CGN3 and Nest

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

CGN3 and Nest

Anyone know how I get the CGN3 to let me Nest Thermostat past it? I have all the port forwarding setup, but it's not letting it out.

Anyone able to get it working with out paying the Rogers TechXperts for it?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CGN3 and Nest

I plan on picking one of these up after xmas, so while I can't help now can let you know after I get mine.

First guess... Is that the forwarding, etc, MIGHT be just fine... That this many be the more wireless multicast issue..(which effects wireless printers, chromecasts, etc)

I have the cgn3 not bridged but my own wireless router as an access point so it avoids the multicast issue. So I will see if that makes a difference.
Unfortunately may be a week or so till I can do it.

I Plan to Stick Around

check your firewall settings. I had to set mine to min from max to get my NEST to talk. I have not tried the med setting or opening the port which Nest uses. YET

Regards
I Plan to Stick Around

Increased firewall setting to TYPICAL and Nest is still reachable.
Nest uses ports 80,443,9543 & 9443
Regards
Regards
I'm Here A Lot

Well I've tried everything aside from getting a seperate router and nothing works, likely better to start looking for a better internet provider cause frankly Roger's customer service and support have gone way down in the past few years. $129 to talk to a so called TechXpert give me a break, that service use to be part of general support.

I Plan to Stick Around

There is a lot of discussion on the NEST forum about wifi connection issues.especially with the last update.
I worked thru my issue with NEST support , abet I discovered the firewall issue because of the newly installed CGN3 cable modem/router.

BTW  Port forwarding was not necessary.
Good luck

Regards
I'm Here A Lot

I've tried every setting on the firewall including turning it completely off and still the NEST won't get past the router.

I Plan to Stick Around

On Nest check voltage  mine is 3.91 volts
check software version mine is 4.3.3
reset network
If network reset does not work reset nest and reload Wi-Fi settings
NEST does not support Wi-Fi N or AC only G
good luck

Regards
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Finally got my NEST set up today.

The G is no completely correct.. I have my wifi in my house, set to N only, and the NEST connects just fine.

I am running the CGN3, in gateway mode, with my own router for wireless.

My firewall settings are set to MINIMAL, and no port forwarding.. it connected instantly.

My first though would be something with the WIFI on the CGN3 being the issue.. but it sounds like frankb's is fine with the CGN3's wifi.

There must be something else which is interfearing, etc with it.

I would try a full WIPE on the NEST, and re add it, right beside where the CGN3 is.
(wondering if its a signal range issue to where the unit it going)

Going to another provider, i dont think would make much of a difference.
Bell's gateway devices.. are the same range wise if not worse.... and any 3rd party, will only provide you a modem, where you are at the same point of getting your own router to do wifi anyways.

I Plan to Stick Around

The info on N not supported came from NEST SUPPORT. good news if it does, I'd rather only run N . There is a major issue on the Nest support web site with wifi and their latest update. I'm running CGN3 and latest Nest sw and the only issue I had with the CGN3 was the firewall. Thanks for the heads up on N wifi support. I'll test mine this weekend.
Regards