Buy a new non-rogers cable modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Buy a new non-rogers cable modem

Oh I know there is no TECHNICAL reason to need the d3

BUT this is what Rogers has descided to do for it. They can't change it in the system otherwise.

And yes, there is more than one express plan. You currently are on a grandfathered express plan, that was with the d2s. Any NEW customer can not get them anymore, therefore would be the new modem, new plan automatically.

This is the same like the cells. None of the plans right now are the one I'm on, how? It's a grandfathered plan from prior.

flintery
I'm Here A Lot

just one more thing :

what  D3  modems is rogers using and where can i buy them cheeper then rogers could you name some so i can look for them on ebay!

thank you again for your information

fred 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are only the modem/gateways tht Rogers uses.

Smcd3gn
Cisco 3825
Not sure on the Hitron model number.

I have seen them around for purchase for around 99 compared to 150 from Rogers.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

flintery wrote:

what  D3  modems is rogers using and where can i buy them cheeper then rogers could you name some so i can look for them on ebay!

You do have to be very careful buying any Rogers equipment on eBay or other sites. If the serial number is not in the Rogers database, they will not activate it even though it is on their approved list. Also, the previous owner must be sure to have it deactivated from their account. So be sure to check with Rogers that you will be able to have it provisioned on your account before forking over the cash!

hobbs2969
I've Been Around

I just bought a Scientific Atlanta Webstar DPC2100 series cable modem on Amazon which appeared to be identical to the modem from Rogers that I had been renting for the last few years.  When I contacted customer service at Rogers to connect that newly purchased modem, the tech person could not get the serial number to come up as compatible with Rogers. They advised me to take it to my local Rogers store and have them scan the bar code into their computer.  The salesperson at my local store worked for five minutes and could not get it to scan in.  Just be careful if you buy on Ebay or Amazon. Modems that look identical to Rogers modems may not be compatible with the Rogers system. 

mAXIOM
I've Been Around

Services provided by a cable company are sent out to equipment that is registered in their inventory. In order for a cable modem to connect to the system, a modem or set-top box has to be added to that inventory (say as a customer  owned equipment). The Cable provider I used to work for had the ability to do this with High Speed Internet Supervisor approval.

Once the MODEM is added to inventory it can then be provisioned.

I, knowing all this and having called them beforehand to see if it was viable have gone ahead and purchased a Cisco DCP3825 (same model as I am presently using from ROGERS now) from EBAY.

I have called ROGERS to have it added, two separate call as one terminated do to an unsucessful transfer, and once I did get to Internet Tech Support he tried to add but the same as above he could not pull up the serial number. He tried to make a work order to have it added but was not able and asked that I call back during the day shift as more departments are open at that time.

I have found a cable company that also supports this modem in my area and if Rogers can not add it I guess I will be forced to switch providers. You would think ROGERS would understand those of us users that are tech savy enough to support ourselves

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Adding to that inventory.. seems to be the issue most of the time 😞

From what i have seen, the system even seems limited in WHAT S/N can be added.

It wasnt in this thread.. it was in another i beleive.. but i cant seem to find it.. there were 1-2 people who WERE able to get one provisioned.. but sort of had to twist a bit to get it to work.

Say the SN by default was CEG-120303-234

The rogers SNs all were more of ROG-120303-234

They had the person enter in the SN in the begining format of the rogers ones, and it seemed to take it and they got it going. 
Mind you, this was well over a year ago, and may not work now, etc.

tremaine
I've Been Here Awhile

unfortunately I bought one and the SMC is not now supported!!!

tremaine
I've Been Here Awhile

Bought  Rogers (used) Smcd3gn and got stopped when adding to Rogers.  They insisted that it was Teksavvy, though it was not and was used on Rogers for a year before switching.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That is the SMC that i currently have.

Its usable on the network without an issue.. that i know.

They may have locked ADDING it now.. only grandfathering?

Have you tried calling back and talking to a different person? Its not unheard of that techs have the WRONG info..