CGN3 Madden 16 PS4 Issue

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

CGN3 Madden 16 PS4 Issue

Me and a friend are having an issue with Madden 16 and I think its because we both have the cgn3 modem.

Basically we can't play against each other online, tried calling ea and they said its an isp issue. My ps4 is Nat 2 and I'm told it needs to be Nat 1. I've also tried port forwarding without success.

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: CGN3 Madden 16 PS4 Issue

Hi @Habsfan1988

Welcome to the Community Forums!

Are you able to confirm the firmware of your modem? Contact us @CommunityHelps, if it's not verison 4.5.8.16.

What is your NAT setting at? Moderate?

Anything else we can suggest @Datalink or @Gdkitty?

@RogersPrasana

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@Habsfan1988 wrote:
Me and a friend are having an issue with Madden 16 and I think its because we both have the cgn3 modem.

Basically we can't play against each other online, tried calling ea and they said its an isp issue. My ps4 is Nat 2 and I'm told it needs to be Nat 1. I've also tried port forwarding without success.

CGN3 or CGN3ACSMR? The two are different and run different firmware which may be material for these purposes... 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

CGN3 and I just checked and I do have the latest firmware.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Have you taken a look at this? http://www.playstationing.com/ps4/how-to-change-your-nat-type-on-ps4-and-ps3/839 

Fundamentally, if you need 'NAT 1', then that means forwarding a whole lot of ports or a 'DMZ'-type setup (I don't know if the CGN3 has a DMZ feature; I've only ever used mine bridged...)

I admit that I am somewhat shocked that EA would release a game in 2015 that requires that level of network access - they should know by now that everyone is behind gazillions of NATs...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That chart on the linked page explains a lot.  The CGN3 series modems only have 9 port forwarding rules that you can set apparently.  The list shows 10.  So, that means, for PS4 and maybe PS3 operation, you need to compromise and use a wider port forwarding range so that you can combine two of those port sets into one rule, such as port 443 and 465.  Instead of them being separate rules, combine them so that one rule covers a port range of 443 to 465.  Now the interesting thing is that @RogersAsif uses a PS4 with a CGN3ACSMR with UPNP enabled so that he can switch from ethernet to wifi, and apparently that works.  So, does that mean that the last port range isn't required or that UPNP has a greater number of rules that it can set?  An interesting question.

In order to run port forwarding, you should have set a static IP address for the PS4 using the DHCP reservation function in the modem.  That will ensure that the PS4 always has the same IP address.  So, give this a try.

1.  Log into the modem

2.  Check the IP address that is used for the port forwarding.

3.  If you have to, change one of the port ranges to combine a couple ports or port ranges into one rule.

4.  Ensure that all of the ports listed in the linked page are covered by the port forwarding rules.

5.  Set that address for the PS4 with the DHCP reservation function. 

6.  Reboot the modem.

Alternate plan:

1.  Clear all of the rules and any IP reservation.

2.  Enable UPNP.

3.  Reboot the modem.

4.  Reboot the PS4

Try plan A first, then plan B, if the first doesn't work and let us know what works.  The limited rule set of 9 rules is definitely a problem.