CGN3 Bridged to ASUS Router and Download Speeds

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

CGN3 Bridged to ASUS Router and Download Speeds

This probably sounds like a real noob question, but does a router have any effect on download speeds? My CGN3 is bridged to an ASUS RT-AC68U router and I'm on the Hybrid 150/15 plan. Today, I downloaded Battlefield 4 from Origin. The download was about 26GB and I watched the statistics on the ASUS Traffic Manager. The download peaked at over 250mbps and was just a bit lower through the whole download, averaging around 225-230mbps, plus it completed in 20 minutes. I have also downloaded games from Steam and seen steady 215mbps speeds not quite as high as on the Origin site. Not that I'm complaining, but these speeds are very high considering it's supposed to be a 150mbps package. I realize speed boost probably makes some difference, but was wondering if anyone else here has seen this kind of performance.

***edited labels***

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: CGN3 Bridged to ASUS Router and Download Speeds

Funny you should mention that Jim - I was going to post something on SNB about this exact issue

Here's my setup:

Rogers Ultimate 250/20 service

Hitron CGN3 in Bridge mode 

Asus RT-N66U

Merlin firmware on the router

My speedtest speeds are almost always 250 (+/20) and 20(+/- 1).  You should be able to get up to 325 Mbps download speeds.

I am wondering if the router or Merlin is limiting the speeds.  I occasionally have seen 325 immediately after rebooting the router.  In Gateway mode I do see 325 - or at least I did many months ago.

Someone else compalined about slow speeds on dd-wrt on an Asus in bridge mode and I suggested he move to Merlin.  He replied that the speeds are much better - but it looks like dd-wrt is even worse.

Now in practice it doesn't really matter since I don't often get anywhere near 150 Mbps download speeds, never mind 250 or 325.  But it sounds like your download did max out your connection.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here is something to check when it comes to Asus router speeds. Navigate to LAN....SWITCH CONTROL and ensure that Hardware Acceleration is enabled.  The enables Broadcom's Cut Through Forwarding which is proprietary, poorly documented for home routers and poorly understood.  The CTF can be considered data forwarding at the chip level, enabling the router to handle high data rates with essentially no processing on the part of the router.  That comes at a price however, as functions such as QOS, traffic monitoring etc are not compatible with CTF.  Selecting about half a dozen functions will kick off the CTF function, probably without warning.

I'm an Advisor

Wayner92:

Just to clarify in case there's any confusion, I did say I have the Hybrid 150 plan, not the 250. Believe it or not, I did see a couple of download spikes that went over 350mbps for a second or two while watching the ASUS Traffic Manager. It showed a maximum speed of around 377mbps.

I want to find out if people on the 150 plan are seeing download speeds like I am. I only had the CGN3 for a couple of days before I got the router and did not do any big downloads that I could monitor. I do a speed test every day and always get a max of 200mbps which settles down to about 194mbps at the end. The thing that interests me is why are sites like Steam and Origin delivering much higher download speeds than speedtest.net does?

I'm an Advisor

Datalink:

Thanks for that info. I have looked at that setting before, but never bothered to find out what it means. There are 2 settings. The first one is called Enable Jumbo Frame and it's disabled by default. The second, which I think is the one you are referring to, is called NAT Acceleration and it's set to Auto. A comment next to it says 'NAT traffic is processed by CPU". I don't understand what that means and will look it up in the user manual.

EDIT: Well, guess what? Just checked the user manual and, even though it shows the Switch Control tab, it does not say anything about the 2 option settings. I guess the manual is out of date.

I'm an Advisor

jimboden wrote: The thing that interests me is why are sites like Steam and Origin delivering much higher download speeds than speedtest.net does?

Steam and Origin use very, very, very serious CDNs for their download distribution, so I would expect to see the highest performance from there...

I don't know how speedtest.net's servers are set up, but they don't have servers co-located inside Rogers with many, many gigabit/10GB connections straight into the Rogers network. Most CDNs do...

I'm an Advisor

VivienM:

Yes, they certainly are serious, but it makes perfect sense. I've never seen download speeds like that on any other site, but I'm sure there are others which do the same.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Datalink wrote:

Here is something to check when it comes to Asus router speeds. Navigate to LAN....SWITCH CONTROL and ensure that Hardware Acceleration is enabled. 

On that page I have three options:  Jumbo Frames, NAT Acceleration and Spanning Tree Protocol.  Do you mean NAT Acceleration?

On my router Jumbo frames is disabled and the other two are enabled.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, NAT acceleration is the one.  That really is a bad name for it.  Don't know why they just don't label it Broadcom CTF and be done with it.  That would at least be marginally more instructive.  The question is, when you enable that function, does it kick off other functions like QOS or Traffic Monitoring for example, which requires the data to route through the processor as there is further processing to be done on the data, as dictated by the specific function that is selected.

For lower data rates it probably wouldn't make any difference, as the processor would have enough horsepower to accept the inbound data packets, do whatever processing has to be done, and then push the data out to the specfic LAN port and still meet the expected data rate.  But, at a much higher rate, the processor wouldn't have the horsepower to do it all, so if you were looking for data throughput, you would select "NAT Acceleration" which bypasses the processor except for the any minimally required processing.  So the choice is speed and data throughput versus functionality.  I've read a report of a router with a Broadcom chipset running somewhere above 900 Mb/s with the acceleration enabled.  That was on a google fibre network connection.

I'm an Advisor

Datalink:

On my router, QoS is a sub-set of Traffic Manager. There is also a Traffic Monitor which provides statistics either in real time, for the last 24 hours, or daily. The daily one is really nice. I can compare it to what Rogers shows for my internet usage and they are always very close to each other.