cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy a new non-rogers cable modem

SuperJJ
I've Been Here Awhile

Currently I am renting a Motorola SURFboard (SB5120) Modem from Rogers, Can I buy a same model or (SB5100 or SB5101 ) from outside and replace the rental> Do I need to get it activate from Rogers?

***edited labels***

99 REPLIES 99

Re: Buy a new non-rogers cable modem

gainswell
I've Been Around

A few years ago I bought a BRAND NEW Toshiba PCX2600 modem since Rogers refused to give me one in exchange for their PCX2500 I had been using.  I called Rogers Business Office and gave them the MAC ID and S/N of my PCX2600 and after they entered these into their system I was told to have it activated (programmed) at one of the Rogers local stores.

To my surprise, as soon as he tried to program it they Rogers store guy said it was listed as one of Rogers' modems (since the MAC ID and S/N were now on the system).  I tried to explain that these were entered only less than 1/2 hour before, and Rogers never had these data prior to my giving them over the phone to the Business Office.  The store guy understood but said he could not change the status and the Business Office would have to do that.  They refused to let me use their phone to call direct from the Store to the Bus. Office. 

So I called the B.O. from home and reported the issue.  The guy said it had now been fixed and I should return to the Local Store to get the programming done.  But... the same thing happened! 

I got so pissed off I gave up and cancelled my changing the modem and stayed with the PCX2500 provided by Rogers.

This was so incredibly ridiculous.  I had paid $100 for the brand new PCX2600 (still sealed in the factory original packaging)

and brought it from the States.  And now after I gave them the MAC ID and S/N Rogers claim it was theirs - they should have said that as soon as  I gave them the MAC and S/N (if that were true)!

It is like you told them your address and they claim that house is theirs, or.... you told them your wife's name and they said she's married to them!

This was a shame for a hi-tech outfit like Rogers - but it is a true story.   I still remember the name of the guy at the Rogers

Bridlewood Mall store (that was before they moved inside the mall).

So beware lest this should happen to you.

did you still have the original receipt that showed you paid for it? Even though they claim its theirs you should still have continued to use it. I dont see how they can do anything, you have a receipt, so if they want it back, just FAX them a receipt showing you paid for it, they should then back off.

I never pay for a modem or anything unless I get a receipt claiming I purchased it.

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

***Update****

Hi community, I want to update this Thread.

At this time we can only activate Rogers approved equipment from a Rogers Retail location.

To find the Rogers location closest to you follow this link: http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=store_locator&customer_type=Residentia...

Thanks, RogersDarrell

Firstly, RoD gets movies BEFORE netflix does.. so thats part of it.   5.99 is on par, or LESS than renting a new movie from the store.. so its actualy just about right on the nose.

While its nice to use your own hardware.. i completely understand rogers want to have to use their listed products.. not to charge extra (though they may be more pricy).. but from a standards standpoint.
They know X, Y and Z work with the system.. you can train your people on them, you can make sure they are all on the same firmware revision, etc.

YOu start letting too much external stuff in.. the service gets worse.. as they have more problems troubleshooting stuff.

As for the HDMI cables.. before you rag on rogers for their overpriced ones.. check out the moster cables at bestbuy 😛

Also.. 6 month old post.. info MAY be out of date in the thread, may have changed by now.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

What would be nice though, especially with respect to cable modems would be a Rogers approved stand alone D3 modem. The current gateway modems, especially the SMC, are garbage. Customers are paying more for these because they function as both a modem and a router. However, in many cases, the router does not function properly so customers are forced to have these cr*ap gateways put into bridge mode and then provide their own router. This goes against all common sense, so come on Rogers - give people what they want - a stand alone D3 modem!

The D3 works perfectly fine as a wired router itself.. i have 3 wired PC's, 1 network printer, 1 xbox, 1 DVD player, and a TV all connected to it, with no issues..  port forwarding, etc set up fine.  Only downside is that the wireless blows on it... which yes, requires a seperate router.

Other than for the wireless, there is no need for a router with it.. and even then, there is no need to put it into bridged mode at all to get the seperate router to work with it for the wireless.

If someone wated wireless, with a seperate stand alone D3 modem, they would have to get a seperate router anyways.

nIzo
I've Been Here Awhile

I say pay the rent and if it goes caboom on you, they replace it for ya 😃 no matter how cheap it is.. I looked at it in everyway.

I think I pay $84 for renting mine A YEAR. and without worrying about the hassle of calling them to approve it or set it up and blah blah...

it breaks, I take it to any rogers store, they give me a new one. done.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

Only downside is that the wireless blows on it... which yes, requires a seperate router.

You are not getting it Gdkitty! What other business can sell a product that only half works and get away with it? Rogers rental fee for a stand alone modem is $4 per month compared to the $7 per month they are charging for a modem/router combo. In other words, they are charging $3 a month extra for the router which does not work. How can you support Rogers on this issue?

So..................if you have to provide your own router why can Rogers not have a stand alone D3 modem? If the gateways worked the way they are supposed to I would have no issues. For some reason though, neither the SMC nor the CISCO are functioning the way they are supposed to, yet Rogers insists that these are the only modems supported and steadfastly refuses to provide something better - either a gateway that works (as both a modem AND a router) or a stand alone D3 modem!

It doesnt half work... it 100% works... it just doesnt do its stuff AS WELL as other ones.  The ROUTER part works fine on it (the router part, is really only the DHCP, port forwarding, etc).  The wireless.. is a little lack luster.. but for average joe connecting one laptop wireless to it to surf facebook, its fine.

That doesnt mean it doesnt work.. and that doesnt mean that it wont work for the average user.. with is probably over 90% of their customers.

Since its an 'enhanced' modem built into it anyways.. they would likely charge the same $7 a month for a stand alone anways.

In the end.. regardless.. this is not the place that will make the decision.. the few rogers reps on here, are for support, they are not the decision makers.  If this is something you so highly beleive it, it needs to be sent to a department that does make the decisions so it can be considered.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

The main reason people need a router is for a wireless connection. For customers with one computer, a stand alone D3 modem is all that they need!  If you have to go out and purchase another router to go along with your gateway modem, that defeats the purpose of the gateway. Granted, the CISCO does work better than the piece of junk SMC, but that still does not excuse Rogers for selling or renting a product that does not perform up to standards and you have at least admitted that the wireless is a "little lack luster" - therefore it does not work 100%! You may be be correct on one point though - that Rogers might charge just as much for a stand alone D3 as they do for a gateway.

It's not a perfect solution, but call the customer retention group and tell them you're not happy with the whole Router/Modem option theiy're offering. I was able to get them to give me the modem rental at No Charge. Will be disabling the SMC router and will bridge the modem to my Airport Extreme router.

Actually, if I were you, I would trade in the SMC for the Cisco. I have already informed Rogers that I am not happy with the current modem options, but they remain adamant that the gateways are my only other option at this point. For now, I am sticking with my Motorola Surfboard modem. 

When I went in to pick it up, they gave me the Cisco modem.

Does anyone know the specs on it and if the wi-fi is better than the SMC?

I do not have the Cisco, but based upon what I have read in various forums, the Cisco is a huge improvement over the SMC.  But many posters report that even with the Cisco, they are having it placed into bridge mode and still using their own routers! 

The wireless on the Cisco, is much better than the SMC.

BUT.

As IHR said.. COMPARED to a 3rd party linksys or Dlink, it is not as good.

(you also DONT have to put it in bridged mode either, you can let the cisco handle DHCP, and turn off DHCP on the other router and let it just handle wireless)

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

(you also DONT have to put it in bridged mode either, you can let the cisco handle DHCP, and turn off DHCP on the other router and let it just handle wireless)

Good to know if I ever get one myself! Thanks for pointing that out!

EddieDZ
I Plan to Stick Around

One thing to keep in mind on the Cisco D3 modem, make sure you enable 40mhz on the wireless settings part and assign a manual channel, do not leave it on auto. by default the wireless of the Cisco D3 modem only broadcasts wifi at 20mhz on one channel and its set to auto, what that means is that it will automatically change channels whenever and may even put you on a worst channel, plus you may experience a pause in connection when its changing channels.

EXTREME PLUS Internet is extremely slow...

Oldforestroad
I've Been Around

We just upgraded (lol) our internet service to EXTREME PLUS!!! it's nice to be able to download more GB on this package but our average download speed is between 1.65 and 3.97 mbps...a far cry from the 32mbps advertised.  I have heard that some of Rogers' nodes are over-populated which is why the speeds are slow.  Has anyone experienced improvements with replacing their modem?  When we "upgraded" (lol) we were given a new router/modem.  We disabled the gateway functions and just use it as a modem since we have our own routers.

With their misleading ads, draconian contracts and poor customer service Rogers really is the most frustrating company I have ever, ever dealt with.  Maybe its time to switch to the only other competition (price-fixing colleague) Bell-Aliant.

Re: Buy a new non-rogers cable modem; a little knowledge.....

@Gdkitty:

you wrote: "....you can let the cisco handle DHCP, and turn off DHCP on the other router and let it just handle wireless....".

But please, don't forget, that your prescription above is not the whole story on how to instal an outboard router.

Rogers customers who would like to do that also need to know how to interconnect the cables between the Rogers device and the outboard router, how you handle the IP addressing issues/conflicts  between the two devices, and the order in which those steps need to be performed to achieve success.

And you need to remember too that Rogers support, frustrating as they are to deal with, do not normally support the technical issues that arise when implementing and operating the proposed outboard router either.  Most likely, we will need to do that here, assuming that people actually know how to identify technical problems, and formulate a written description of them, and put it into this Forum.

For us to assist, a posting here that states "Please help.  It doesn't work.  I don't know why." makes it impossible for us to divine the problem, suggest further troubleshooting actions, or propose actual solutions.

Judging from your other postings in this Forum (which I praise for their technical insight and completeness) you are yourself technically proficient, and fully capable of handling what you suggest.  But I know from personal experience that many, if not most Rogers customers are not at that level of technical competency.  So, we will need to be prepared to help a lot of Rogers customers here in this Forum if we propose solutions such as you have put in your posting.

I have no problem with that.

As a pre-emptive action, we may need to write up and post more detailed descriptions of how to implement the technical solutions we propose.

We owe that to those who read our postings, for whom "...a little knowledge..." would be dangerous.

skinorth

Re: Buy a new non-rogers cable modem; a little knowledge.....

Oh, i totaly agree Skinorth.

I was just stating that as a general statement on that post.. for the sake of the argument going on at the time.. rather than the WHOLE detailed information.

I have, in at least 2 other posts.. gone over the whole setup instructions for people, which ports the cables need to go into, settings on one, the other, etc... I just didnt on that specific post 😛 Was also on my phone at the time, which writing that 'novel' of information is easier said than done. 

Though yes, next time, i will at least put a 'warning' saying that there is more to it, and to contact me if they want more info on how to go about it.

Im wondering... how we go about asking for a thread to be stickied?  might be worth writing a little guide on it for people.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Can you please edit your posts next time instead of posting 3 times? Your last post is the same post as your first one...