CBS SuperBowl on Rogers (American Commercials!!)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

CBS SuperBowl on Rogers (American Commercials!!)

I am only watching the super bowl for the amazing commericals they have. Companies pay millions to have them on. So I tune into CBS and it turns out that its just a copy of CTV feed and I only get toi see crappy canadian commericals like bell and toyota. I want to see all the great american commercials!! What a bunch of bull. thanks rogers . thx for not showing me the real cbs channel that i pay 80 bucks a month for.

**edited for content**

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CBS SuperBowl on Rogers (American Commercials!!)

Unfortunately Rogers has no control over that.

Ctv is owned by bell, so it would be their feed that is overwriting the commercials.

I've Been Here Awhile

oh okay

thanks for the info

darn you Bell!! lol

i saw a few of the commercial on youtube anyways...

**edited for content**

I'm an Advisor

I believe the issue originates with the CRTC regarding Canadian content rules. Canadian ads are always substituted on US channels if a Canadian channel is showing the same program at the same time. This has been the case for the last couple of decades, maybe more. It's not just happening during the Super Bowl.

I've Been Around

It is a CRTC rule,  but it works differently than most think.  Local stations can request cable companies to swap out US content.  The CRTC does not require the cable company to grant the request. Rogers swaps out US content because they receive payment from local stations.  Plain and simple.

In the end, it is Rogers who is deciding to make us endure local provider commericals.  

Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

@Gr8Viewer wrote:

It is a CRTC rule,  but it works differently than most think.  Local stations can request cable companies to swap out US content.  The CRTC does not require the cable company to grant the request. Rogers swaps out US content because they receive payment from local stations.  Plain and simple.

In the end, it is Rogers who is deciding to make us endure local provider commericals.  

Incorrect. ROGERS is required by law to grant the request when it is received.

As a side note, the CRTC has decided to end signal substitution during the Super Bowl starting in 2017.

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Hello Community! 

Canadians will be able to watch Super Bowl ads on American channels soon as Super Bowl 2017. For now, you can watch American Super Bowl ads on Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/adblitz.

More detailed information regarding Signal Substitution can be found in the two links provided below. 

1. Link 1

2. Link 2

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

I Plan to Stick Around

Well today some genius decided to cut from the Alabama vs. Ole Miss football game on CBS to show Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy that was on YES tv.

At least they cut back after 35 minutes, I tried to call but the lines were jammed both on chat and on the phone.  They really need to stop doing this.  If I wanted to watch Wheel of Fortune, I would have switched to YES tv on channel 9.

Not sure which genius was responsible for this, but how about never doing this again during live sporting events?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, thats not really a ROGERS issue.

Its CBS that handles the feed, rogers just re-broadcasting it.

It would have been CBS which cut over the feed.

I Plan to Stick Around

So if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying CBS cut away from a Live college football game to show a Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy on a Canadian station?

Unless you show me proof of your claim, I'm inclined to disagree. 

Hopefully for Roger's sake, the CRTC feels the same way you do.