Buying iPhone without contract

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Buying iPhone without contract

If I buy an iPhone from Rogers without a contract (paying full price for the phone) is it still locked? 

Are there any advantages to buying from Rogers instead of from Apple if I'm not interested in a contract?

I guess I'd need to buy a SIM card from Rogers if I got the phone from Apple, but that would only be $10 or so?

****Edited Labels****

Solved! Go to Solution.
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Buying iPhone without contract

Phone is locked when bought from carriers.

If Roger is unlocking Iphone 5's you will need to prove paid in full and then pay then another $50 over the phone not in store to get unlocked.
I Plan to Stick Around

if buying the phone outright, step right through the doors of the apple store, not rogers.

yes, nano sim costs $10.
I Plan to Stick Around

@wingman:

That was my plan until I found out Apple will not be selling unlocked phones at their retail stores.
I'm Here A Lot

Without a contract, would Rogers be likely to offer any warranty or product replacement if the phone has issues?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@stanfields wrote:

Without a contract, would Rogers be likely to offer any warranty or product replacement if the phone has issues?

IF you bought the phone from rogers, but no contract, than yes they would likely deal with the manufacturers warranty for you as the middle man, etc... just as a contract phone.
After the 1 year waranty is up, regardless of which way you did it, you would be paying for repair, etc at that point.

An unlocked phone bought elsewhere, etc.. no they would likely not do anything with.