CGN3 (Rogers Advanced WiFi Modem) "DNS" issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

CGN3 (Rogers Advanced WiFi Modem) "DNS" issues

Hello everyone,

In the beginning of August 2013, I decided to make the upgrade to the new "in-market" Rogers Ultimate Unlimited package. At this point I was in a grand fathered Rogers Ultimate plan and discovered that in order to get "Unlimited", I need to get the in-market package. So I ended up going to FutureShop to buy a CGN2 to make this happen. The rep on the phone was able to get me on Rogers Ultimate, but not Rogers Ultimate Unlimited. For weeks there was apparently a ticket for the "back-office".

Finally I got a voicemail that said we needed to get the "Rogers Advanced WiFi modem" AKA CGN3. So I went out to my local Rogers store to get this modem and finally got them to activate Rogers Ultimate Unlimited. Initially I noticed when the modem was setup as default (not-bridged) and directly connected to the router, the speeds would be 40mbp/s down 10mbp/s. What happened to the download speeds? Well, I bridged it afterwards and speeds picked up to their normal speeds (even better than that too). 

At this point I was pretty satisfied, until I noticed I couldn't resolve anything in a web browser. I do regularily use Skype though and noticed that I was still connected in a call I was in. This indicated that it is not the connection that is having the problem. I'm using Google's Public DNS (8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4) and tried using OpenDNS' aswell (along with Primary/Secondary being mixed). When I tried to ping 8.8.8.8 when this issue occured, it always timed out. I am forced to reboot the modem to resolve this issue.

I started to troubleshoot the issue by removing the router I had between the bridge and plugging it directly to a freshly installed Windows 7 box. After a few hours, the same issue occured and another reboot was required (again, when using services directly connected to an IP [which do not require DNS lookups] such as Skype, those services do not become affected as a connection is already established). Frustrated, I decided to call up Rogers and ask them what to do, they said to swap it out. So I did.

Even with the swapped out CGN3, I am still experincing these DNS issues. I did not have these DNS issues with the SMC modem I had with my grand fathered Rogers Ultimate package nor with the poorly rated CGN2. Although I see many people rating the CGN3 highly, I would much rather have the CGN2 at this point if it was possible than the CGN3.

Hope anyone has a clue of what is going on here.

P.S This issue is not related with http://www.neowin.net/news/intels-wi-fi-adapters-connectivity-issues-continue

Thanks!

***edited labels***

I'm a Senior Contributor

Re: CGN3 (Rogers Advanced WiFi Modem) "DNS" issues

An 'Unlimited' cap has NOTHING to do with the model of GateWay or modem (I think you already know that) and is just ANOTHER Rogers FORCED upgrade at a HIGHER price point ( I think you realize that too)

Sadly, you should still be using your trusted CGN2 which may have avoided this whole DNS issue. This sounds more like a Firmware revision problem than anything else. PRAY Rogers fixes the bug. It's probably one of those that only appear under UNIQUE circumstances.

As far as your experiences go, best of luck. It's just Rogers Section 26 of their Terms of Service at it's finest.

Wish I could be more help.............

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While i dont have either of those modems, i cant compare as to how the DNS works on them

many regulars here, can attest to how bad the rogers ones are... good that you are trying to use the google, etc ones.

While it may not help directly if its a problem with the hardware itself... personaly i havent had much issues, when i have set the DNS at the DEVICE level instead.  if its the router failing, doing it this way, may at least temp resolve it.

I've Been Here Awhile

You are not alone in your struggles with the CGN3.  Please check my post in another CGN3 related thread...

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/124...

Bottom line:  I ditched the CGN3 and am back using Cisco DCP3825.

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm having this issue as well -- since "upgrading" to a CGN3 thirty hours ago (whcih Rogers insisted on when I called in to upgrade my transfer cap), I've had three occurences of a situation where exising network flows continue but no new flows can be established.  It isn't just DNS queries that don't work, nothing does -- e.g. I can't netcat directly to an open port on a known IP.  So that kills pretty much everything (web browsing, netflix, etc.) except long-lived sessions that were already running at the time the problem occurs.

Nothing wrong with the rest of my gear, and I've verified that by resetting every other piece of equipment -- laptop, network switches, my RT-N56U router ... none of that resolves the problem.  But resetting the CGN3 does, every time.

Like the OP, I'm using the CGN3 in bridge mode.

Speed is excellent.  Stability .... not so much.

I'll try a hardware swap... hoping this is just a bad box.  Otherwise, what are the options?

I'm a Trusted Contributor

rreiner wrote,

Like the OP, I'm using the CGN3 in bridge mode.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speedwise, does your CGN3 performs in bridged mode the same way as in gateway mode? I mean, purely in regards o speeds

I'm a Senior Contributor

@rreiner wrote:

I'm having this issue as well --

I'll try a hardware swap... hoping this is just a bad box.  Otherwise, what are the options?

I don't now, nor have I ever believed it's a hardware issue. I think Rogers is pushing out badly written firmware in their quest to modify OUR usage of their boxes. 'Control over quality' is their #1 problem.

When we see firmware flashes that disable USB functions, port forwarding etc we know Rogers is seriously impeding hardware performance.

These boxes ARE TESTED at the factory. It's only a PCB with a chip mounted in a box. Manufacturers would go OUT OF BUSINESS if their products failed at the rate Rogers has us SWAPPING boxes. It's common sense.

Rogers needs to stick to what they're good at and leave the factory installed bios that ships in the NextBox and CGN3 alone.

Rogers is not devoting the resources necessary to their 'custom' firmware/bios development and we're paying the price.

These boxes ship from the factory fully able to run on Rogers network. It's Rogers, and only Rogers, that's the cause of these performance issues.

I'd really like to see what the 'box' manufacturers have to say about ALL this. I'd bet that would be a real REVELATION and set the record straight.

LOOK at the PRICE POINT these things retail at. The VENDOR has a lot riding on the hardware QUALITY they're selling.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
I've Been Here Awhile

TeDD13 wrote:

> Speedwise, does your CGN3 performs in bridged mode the same way as in gateway mode? I mean, purely in regards

> to speeds

Yes -- it's bloody fast, actually.  I have Extreme service (rated 35Mbps) and speedtest.net measures it at anywhere from 45Mbps to 70Mbps, depending on which GTA-area test server I select.  It's perceptibly quicker for ordinary web surfing vs. the Scientific Atlanta DPX2100 that was in service previously at the same Extreme (35Mbps) service level -- as it should be, DOCSIS3 vs DOCSIS2.

But none of that is worth a rat's  to me if it crashes twice a day.  The semi-literate Rogers support tech last night "pushed a file" to it to "see what that would do" -- I presume that means a DOCSIS parameter file.  Unlikely to help, I think.

One more crash and TekSavvy here I come (hard to argue with 45Mbps with 300GB cap, for less than Rogers with a 120GB cap).

**edited for content**

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

They have been changing around the upstream/downstream channl setting lately.. so if they sent a different config, could make a difference.

One thing to remember if switching to TSI..

That even though you have to buy the modem, etc seperately, etc.. the modem in the end is still provisioned by rogers as its using their lines

So if the problem is anything from the backend that is causing it.. you may quite possibly have the same thing there as well 😞

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Interesting... I didn't have any of the problems you described by my CGN3 performed much slower in bridged mode. that was a major surprise and I couldn't understand the cause. Once I put the same CGN3 in gateway mode - it became fast again