Buy a new non-rogers cable modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnSmith798
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Buy a new non-rogers cable modem

Do not buy the modem, because you'll feel obligate to stay with Rogers for 2-3 years to get your investment worth. 

compuaid
I've Been Here Awhile

Jeng,

What you need is a  wireless bridge.  This device will connect to your wireless modem downstairs and extend your signal upstairs.  You could place it in a location that has a fairly good signal upstairs.  If you're not as you say technically proficient you may need to enlist the help of someone so set up the bridge but once you've done so you'll have wireless throughout the house both upstairs and down without paying Rogers another dime.  Check out the Linksys WET610N or WES610N.  Another option would be to use a powerline adapter such as the Trendnet TPL-303EK.  With this option you just plug one device into an outlet near your modem downstairs and connect the ethernet cable and then plug the other one into an outlet upstairs by your computer and connect the ethernet cable to it.  This will give you a wired connection to your computer upstairs as if you had the modem there. 

franknguyen1666
I've Been Here Awhile

hi guy, the fist time im in here, and i dont know a lot about tech and my eng very bad, so please help me. i have one store and in my store i put up cable internet from Rogers, they give me modem Cisco DPC3825. before i live another place and use internet of Bell at home, modem 2wire 2710HG-G. and now im moving in upstair my store, i see in the room of upstair have cable and when i try hook up my modem Cisco, its working. so now i need your help

if i buy another cable modem and use both, modem Cisco 3825 in dowstair, another modem in upstair, is it work for both? i dont know anything about cablle in upstair cause before another lady live in there, i just move in and see it and try hook up my modem only. and if it work, where i can buy another cable modem like Cisco 3825? i call Rogers and they tool they dont sale it, just rental, and i need pay over $40/month for the second modem. i found internet but some guy just sale modem which not build in wireless

i try buy Dlink router wireless DIR815 but still can not get wireless in upstair, very poor, i cant use powerline cause it seperate line electric

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No you can just not add a 2nd modem upstairs.

Every other modem, requires a seperate internet plan.

Your best bet if you can, is run a network cable from the modem/router downstairs, up to the upper appartment somehow.. then put another router up there (with DHCP off) as another wireless access point.
Or buy a repeater, and repeat the signal from downstairs.

franknguyen1666
I've Been Here Awhile

uhm.. i dont understand something. for example, im move in new apparment, and it have cable already (maybe from someone live in there before), and i have one cable modem from my old place. so when i hook up my modem with cable wall so, what is mean a seperate internet plan? they will control my internet plan from my old place through my modem or the internet plan in new room. something like we can use free internet from new room although my internet plan is unlimited

and another thing, you guy thing D-Link DIR 815 better, or Linsys E1200?

and how i config my CIsco 3825 to modem only mode? i chatted with the guy from Rogers and he told me to do like that when i connect my router wireless, i didnt know and he did for me, but i want to know how to do it cause i dont want when i want change something i need their help. before i type 192.168.0.1 go to set up my modem but now it not work anymore

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For ANY modem to work.. it need to have a PLAN and account associated with it.. and the cable it connects to.

I could not unplug mine and take it to your house and connect it and have it work.

If that house has a line, but no modem account set up on it, it would need one set up, to use a modem on it.  You wouldnt have to BUY/RENT the modem, but have to pay the monthly internet fee for that.

You can not have multiple modems on one plan (compared to  your TV, which you can).

franknguyen1666
I've Been Here Awhile

ya, i know, thats why i dont understand when i hook up my modem go cable in upstrair, its work. cause we separate, everything,

electric, water, cable tv, internet, door, everything is separate. you know i mean? sorry, my english very bad so sometime i cant explain for you. Downstrair and upstrair separate everything, like 2 apparment in one building

example, i live in App 1 and App 2 have another guy have cable too ( i know it not mine cause i put up after him), so when i move go app 1, i bring my modem hook up and its work, so thats why i dont understand. sorry if lose your time

cause now my problem, my modem Cisco in upstair, the payment machine in here too

and i live in upstair, and cannot get wireless form Cisco, so i buy Dlink 815, and i hook up with Cisco, some guy from Rogers get my modem go modem mode only, so i can use Dlink in upstair, of couse wireless too. but now i have problem cause my payment machine work thought internet, before, it connect with one port in back of modem Cisco, and my customer cannot use wireless too. have any way i can get wireless in my store and upstair? i cannot put router wireless in between cause 2 room separate, use separate door to come in

flintery
I'm Here A Lot

hi

went to the store and they told me "its not in ouer database " maby a month later i called the sevice department and the sevice guy was vety helpfull and he addet the numbers to it then i went to the rogers stor and took the rental back and addet MY 5100 to my account with no problem , only on modems roger is using . well now i have a different problem rogers incresed the the limit from 60 to 80 for express so i called rogers again to put me on the 80 gig can not be dun ,i said just change the numbers from 60 to 80 whats the big deal ? rogers wants me to rent a new modem doc 3 just to change the 60-80 gb limits???????

if you go over in a month you have to pay 2.00 a GB SO IT CAN BE DUN to go over so whats up with that ?????

very confusing ??? JUST CHANGE THE NUMBER FROM 60 TO 80 GB so i dont have to pay if i go over 60

i dont need the extra speed what the new moden gives me ,..!!

flintery

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While people will agree with you, there is no technical limitation as to why you couldn't have a higher cap, on your modem.

The only way to get that cap, is with a plan that has it (say express, has an a and b plan, with the two caps). To get that b plan, they can not put it on the account without the d3 gateways on there. I have had people on phone and store level try, the system is set up so they can't.

flintery
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Buy a new non-Rogers cable modem

hi there

thank you for your reply

just one comment ,if i go over the limit, Rogers charge me 2.00 a GB  they can change the limit to 80 without charging me between 60 and 80 it has absolutly NOTHING todo with the 3D modem ,well i do not even come close to 60 gb i am around 40 ,

and there is only ONE express witch the limit is 80, go and figer this one out ,i still  have no sensible exploration from Rogers WHY, the whole thing does not make sense ,its not the speed ,ITS JUST A LIMIT ,on the dsl i hade befor Rogers there was NO limit ,i realy would like to get a sensible exploration from rogers what makes sense.

maby should look into bell fibre to see how they are handeling the internet and tv ,i bet it would be cheeper to  then 48.99

fred