cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying Unlocked Samsung Captive Glide from ebay. Will it work on Rogers?

mwake
I Plan to Stick Around

I love physical slider Qwerty keyboard phones.  I currently have the Sony Erricsson Xperia Pro, it is a great phone but flawed as it is underpowered memory and processor wise.  There dont seem to be many companies releasing more powerful qwerty slider phones these days in Canada (or elsewhere!).

SO after a bit of research I have stumbled on the Samsung Captivate Glide.  I bleieve rogers used to sell the Samsung Captivate (which i think is slightly different) so I hoping that this phone should work too.

Can anybody confirm that the Samsung Captivate Glide I927 will work on Rogers?

I would be very gratefull to hear if any body has good knowledge of its positive usability on the Rogers network.

Many thanks 🙂

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buying Unlocked Samsung Captive Glide from ebay. Will it work on Rogers?

clockwork58
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi mwake,

I got the glide when Rogers released it back in Nov 2011 as I was still wanting to use a qwerty keyboard.

The phone itself does have power and speed as it has a Tegra 2 processor, but be warned. The battery does go fast on it if you have the screen on too long.  

I had GB on it and put a ICS ROM on it and now it runs Cyangen Mod JellyBean which my wife uses now as her "Travel to the USA roaming" phone as she has a Q10 [another person who refuses to ditch the keyboard]

I work with many smartphones at my work, and over time you eventually learn to type on the screen and forgo the qwerty keyboard.  I have a Nexus 4 and the latest google keyboard is uber awesome. I'm typing faster on that then on my old glide's keyboard.

In short, the glide is powerful, but the battery life will make you hate you go from 100 to 20% from 8am to 2pm with moderate use. [and i tried all the tricks, such as manual syncing, dim the screen, etc...)

and yes it will work on Rogers if it is carrier unlocked. [Only costs like $10 to do on a few sites]. the American Carrier version and the Rogers version are virtually identical.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

AnonymousUser
I'm a Senior Contributor

Rogers launched the Galaxy Glide a while back, same phone as the Captivate Glide, and a big turd that you should stay away from.

I honestly suggest you find a non physical keyboard Android and get that because there aren't any good Androids with physical keyboards out there.  Just get yourself Swiftkey and use it for a while, you'll never miss the physical keyboard again.

mwake
I Plan to Stick Around

Intresting that you say that 

AnonymousUser
I'm a Senior Contributor

Well, it just is really dated by today's standards, the Rogers version never went passed Gingerbread.  That's not an issue if you root and replace the ROM yourself, or pick up the AT&T version as I believe that got ICS.

Have you ever tried Swiftkey?  It's really a great touch screen keyboard and you can get incredibly fast and quite accurate with it after using it for some time.

mwake
I Plan to Stick Around
I didnt know that, thanks, well, my partner has an Samsung s3 and I'm not so fussed with the lastest operating sytem. My XPERIA Pro uses gingerbreasd 2.3.4 and does everything I need it to do really. What bugs me about my phone is that Sony only have about 320mb of RAM on the Xperia Pro, which means that one or two "chunky' apps can bring my phone to a stand still....The Samsung captivate has three times the RAM and has a dual core processor as opposed to the single core one on the Xperia Pro...thanks for your input though...

To be honest I would like the Motorola Photton Q LTE phone which I've seen but I'm nervous that this phone would not work on Rogers network and the price is muh more thaan the captivate glide...

as for swiftkey, I just cant appreciate touch keys...my xperia pro has touch keys too! But I find the keyboard is much more accurate than the touch scrren keyboarrd...

again thanks for your input I really appreciate the feedback

clockwork58
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi mwake,

I got the glide when Rogers released it back in Nov 2011 as I was still wanting to use a qwerty keyboard.

The phone itself does have power and speed as it has a Tegra 2 processor, but be warned. The battery does go fast on it if you have the screen on too long.  

I had GB on it and put a ICS ROM on it and now it runs Cyangen Mod JellyBean which my wife uses now as her "Travel to the USA roaming" phone as she has a Q10 [another person who refuses to ditch the keyboard]

I work with many smartphones at my work, and over time you eventually learn to type on the screen and forgo the qwerty keyboard.  I have a Nexus 4 and the latest google keyboard is uber awesome. I'm typing faster on that then on my old glide's keyboard.

In short, the glide is powerful, but the battery life will make you hate you go from 100 to 20% from 8am to 2pm with moderate use. [and i tried all the tricks, such as manual syncing, dim the screen, etc...)

and yes it will work on Rogers if it is carrier unlocked. [Only costs like $10 to do on a few sites]. the American Carrier version and the Rogers version are virtually identical.

View solution in original post

mwake
I Plan to Stick Around

thnaks 

lewolskiman
I've Been Here Awhile

I have another option here for $30 u can buy a case for the galaxy s3 that is a sliding keyboard witch syncs through blutooth  I have it and it's my best investment 

click this to see the case

clockwork58
I Plan to Stick Around

no worries mwake.

I also forgot to mention that Google dropped support for Tegra 2 in OS 4.2 which means you have to d/l custom app packages from the interweb for it to work.

More info on XDA if you google "non neon gapps"