cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy a new non-rogers cable modem

SuperJJ
I've Been Here Awhile

Currently I am renting a Motorola SURFboard (SB5120) Modem from Rogers, Can I buy a same model or (SB5100 or SB5101 ) from outside and replace the rental> Do I need to get it activate from Rogers?

***edited labels***

99 REPLIES 99

Re: Buy a new non-rogers cable modem

hobbs2969
I've Been Around

I just bought a Scientific Atlanta Webstar DPC2100 series cable modem on Amazon which appeared to be identical to the modem from Rogers that I had been renting for the last few years.  When I contacted customer service at Rogers to connect that newly purchased modem, the tech person could not get the serial number to come up as compatible with Rogers. They advised me to take it to my local Rogers store and have them scan the bar code into their computer.  The salesperson at my local store worked for five minutes and could not get it to scan in.  Just be careful if you buy on Ebay or Amazon. Modems that look identical to Rogers modems may not be compatible with the Rogers system. 

mAXIOM
I've Been Around

Services provided by a cable company are sent out to equipment that is registered in their inventory. In order for a cable modem to connect to the system, a modem or set-top box has to be added to that inventory (say as a customer  owned equipment). The Cable provider I used to work for had the ability to do this with High Speed Internet Supervisor approval.

Once the MODEM is added to inventory it can then be provisioned.

I, knowing all this and having called them beforehand to see if it was viable have gone ahead and purchased a Cisco DCP3825 (same model as I am presently using from ROGERS now) from EBAY.

I have called ROGERS to have it added, two separate call as one terminated do to an unsucessful transfer, and once I did get to Internet Tech Support he tried to add but the same as above he could not pull up the serial number. He tried to make a work order to have it added but was not able and asked that I call back during the day shift as more departments are open at that time.

I have found a cable company that also supports this modem in my area and if Rogers can not add it I guess I will be forced to switch providers. You would think ROGERS would understand those of us users that are tech savy enough to support ourselves

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Adding to that inventory.. seems to be the issue most of the time 😞

From what i have seen, the system even seems limited in WHAT S/N can be added.

It wasnt in this thread.. it was in another i beleive.. but i cant seem to find it.. there were 1-2 people who WERE able to get one provisioned.. but sort of had to twist a bit to get it to work.

Say the SN by default was CEG-120303-234

The rogers SNs all were more of ROG-120303-234

They had the person enter in the SN in the begining format of the rogers ones, and it seemed to take it and they got it going. 
Mind you, this was well over a year ago, and may not work now, etc.

tremaine
I've Been Here Awhile

unfortunately I bought one and the SMC is not now supported!!!

tremaine
I've Been Here Awhile

Bought  Rogers (used) Smcd3gn and got stopped when adding to Rogers.  They insisted that it was Teksavvy, though it was not and was used on Rogers for a year before switching.

That is the SMC that i currently have.

Its usable on the network without an issue.. that i know.

They may have locked ADDING it now.. only grandfathering?

Have you tried calling back and talking to a different person? Its not unheard of that techs have the WRONG info..

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor

When I was echanging CGN3 for DPC3825 recently I was told that both DPC3825 and SMCD3GN are still currently supported and could be ordered to any Rogers store.

P.S. However SMCD3GN does not give you access to the most up-to-date plans. I was told SMCD3GN could only be paired with older plans.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am on a CURRENT plan, with the SMCD3GN. (current express @25/2.. and am able to get that regularily)

of all the devices.. it has the lowest downstream/upstream channels though.

its only 4/4,
Vs the cisco and the old hitron are 8/4, and the new hitron is 16/?.

It may limit the PLANS in the long run allowed to be connected.  The Ultimate internet, cant be applied to the SMC i beleive, things like that.

So depends on what package you were on/wanted.

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor

And to bring the conversation back to the topic I recently noticed that TekSavvy updated their list os approved modems, which now include both Motorola 6141 and 6580. I have a temptation to try to activate one of those. The only catch is to try to find a modem manufactured for the canadian market. In this case it is theoretically possible to activate it as I was told before.

panneton
I've Been Here Awhile

This forum is correct - the wireless function on the Rogers cable modem/router is a piece of junk.  Why won't Rogers give their customers a badly needed option of a modem only?  When are they going to realise their modem/router is inadequate for some network systems?  Worse how can they offer these high speeds when their modem/router cannot support networks????

pravesh
I've Been Here Awhile

Motorola 16x4 High-Speed Cable Gateway with Wi-Fi, 686 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0 Modem, AC1900 Wi-Fi Gigabit Router and Power Boost

I would like to above mentioned modem router or any one which is able to support gigabit speed from rogers

netwrks
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers does not allow non-sanctioned modems on their network. (Think Hitron series - with another vendor device coming up in the future) Also it is only DOCSIS 3.0. Rogers is migrating to DOCSIS 3.1.

pravesh
I've Been Here Awhile

can I buy hitron CODA-4780 3.1 DOCSIS , and when are you migrating to 3.1 , keep me updated about it I want to buy my own modem as soon as possible

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@pravesh wrote:

can I buy hitron CODA-4780 3.1 DOCSIS , and when are you migrating to 3.1 , keep me updated about it I want to buy my own modem as soon as possible

Don't waste your money.  Rogers will not let you use your own modem with their internet plans.

User8338
I've Been Here Awhile
I think Rogers is saying now that you can't use your own modem. Is this true?
It may be a good idea to try Bell if this is the case.

Lurker_Returns
I Plan to Stick Around
Bell won't let you use your own modem either.