CGN3 - Sonicwall VPN

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

CGN3 - Sonicwall VPN

Yesterday, I upgraded from my 250 GB Ultimate service to the Fibre-60 plan with a CGN3 modem I picked up from the store. Everything is working except my Sonicwall Global VPN.  It's a software firewall - logging in is fine but connecting to any Terminal Server or SQL Server hangs.  The ports (3389, 1433) are open but the connection is never completed.

Originally I put the modem in bridge mode like the old modem but when that didn't work, I reset it and connected the PC directly to the modem.  Turned the firewall off - no luck.  Created a new virtual machine and tried to connect from that - no luck.  Anyone got any other ideas?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CGN3 - Sonicwall VPN

Hmm..

So the software, is a VPN client?  That you use it, to connect to ANOTHER network somewhere?

Or is it a Software VPN running on something internal, for you to connect from externaly TO your network?

I'm Here A Lot

Yes, it's a VPN client run on my computer. Dell SonicWALL Global VPN Client to be exact.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, and you say it logs in correctly?

(i am assuming that the SERVER connecting to is at some other location?)

Your able to connect to your remote network.  Can you ping the servers where the SQL or anything else is?

I dont THINK that the CGN3 blocks anything of that sense.
With my CGN3... i run a Forigate SSL VPN client, which connects via 10443 to our firewall at work.

I'm Here A Lot

There are a variety of servers at the remote location (data center).

Yes, I can login correctly and ping the internal servers (e.g., 10.20.50.196) and get a response back.  But when I try to remote desktop into the server the connection never completes.  It's almost as if something is tampering with the datastream as I can see port 3389 is open.   Similarly, I can ping the web server (10.20.50.191) but http://10.20.50.191/ results in a reset connection page.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Call tech support and see if Rogers happens to have those ports reserved for some reason.  There was a posting in the forum recently where the individual who was attempting to run open ports or port forwarding finally determined there was a reservation issue.

I'm Here A Lot

These are standard ports (80, 3389). If they were reserved, wouldn't the old modem have an issue as well?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats what one would think.  Seems logical.  Keep in mind there is a firmware update which apparently is being pushed out at this time.  Don't know if it would make any difference, but its something to keep in mind.  I've only seen one person indicate that it's loaded on his CGN3 and I thought by now we would see more people indicate that it had arrived.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The only ports, that i know are resevered so far.. are 20 i think it is.. and 8080... but thats mostly for INCOMMING.

I know 80 as a rule, forwards, etc fine.. as i have a webserver running at home.. on 80 external, forwarding to 80 internal.

ONLY thing i can think of.. is the NAT.. the same issues that some VOIP units, xboxes, etc, have with the unit.. is messing something up.

This may be a another case.. of BRIGE MODEing again, with a 3rd party router.

I'm Here A Lot

In one series of tests I did I completely unhooked everything and reset the modem so the entire network was:

PC -- modem -- cable outlet.

Order Now!
UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cerrone Live
LIVE: Saturday, January 18th 10:00 PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of January 16th

He's back! Irish superstar Conor McGregor makes his return to the Octagon on January 18, and he's kicking off 2020 with a welterweight showdown against the man with the most wins in UFC history, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone. Returning to action for the first time since October 2018 in the main event of UFC 246, the two-division champion from Dublin known as "The Notorious" one wants to make a statement against Albuquerque action hero Cerrone, who has picked up five post-fight performance bonuses in his last five bouts.

Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation