Buy a new non-rogers cable modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Buy a new non-rogers cable modem

When I was echanging CGN3 for DPC3825 recently I was told that both DPC3825 and SMCD3GN are still currently supported and could be ordered to any Rogers store.

P.S. However SMCD3GN does not give you access to the most up-to-date plans. I was told SMCD3GN could only be paired with older plans.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am on a CURRENT plan, with the SMCD3GN. (current express @25/2.. and am able to get that regularily)

of all the devices.. it has the lowest downstream/upstream channels though.

its only 4/4,
Vs the cisco and the old hitron are 8/4, and the new hitron is 16/?.

It may limit the PLANS in the long run allowed to be connected.  The Ultimate internet, cant be applied to the SMC i beleive, things like that.

So depends on what package you were on/wanted.

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor

And to bring the conversation back to the topic I recently noticed that TekSavvy updated their list os approved modems, which now include both Motorola 6141 and 6580. I have a temptation to try to activate one of those. The only catch is to try to find a modem manufactured for the canadian market. In this case it is theoretically possible to activate it as I was told before.

panneton
I've Been Here Awhile

This forum is correct - the wireless function on the Rogers cable modem/router is a piece of junk.  Why won't Rogers give their customers a badly needed option of a modem only?  When are they going to realise their modem/router is inadequate for some network systems?  Worse how can they offer these high speeds when their modem/router cannot support networks????

pravesh
I've Been Here Awhile

Motorola 16x4 High-Speed Cable Gateway with Wi-Fi, 686 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0 Modem, AC1900 Wi-Fi Gigabit Router and Power Boost

I would like to above mentioned modem router or any one which is able to support gigabit speed from rogers

netwrks
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers does not allow non-sanctioned modems on their network. (Think Hitron series - with another vendor device coming up in the future) Also it is only DOCSIS 3.0. Rogers is migrating to DOCSIS 3.1.

pravesh
I've Been Here Awhile

can I buy hitron CODA-4780 3.1 DOCSIS , and when are you migrating to 3.1 , keep me updated about it I want to buy my own modem as soon as possible

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@pravesh wrote:

can I buy hitron CODA-4780 3.1 DOCSIS , and when are you migrating to 3.1 , keep me updated about it I want to buy my own modem as soon as possible

Don't waste your money.  Rogers will not let you use your own modem with their internet plans.

User8338
I've Been Here Awhile

I think Rogers is saying now that you can't use your own modem. Is this true?
It may be a good idea to try Bell if this is the case.
Lurker_Returns
I Plan to Stick Around

Bell won't let you use your own modem either.