Buy or Rent PVR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Buy or Rent PVR

I have been renting a PVR from Rogers for a couple of years now.  Would I be better off buying it out right?  If I do will I have to pay full price or will I get a discount on it because of the rent I have paid?  Thx.

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Buy or Rent PVR

Lets lay it out for you 🙂

BUY: 
Costs around $500+ for it.  Possibly a BIG cunck of money at one time, if you cant afford it. 

But its yours 100%, can sell it, etc.
Has a 2 year warranty.

Rent to Own:
Costs around $15-17 a month (depending on model), over 36 months.
By the time the 36 months rolls around, you have maybe payed an extra $100 for the unit vs buying..
BUT.. the difference is, durring that 3 year period, its a full SWAP the unit at a store warranty... vs buying is a send off warranty.

Rental:

Costs around $25 a month...
Pretty much just a swap warranty whenever needed.

TRUTHFULLY?  Straight out renal is pointless anymore.   Rent to own or buy, are the only real ones worth choosing.
You technically spend a little moreont he rent to own.. but get MORE coverage.. and helps spread the cost out.

View solution in original post

All Replies
I'm a Senior Advisor

You will have to pay full price.

I have one bought and one rented.. The nice part of the rental is when it breaks I can just exchange it. My bought one doesn't record cleanly anymore (pixelated/glitchy and such) and sadly I can't just swap it.

You can always try calling rogers and asking them if they will give you money towards buying one or something like that..
I Plan to Stick Around

RE: Buy or Rent PVR

What's the best option buy, rent or rent to own? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Lets lay it out for you 🙂

BUY: 
Costs around $500+ for it.  Possibly a BIG cunck of money at one time, if you cant afford it. 

But its yours 100%, can sell it, etc.
Has a 2 year warranty.

Rent to Own:
Costs around $15-17 a month (depending on model), over 36 months.
By the time the 36 months rolls around, you have maybe payed an extra $100 for the unit vs buying..
BUT.. the difference is, durring that 3 year period, its a full SWAP the unit at a store warranty... vs buying is a send off warranty.

Rental:

Costs around $25 a month...
Pretty much just a swap warranty whenever needed.

TRUTHFULLY?  Straight out renal is pointless anymore.   Rent to own or buy, are the only real ones worth choosing.
You technically spend a little moreont he rent to own.. but get MORE coverage.. and helps spread the cost out.

View solution in original post

I've Been Here Awhile

If you choose rent-to-own, read the fine print: it's not yours automatically. You have to notify them that you are buying it out for $1 after the 36th month. Otherwise they keep charging rent: "After 36 consecutive rental payments without default, opt to own for $1 by notifying Rogers within 30 days after 36th payment. If you do not opt to own, monthly then-current regular rental rate will apply. Title/ownership to equipment remains with Rogers unless option is exercised. No upfront payment required."
I've Been Around

I couldn't find this in the fine print, or in any of their terms and conditions documents. 

If choosing the rent-to-own option, is there a penalty for terminating the contract early? (i.e. not completing the 36-month payment period). I assume there is some clause but I can't find it. Perhaps you have to pay the remaining monthly balances.

Is anyone aware of this or where I can find the information? 

Thanks. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That i have ever been able to find.. and i have looked through quite a number of the legal stuff (ToS, contracts, etc). have not found anything that says one would have to.

There are a number of people who have come through here, and who have left rogers.. who did have it.. and have not come back to say anything to the extent that they were charged.

There are no contracts/penalties, with signing up, even with bundled prices, etc... so there SHOULDNT be.

Really, rent to own, is the newer better option.  Cheaper in the long run over the 36 months vs straight rental.. you own it afterwards..

3 years warranty then over the timeframe, vs 2 on a purchase outright (though infiniate on straight rental)

I've Been Here Awhile

Is it better to rent a pvr or buy one from rogers

I've Been Around

what does it cost per month?

Hi @wilf24,

Welcome to the Community!

You can view the purchase and rental pricing of our TV equipment here.

Hope that helps:)

RogersZia