Buying a new phone and plan. HELP!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaySD
I've Been Here Awhile

Buying a new phone and plan. HELP!

I'm planning on buying a new phone along with a new 3-year contract. But if my account is under my dad's name, will I be able to purchase the new phone and plan by myself? Or does it have to be the account holder (my dad) to purchase it? Even though its under his name, its basically MY account. I pay for it and everything, he has nothing to do with it except for that it is under his name

****Edited Labels****

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Buying a new phone and plan. HELP!

Regardless of WHO pays for it, because its in your fathers name... he will have to be the one responsible for it.

IE.. if anything DID go wrong, the payments stoped being paid, etc.. its HIM who would be responsible for the payments, him who collections would go after, him whos credit rating would be effected.

So.. you have a few options.

You could get a transfer of ownership done.. have it fully into your name, etc. 

Other option, which MIGHT work, would be for him to put you as a LEVEL 1 person on the account.  I beleive this should allow you to get new hardware, etc that way on the account.  Only thing a level 1 cant do, in my understanding, is cancel a service.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Buying a new phone and plan. HELP!

Regardless of WHO pays for it, because its in your fathers name... he will have to be the one responsible for it.

IE.. if anything DID go wrong, the payments stoped being paid, etc.. its HIM who would be responsible for the payments, him who collections would go after, him whos credit rating would be effected.

So.. you have a few options.

You could get a transfer of ownership done.. have it fully into your name, etc. 

Other option, which MIGHT work, would be for him to put you as a LEVEL 1 person on the account.  I beleive this should allow you to get new hardware, etc that way on the account.  Only thing a level 1 cant do, in my understanding, is cancel a service.

View solution in original post