CGN3 (Rogers Advanced WiFi Modem) "DNS" issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlannen
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CGN3 (Rogers Advanced WiFi Modem) "DNS" issues

Seems many of us are having issues with the cgn3..I have to reboot it daily. My speeds are less so used with my rtn66u then my cgn2 was. So basically im paying more for slower speeds and less reliabilty.i have of oucrse been on the phone with rogers to log my issues every single time it goes out

I have a low tolerence for this type of thing but having each occurence logged will help shortly 🙂

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have not clue what causes it, but others as well have found that for some reason when you bridged that unit it slows down.
At gateway settings get the full speed.

gef123gf
I've Been Here Awhile

Yesterday, the Rogers on-site technician supervisor I have been dealing with for the past couple of weeks confirmed that Rogers is looking into problems and numerous customer complaints with the CGN3 "at a high level" - e.g. he participated in a conf call with a few directors.

If you are experiencing issues with the CGN3, it may be wise to consider another more stable gateway in the mean time.

Here is the latest post on my experience with the CGN3 from another thread.

http://rogers.lithium.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/11542/page/3

jjdacl
I've Been Here Awhile

I was recently forced to upgrade my gateway in order to get my full bandwidth cap (yes, I know it's not hardware related! tell them that!)

I use a vpn to connect to my office and often (but not all the time), when I disconnect the VPN, my DNS screws up.

This didn't happen with the old gateway.

I've found the solution is to run "ipconfig /flushdns" and then it comes back again. Might work for your situation too maybe.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

jjdacl

Have you tried specificaly forcing your DNS on your specific network adapter?  Could be an issue if its AUTO, trying to grab your local one, then when on the VPN, grabing the one from there, and transitioning back and forth for some reason.

DF00
I've Been Around

Switched from cgn2bridged+airportextreme to the cgn3 a few days ago. I'm not impressed by wifi range or speed. I noticed my firmware is still 4.1.4.2 so I called rogers and was told the push is automatic and could take up to a week or two.

I hope that helps, or this is going to be bridged, with the airport extreme returning for router function.

Rogers can't seem to get this right. Just give us a good fkn modem for a reasonable price. Thats all we ask.

Also, I'm one floor up, 30ft away, and can't stream TuneIn Radio on the iPad. This is nonsense.
Jarino
I've Been Here Awhile

I have the exact story word for word of original poster. Have been rebooting my modem  on a daily basis to resolve this DNS issue right after going to bridge mode on the recommendation of a tech. Is there a solution to this? If I go back to the old modem will I still get the close to 200mbps speeds I currently get? My NIC is already set with the 8.8. DNS IPs and still the router needs to be rebooted every morning.

wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

This appears to be the same issue discussed inm the "Keep needing to reboot CGN3" thread.  Rogers has admitted that this is a problem and they are (hopefully) working to fix it.

Some people (me included) find that the problem goes away or is much less frequent when you go back to gateway mode from bridge mode.  But the web UI is very flaky and prone to crashing the device when you try to use it.

You should still be able to get the Ultimate 150/10 service working fine with other routers like the Cisco and perhaps SMC, but for the Ultimate 250/20 service it seems that this is the only modem that you can use, although some at Rogers have a different view.

Jarino
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

SimplePanda
I Plan to Stick Around

You need either the Cisco or the Hitron CGN2 to use 150/10. The SMC is a 4x4 only device and Rogers will only provision it on Extreme Plus or lower.