cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGN3 ROG Modem Won't Bridge

6ixGod
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello everyone, 

I've become increasingly frustrated with the new Hitron router that was so generously supplied by Rogers. I can now no longer port forward and my internet doesn't work half the time (and won't at all on gaming consoles). I have tried using a third party router for some time now (Linksys EA4500) with little success because it will not go into bridge mode. Here's what I'm doing:

1) Going to 192.168.0.1, the modem's default gateway.

2) Disabling both the 2.4G and 5G Wi-Fi settings.

3) Adding the IP of my router into the DMZ. 

4) Disabling uPnP and the Residential Gateway Function. 

When my router resets, the Wi-Fi will come back on (even though it shouldn't) and I am able to connect to the modem via the default gateway (which I shouldn't be able to do). Also, after I disable the Wi-Fi settings, it still broadcasts them and I'm still able to connect. The interface is also buggy on the CGN3- it will freeze when trying to change tabs after about 2 or 3 clicks. 

My question is if there's anything I can still do that I'm missing; or if this is a firmware issue? 

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: CGN3 ROG Modem Won't Bridge

Ok, in that case, its not switching into Bridge mode as it should.  Take it back to a Rogers store and swap it.  That's the first CGN3 reported in the forum that has failed to switch over to Bridge mode.  I would suspect some type of firmware corruption is preventing the change over.   Tape a note to it indicating that it won't change over to Bridge mode.  That way, the tech that checks the incoming modems will know what to look for, assuming that these are recycled.

The CGN3 will start with the wifi networks up and running for its default settings.  When it kicks into Bridge mode, you won't see the wifi LEDs lit.  That a problem with the CGN3ACSMR and its latest firmware version.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The basic problem is that you're misinterpreting what the Residential Gateway Function does.  When it is enabled, the modem operates in Gateway mode, meaning that it has routing and Wifi capabilities.  When you disable the Residential Gateway Function and save the setting the modem reboots into Bridge mode where it only has modem capabilities, no routing or wifi capabilities at all. 

So, it depends on what you are trying to do.

Gateway mode:  Use the ethenet ports and Wifi capabilities of the modem, including placing a pc or laptop in the DMZ if you want to do that. 

Bridge mode:  Connect the router to the modem after the modem has completed its reboot into Bridge mode and log into your router to set any parameters required.  The router should respond to 192.168.0.1 at that point.  Usually its a good idea to run a factory reset on the router if this is a new install with the Hitron modem, and start the router from a clean start.  Food for thought, the router probably won't keep up to the higher speeds that the modem is capable of, especially if you use anything like QOS, traffic monitoring or any other function that requires the CPU to do something with or to the data.

With the router connected and running, have a look at the back of the modem, specifically the connected port LED.  If its amber, that indicates a 1 Gb/s connection with the router.  If its green, that indicates a 10/100 Mb/s connection with the router.  The router has 1x Gigabit WAN, 4x Gigabit LAN, so on a straight wired speedtest, you should see the same speedtest results whether you run directly off of the modem or router.  Unless you have a problem with the ethernet cable or connections at either end, the modem port LED should be amber, running a 1Gb/s connection with the router.

Have a look at the back of the modem as well for the product sticker, most likely a CGN3 or CGN3ACSMR.  If you have a CGN3, to reset the modem back to Gateway mode, you have to run a factory rest by depressing the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds and then releasing it.  That will initiate the reset back to Gateway mode with default parameters set.  If you have a CGN3ACSMR, you can log into the modem thru the router and use 192.168.100.1 as the modem login address.  That will allow you to reset the modem back to Gateway mode through the router interface, and also check the signal levels in the STATUS....DOCSIS WAN page if that ever becomes necessary.  You can, if you prefer, use the recessed reset button at the back of the CGN3ACSMR modem to run a Factory reset.

So, after all that, simple solution, don't set anything, just disable the Residential Gateway Function,save the setting and the modem will boot into Bridge mode where you will have to use a third party router for firewall, routing, wifi duties, etc, etc.

Prior to disabling the Residential Gateway Function disable both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz wifi networks.  Hopefully that will ensure that the wifi LEDs do not light up when the modem kicks into Bridge mode.  The fact that the LEDs are illuminated in Bridge mode is a firmware bug.  The modem cannot transmit a wifi network when its running in Bridge mode.

Give that a go and let us know how things are working out.

6ixGod
I Plan to Stick Around

"Prior to disabling the Residential Gateway Function disable both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz wifi networks.  Hopefully that will ensure that the wifi LEDs do not light up when the modem kicks into Bridge mode.  The fact that the LEDs are illuminated in Bridge mode is a firmware bug.  The modem cannot transmit a wifi network when its running in Bridge mode."

I can confirm that it is a firmware bug. In the dozen times I have attempted to put it into Bridge Mode, upon the reboot the WiFi LEDs always light up. Any idea on how to fix this? 

By the way, yes, the modem that shouldn't be transmitting anything is transmitting (checked using inSSIDer), I can see a 2.4GHz signal. 

Alright, something here isn't making sense.  I'm assuming that you have a CGN3ACSMR as seen at the back of the modem.  After you have kicked the modem into Bridge mode, log into the modem, either thru the router or with a direct ethernet connection by using 192.168.100.1  If it is running in Bridge mode you should only be able to see the following top menu items and the indicated sub-pages:

STATUS

-System Information
-DOCSIS Provisioning
-DOCSIS WAN
-DOCSIS Event

BASIC

-Gateway Function

ADMINISTRATION

-Management
-Diagnostics
-Backup
-Device Reset

If you only see those items, the modem is running in Bridge mode.  If you see a top WIRELESS and SECURITY selection, then the modem has not changed over to Bridge mode for some reason despite your selection to disable the Residential Gateway Function.  Take it to the nearest Rogers store and swap it.

If you don't see the WIRELESS and SECURITY selections, then the modem is running in Bridge mode and should not be transmitting a wifi network.  The firmware bug with the wifi LEDs remaining lit will definitely add confusion at this point.  With your pc or laptop running inSSIDer to show the various networks in your neighborhood, unplug the power suppply for the modem.  If the network that you attribute to the modem is in fact transmitting from your modem, in about three to four minutes that network should shrink in size on the graphical display, move downward on the text display if the text data is sorted by power levels, and it should be removed from the display and text area at some point.  If it does that, then yes, for some reason, it was transmitting from your modem.  If so, and the modem was in Bridge mode as indicated by the top level menu items, yours will be the first that has ever been reported in the forum that has displayed that particular combination of problems, modem in Bridge mode with wifi network transmitting.  There is always a first time for everything, but, I'll wait for your test results before believing it. 

If the network in question remains transmitting when the modem is unplugged from the wall socket, then, it or they belong to someone else who has not changed the network names from the default settings.  Removing the power from the modem is the quickest way to determine where that network is transmitting from.  There are Rogers clients in my neighborhood who haven't changed the modem's default wifi network names, so it wouldn't surprise me if you were seeing the same thing.  The default network names and passphrases are shown at the back of the modem.  I thought they might be unique to every modem, but I could be wrong about that one.  If they aren't unique, then there is a definite possibility for confusion here, where your modem wifi network is dead, and I do mean dead, but yet you can see the network running on the inSSIDer display.  The other hint that the network isn't yours would be the power level of the network in question.  If its sitting in with the rest of the pack, then its transmitting from a fair distance away.  It its at the top of the heap, so to speak, then it could be yours, or possibly belong to your immediate neighbour.  In any event, killing the modem power will resolve the issue.

The firmware bug with the LEDs will not be resolved until the next version is released.  I know that this has been included in the next version, but I haven't seen a release date.  I suspect that it could be a long time before the next firmware release.

Give that a go and let us know what you find out.

6ixGod
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

Alright, something here isn't making sense.  I'm assuming that you have a CGN3ACSMR as seen at the back of the modem.

It is just a CGN3. 

If you only see those items, the modem is running in Bridge mode.  If you see a top WIRELESS and SECURITY selection, then the modem has not changed over to Bridge mode for some reason despite your selection to disable the Residential Gateway Function.  Take it to the nearest Rogers store and swap it.

Upon logging into the router, I see both WIRELESS and SECURITY. Everything that was avaliable to me before trying to put it into bridge mode is still avaliable.  Also, upon unplugging the modem the signal dies down. This can also be confirmed because I never changed the default network name (which is also displayed in inSSIDer and corrolates with the one on the back of my modem).  Also, I am the only one in my neighbourhood (that I can pick up at least) with a Rogers SSID. 

Ok, in that case, its not switching into Bridge mode as it should.  Take it back to a Rogers store and swap it.  That's the first CGN3 reported in the forum that has failed to switch over to Bridge mode.  I would suspect some type of firmware corruption is preventing the change over.   Tape a note to it indicating that it won't change over to Bridge mode.  That way, the tech that checks the incoming modems will know what to look for, assuming that these are recycled.

The CGN3 will start with the wifi networks up and running for its default settings.  When it kicks into Bridge mode, you won't see the wifi LEDs lit.  That a problem with the CGN3ACSMR and its latest firmware version.

6ixGod
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you for your help. Looks like I'm making a trip to a Rogers store. 

Just to note, the CGN3 will not allow you to log back into the modem when its running in Bridge mode.  That capability was lost when the current version firmware was released.  Hopefully it will return in the next version.  So, if you have to log into the modem to check the signal levels for example, you will have to run a Factory reset by using the recessed reset button at the back of the modem.  After the reboot back into Gateway mode, you can log into the modem, run the checks as required and then kick the modem back into Bridge mode.  You might have to connect directly to the modem to access it.  It depends on the router and whether or not the router will allow you to access the modem using 192.168.0.1 when everything is connected for Bridge mode operation.

The CGN3ACSMR will allow you to log into the modem when its in Bridge mode.  If you have a router connected to the modem, followed by a pc or laptop, you can log into the CGN3ACSMR by using 192.168.100.1 as the modem's login address.  You can leave the physical configuration alone, and simply use that address from the pc or laptop.

6ixGod
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, I've heard that it shouldn't allow you to log back in, however when I place it in bridge mode and navigate to 192.168.0.1 it always allows me to do so. 

Yup, it shouldn't do that.  Swap it out yet?

6ixGod
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

Yup, it shouldn't do that.  Swap it out yet?

Yes, swapped it out today and it now runs bridge mode as it should Smiley Happy now the problem I'm having is my other router- it behaves normally when not in bridge mode but gives me an error code (Error 2118, Linksys EA4500 router) when I try to to anything on it in bridge mode. I've tried doing a factory reset on it with no success. Any ideas? Seems to me like the third-party router not recognizing an internet connection while in bridge mode.

P.S.- Still can't portforward with both the modem or the router. I don't know why you can't portforward on those modems but it never works. 

Ok, but why are you running the router in Bridge mode?  A normal network configuration is:

1.  Modem in Bridge mode, router in full router mode;

2.  Modem in Gateway mode, router in Access Point mode to act as a wifi and ethernet access point.  The modem does all of the firewall, routing, DHCP server duties, etc.  You could run the modem wifi if you wanted to and park the router somewhere at the other side of the house, running an a wifi / ethernet access point to provide coverage at the other end of the house.  Of course, you would need house ethernet to connect the two devices but you can run them in that configuration, which I did with an older Dlink-655 before it was finally retired.

3.  Modem in Gateway mode with wifi running, router in Bridge mode with wifi running, which acts as a wifi bridge to the modem.  The router will provide ethernet access via its ethernet ports, but the data is then transmitted and received via wifi from the Modem and then out to the internet.   This allows you to run a local network at some other area of the house where the house doesn't have ethernet wiring available that runs from the modem to that area. 

I believe what you want to do is run the modem in Bridge mode and allow your router to run in full router mode, providing firewall, routing, DHCP and wifi duties.  With the modem up and running in Bridge mode and the router connected and running, run a factory reset on the router, and then log into the router after its reboot is completed and configure the router as you would normally. 

6ixGod
I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry, my mistake- when the MODEM is in bridge mode the ROUTER starts acting up and gives me an error. 

Have you run a factory reset on the router up to this point? 

6ixGod
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, tried twice already. 

Do you happen to have a USB device connected to the USB port of the router?

Have a look at the following threads to see if they are of any relevance:

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/USB-Storage-Error-2118/td-p/565748

http://community.linksys.com/t5/Cisco-Connect/Cisco-Connect-Cloud-multiple-unexpected-errors/td-p/53...

Here's a rather interesting thread regarding factory resets and restoration via the backup file:

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/Port-forwarding-error/m-p/898623#M289016

6ixGod
I Plan to Stick Around

Hahah, read these threads already, no USB devices are plugged in. 

grr, this one as well?

Here's a rather interesting thread regarding factory resets and restoration via the backup file:

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/Port-forwarding-error/m-p/898623#M289016

Is the router IP address set to accept a dynamic address automatically?

6ixGod
I Plan to Stick Around

That's quite a good theory. In the end I just downgraded the firmware and now it's working fine. Something interesting though:

I disabled the firewall on the router because the port forwarding still wasn't working. Typed in Port 80, boom, open port. When I port forwarded Port 80 on an enabled firewall, the connection is refused. I don't get it. 

That's pretty goofy.  Is there a history of forwarding problems with this particular version of the router?  Will it accept DD-WRT?

6ixGod
I Plan to Stick Around

Not more than any other router as far as I know and sadly it doesn't.