Got CGN3 modem and I'm in 5 replacement now and have exactly same problems. First of all instead of 250 Mbps I got 30 Mbps exactly as it would be capped to that speed even Rogers say is not. Upload is right and 20Mbps old modem I had with burst up to 90Mbps down and 4 Mbps up. This one download no more no less 30Mbps down and Rogers don't know why.
It wouldn't be so bad as 30 down and 20 up is good for me but I have to reset power every 8 hours or so as modem get stale and stop connecting to websites kind of DNS issue and anything connected with IP addresses is still working though but in the end I have to reset that modem anyway to get everything working again. Firmware is changing and my last modem has 220.127.116.11
I think but nothing changed and all modems behave exactly the same with one difference, 2 of the modems I got didn't work well with my computer network interface and it was going on and off but it was only with my computer and when I connected to my router it work ok. I have my modem in bridge mode and it doesn't matter if is bridged or not I have exactly same speeds when testing.
After browsing thru other topics in the community, I chatted with Rogers support. My modem is running firmware 18.104.22.168 and a ticket has been escalated to push the 22.214.171.124 firmware update to my modem within 24 to 48 hours. Will see.
I am running Asus AC1900 RT-AC68U router. I can tell it isn't the router issue and connectivity issue. As I said, the internet browsing is lost, my VPN session is still operational.
For about a week and a half, I've been having an issue where if I'm connected to, for instance, a stream, youtube video, or a game, all other connections randomly seem get dropped and I can't establish any new connections until I close my current connection (the youtube webpage, stream, game, etc.). After I close that connections, in about 10-15 seconds, everything else works again. It doesn't happen every time, but it seems to be occuring randomly.
I used to have the same problem about a year ago, and as I recall it was a problem with a DNS connection (according to windows troubleshooting).
I really have no idea why this is happening. I've tried restarting my gateway, changing my DNS to google's, contacting support, but nothing seems to help. I'm using the SMCD3GN-RRR, and have been for several years now.
The speeds I get themselves are fine, but its the random disconnects that seem to happen around every hour (though I haven't noticed a pattern) that are infiuriating. I'm noticing it on my wired and wireless connections to the router.
Someone else seemed to have the same issue but with a different gateway, so I'm really unsure of what could be causing it.
If anyone has any suggestions or advice, I would gladly like to hear it.
While its POSSIBLE its a DNS issue... i am thinking its MORE possibly something else.
Myself included.. a bunch of others as well.. have had a thing... where it was an HOURLY (either every hour) or at min every other or few hours.. but always at that same hour point (say 1:33, 3:33, etc).
This was caused by them doing work on rogers back end for the area. It lasted about 2 weeks or so... then went away as the work was done.
To easily check to see if its a DNS issue.. since you cant change the DNS on the SMC from my recolection.. is to just change the DNS server on your device, to say GOOGLE (126.96.36.199) and see if it makes a difference.
Well I already talked to customer support, and they confirmed there was no work going on in my area, so I really don't know.. I've had my DNS on my device set to google's up until today where I reverted it back to automatic, and that still did not help. The issue still exists (it just happened again like 15 minutes ago).
Maybe it's a problem on my end, but I have no idea at all what would be causing it.
I wouldn't necessarily trust that. Not saying the person was lying, just that they didn't have the info.
First 3 times I called, they never said there was anything. Had me try bridge mode, and countless other things.
Eventually they planned a tech out. While setting up that they got the message about the maintenance said should be over in 3-4 days, and around that time is when it went back to normal.
Just wish they forewarned people..
Wow, thanks for the info. It didn't seem like the support employee I was connected to knew much, so that may be the case. You've been more helpful than he was.