CGN 3 wireless connection issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

CGN 3 wireless connection issues

Just came back from a Rogers store with my 2nd CGN modem and it did not fix my issue.  Here it is:

I have 2 laptops in  the house, each connecting wirelessly.  Out of the blue the internet connection stops working.  My phones and tablets still work, but the latops don't.  I can ping every other device from these laptops, but I cannot ping them.  If I do a factory reset on the modem, they work for a few days, then back to no connection.  An ethernet cable connection works just fine.  Tech support suggested a replacement, which did nothing.

Any ideas?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CGN 3 wireless connection issues

Could you post all the details of what you have set for your wireless connection?
(Security type, etc)
And is this on 2.4 or 5ghz?

I've Been Here Awhile

It happens on both frequencies.  The security is WPA/WPA2, encryptmode AES.  Default setting.

One thing that I've noticed is that both of the laptops have an Intel wi-fi card in them.  I have since joined a desktop and two other laptops to the network, which have other manufacturers' cards in them, and they work flawlessly.  Could there be some sort of conflict between the router and the Intel cards?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It seems that you are one of many people who are experiencing issues with Intel Wireless Cards in laptops.  Do a search for the following and have a look at some of the results that come up:

intel wireless card poor performance

If you determine what model of card you have for the laptops and read through some of the search results, the situation with your Intel Wireless cards might make a little more sense.

Among the many discussions on drivers for the card, here's an interesting link to a dell page:

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/bb/en/bbdhs1/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleIframeView?docid=533...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

make sure the drivers are up to date on those units.

Beyond that.. if you dont NEED specifically WPA for older devices.. try switching it over to WPA2 only.

Sometimes i have found, going MIXED MODES, can cause issues.
(I know, TKIP+AES can cause some havoc sometimes).