I never had these issues with the old CISCO modem, and I am seriously thinking this HITRON modem is behind my issues. 

***Edited Labels***

Hi @andrewmalheiro

When you moved the console and ran a new network setup in the PS4 settings, it's unable to establish a connection? I move my PS4 all the time and haven't ran into issues. I just run a new network setup via the PS4 settings whenever I move it.

If you have a look a few posts above you will see a discussion regarding NAT with some recommendations. I personally play with moderate NAT, its the most common connection and allows you to connect to players with open and moderate NAT.

From what ive seen, in order to get OPEN NAT you will need to enable DMZ. I have personally never tested this on a PS4 but heard it works on a Xbox.

Strict NAT will only allow you play with other players who have Strict NAT which results in a degraded gaming experience. So in that state, I would expect issues. I am able to consistently get "Moderate NAT" with out any Static IP or Port Forwarding.

What is your modem model and firmware? @Datalink may have some additional insights to provide.

Feel free to chime in Community

RogersAsif

Highland_Dragon
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, I just got my Rogers hookup yesterday.  All excited to finally get some real high-speed internet.  Everything on the PC side seemed to be fine, TV worked well also with good signal and then I started gaming after the kids went to sleep.

Uh oh...

So, my primary game at the moment is Destiny.  There are several entries noting issues and I guess I'm going to add my name to the hat.  Based on @RogersAsif's suggestion from here I am submitting this new thread.

I guess a shout out to @CommunityHelps is also going to be in order to get the FW push.  Below is the info noted by Asif to collect.

Here's hoping!  😕

Cheers,
HD

Modem: CGN3ACSMR

Firmware: 4.4.8.13

Gateway or Bridge: Gateway mode (bridge mode not tested)

Game(s): PS4, Destiny - continuous disconnects and empty social areas (no other players around)

Troubleshooting: None so far.  Given the issues noted in the forums, I'm hesitant to do anything until after the FW push.

PS4 Connection Test: 12/3.4u (approx values), wired connection (wireless is completely off on Hitron)

Package: Ignite 70u (70/10u unlimited, home phone and basic cable)

Signal Levels: 

Downstream Overview
Port ID Frequency (MHz) Modulation Signal strength (dBmV) Channel ID Signal noise ratio (dB)
1 609000000 256QAM -3.000 28 36.387
2 591000000 256QAM -2.600 25 37.356
3 597000000 256QAM -2.300 26 36.387
4 603000000 256QAM -2.600 27 36.610
5 615000000 256QAM -3.600 29 36.610
6 621000000 256QAM -3.400 30 36.387
7 633000000 256QAM -3.800 31 36.610
8 639000000 256QAM -4.300 32 36.610
9 645000000 256QAM -4.300 33 36.610
10 651000000 256QAM -4.300 34 36.610
11 657000000 256QAM -4.500 35 36.610
12 663000000 256QAM -5.400 36 35.780
13 669000000 256QAM -5.900 37 35.780
14 675000000 256QAM -5.600 38 36.387
15 681000000 256QAM -8.600 39 33.377
16 687000000 256QAM -9.300 40 33.063
17 693000000 256QAM -9.900 41 32.963
18 699000000 256QAM -9.700 42 32.676
19 705000000 256QAM -9.000 43 33.377
20 711000000 256QAM -8.800 44 33.063
Upstream Overview
Port ID Frequency (MHz) Modulation Signal Strength (dBmV) Channel ID BandWidth
1 30596000 ATDMA - 64QAM 44.250 6 6400000
2 23700000 ATDMA - 64QAM 44.250 7 6400000
3 38596000 ATDMA - 64QAM 44.250 5 3200000

****Edit Labels****

Welcome to the Community @Highland_Dragon Smiley Very Happy

The firmware should update automatically within 48-72 hours. The new firmware will show 4.5.8.16, and should result in smoother gaming experience.

I have heard mixed reviews for matchmaking on games such as Destiny and GTA Online across all platforms, while other games are fine. As you can see from my previous posts some users have created a website to setup dedicated teams for those specific games. I do have a friend who plays Destiny on his Xbox with his router setup in Bridge Mode with his preferred 3rd party router.

Lets us know the outcome after the firmware has been pushed!

RogersAsif

Thanks Asif. I'm going to try bridge mode when I'm finished work for the day.

Cheers,
Mark

@Highland_Dragon No problem.

I would suggest waiting for the update then bridging the modem. With the firmware 4.4.8.13 you may still experience issues in bridge mode. Apologies for the inconvenience. 

What 3rd party router do you intend to use for Bridge Mode?

RogersAsif

I have a netgear wndr3700

Call tech support and ask the CSR to run a signal check on the modem.  You have a high frequency roll-off going on which isn't going to help your download rates.  If you look at the Downstream Signal Levels, you can see that they start at -2.3 dBmV and as the frequency increases the level drops, reaching a minimum of -9.9 dBmV.  They should all be in the -2 to -3 dBmV range.  Considering that you have three services, that implies that there is at least one three way splitter in the signal path, or possibly an inline amplifier.  That would put your original signal levels at approx +1 to 1.5 dBmV, which is pretty good for an initial install, but, there is definitely something going on with the cable or connectors that is causing that high frequency roll-off.  The splitter or amplifier causes a minimum of -3.5 dB loss, input to output, bringing the signal level for the modem down to the - 2dBmV range, but the frequency response for the splitter or amplifier is essentially flat throughout its operating range, so, there is something else causing the problem. 

The upstream levels are slightly elevated but not to the point of causing problems.  Provided that the field tech can determine what the issue is, I would expect to see those drop down to the 36 to 40 dBmV range at the same time that the downstream levels come back up to where they should be and flatten out.

Arguably the signal levels are still in spec, which is +15dBmV down to - 15dBmV on the downstream side with a normal value of 0 dBmV, and on the upstream side the levels are normally within a 36 to 40 dBmV range with a maximum value of 51dBmV for three or four channel operation.  However, despite those facts, the roll-off is not normal.

To switch the modem from Gateway to Bridge mode, log into the modem, navigate to the BASIC...... GATEWAY FUNCTION tab and disable the Residential Gateway Function.  Save the setting and the modem will automatically reboot into Bridge mode.  To access the modem when its running in Bridge mode and router connected and running, use 192.168.100.1 to access the modem login in page.  That will allow you to check the signal levels and switch the modem back to Gateway mode if you so choose.  You don't have to implement any special router rules to use that address, nor do you have to disconnect anything and connect directly to the modem to access it in Bridge mode.  That 192.168.100.1 address can be used in either Gateway or Bridge mode.

Note that the issues with the modem, in terms of online gaming, problems witih VOIP devices, VPNs and latency exist in both Gateway and Bridge mode.  So, until 4.5.8.16 is loaded, using the modem for any of those activities will be an exercise in frustration.  What is it they say, take two martinis and call me in the morning.....  Something like that.

@andrewmalheiro my guess is that the PS4 ethernet controller and wifi controller have different MAC addresses.  I was looking at one of our laptops and that is how its built, so, I suspect that is a normal practice.  Normally its probably not an issue, as you would set up port forwarding for the ethernet or wifi path and leave it in that configuration.  But if you switched back and forth, you would have to reset the static IP address and port forwarding when you switched, assuming that it was hard set in the modem, or, you would have to use UPNP and let the console and modem sort themselves out. 

If you bring up the connected devices list in the modem with the PS4 running, have a look at the existing PS4 MAC address.  Then, change the connection type and refresh the conected device list.  I don't know how dynamic the list is, so if it doesn't pick up on the connection change you might have to reboot the modem and check it again.  If you go from a wifi connection to an ethernet connection for example, don't worry about the static address and port forwarding in the modem at that point.  The modem should simply detect the ethernet connection and display it.  You could or should see a different MAC address. 

Assuming that that is indeed the case, you can either clear out the existing static address and port forwarding rules and reset them for the ethernet connection, or enable UPNP and in either case, reboot the modem.  If you have enabled UPNP, after the reboot, start the PS4, and then log into the modem and check the port forwarding rules to see if they have indeed been set automatically.  Something to consider, UPNP in the CGN3 modem did not work properly until the last firmware update.  Consider the possibility that UPNP might not work properly in the CNG3ACSMR.  I have yet to see confirmation from anyone that has UPNP running on the CGN3ACSMR that the modem, in conjunction with the console has set the port forwarding rules and that those rules are visible in the modem port forwarding page.  If they don't show up on the page, try a test with the PS4 and see what NAT condition you end up with.  That will really tell you if UPNP is working or not, and whether or not UPNP works without displaying the rules that have been set. 

@RogersAsifdo you happen to know what setting you use for UPNP, as you seem to be able to switch back and forth from ethernet to wifi without problems?

Highland_Dragon
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the detailed response @Datalink. Much appreciated. I'll call right now.

Cheers,
HD

Datalink wrote:

@RogersAsifdo you happen to know what setting you use for UPNP, as you seem to be able to switch back and forth from ethernet to wifi without problems?

It's enabled. And correct, I am able to switch back and forth between Wifi and Ethernet without issues. Guessing, something to do with the fact that @andrewmalheiro used a manual setup(I use auto).

RogersAsif

Yep, in your case its a combination of UPNP and the setup routine in the PS4.  If someone was setting everything manually, switching ethernet / wifi should require resetting the static IP address and port forwarding.

Highland_Dragon
I Plan to Stick Around
Thanks again for the reply @Datalink. Just to update, I did call tech support and they did a test and said everything was fine. 😕 I'm really hoping the firmware held when it gets pushed.
We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 71 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 9 in conversation