cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy a new non-rogers cable modem

SuperJJ
I've Been Here Awhile

Currently I am renting a Motorola SURFboard (SB5120) Modem from Rogers, Can I buy a same model or (SB5100 or SB5101 ) from outside and replace the rental> Do I need to get it activate from Rogers?

***edited labels***

99 REPLIES 99

Re: Buy a new non-rogers cable modem

kltt
I've Been Here Awhile

any updates?

RogersHemal
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

@community

We are able to add a 3rd party modem regardless of the origin of purchase.  Motorola SB5101 and SB5100 can all be added.  The Motorola 6120 DOCSIS3 is not a supported modem so we are not able to add this modem to any account.

Yes, we have already been told this - that Motorola SB5101 and SB5100 can all be added.  However, it does not change the fact that when people call in they are told by the CSR that it cannot be added. Are the CSRs now on board to add these without giving customers the same old song and dance that the modem is "not in our database" so we cannot add it?

Speaking of the Motorola 6120 DOCSIS3 modem, why is it not supported? Considering all of the problems caused by SMC modems, you would think that Rogers would support this one in order to create customer satisfaction!

Re: Buy a new non-Rogers cable modem

skutflut
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersHemal

Are you telling us the CSRs will now accept a  MAC address that the customer supplies  and will actually place that address in the database which will allow the customer to use the modem he purchased from a third party supplier?  

This is the exact point people have been complaining about.   In this forum,  you and other moderators say no problem to add a third party modem.   People follow your advise,  buy a modem,  and CSR will not add it.    This latest statement you have made is still pretty vague and does not provide any background as to what has been done to make SURE that the CSRs will comply.

We need a definitive statement from Rogers  stating that CSRs are now up to speed on adding modems,  that they know how to do it,  and that they will do it without giving the customer a hard time,  and refuse to do it. 

Everybody at Rogers should be on the same page on this issue.   it looks very bad when one group (YOU and other moderators) says one thing,  and another group (CSR) will NOT do what YOU say they will do.

Please advise

Skutflut

Re: Buy a new non-Rogers cable modem

kltt
I've Been Here Awhile

@RogersHemal

Is there a procedure/steps as to how to go about getting your 3rd party modem added to your account?

Which department do we ask for?

thanks

jkl2005
I've Been Around

@ Rogers Hemal

I have Express and I just called up Rogers Customers Service to register my Toshiba PCX2500 modem. I was told they cannot add it. What can I do next to get it registered?

Thanks

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

I would not expect a whole lot of help here. On the one hand, we are told that certain modems can be added. On the other hand, when you call in to have them added, the CSRs say NO. It seems to me that the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. If certain modems can be added, as stated by RogersHemal, why is this not communicated to the department that is supposed to add them? Why are so many customers experiencing so much grief? I wish you luck jkl2005 in getting your modem added. Please let us know if you are successful. 

adepaolis
I've Been Here Awhile
Hi RogersHemal,

I called into Rogers to get my 3rd party Motorola SB5101 and the CSRs wont activate the modem. Your posting seems to suggest that it is possible to get the modem activated. Can you help me with this?

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

RogersHemal seems to have mysteriously disappeared. But that is the frustration. According to Hemal, you can the hard drive, but the CSRs will not add them. Another Roger's employee contradicted Hemal and said only if it was in Rogers' inventory could it be added.  Bottom line - we are still wondering what the hell is going on!

Same situation with here.  Was told to call the "Fulfillment Team" in order to have the MAC address for my Motorola SB5101 added to the service.  Just got off the phone with them and was told "I don't know what you're talking about" by someone who, apparently, is not quite sure what a MAC address is.  He went on to say that the Rogers employee who informed me that using a 3rd party modem would be possible was wrong and that the only modems that work on their system are rental units distributed by Rogers exclusively.

k4kman
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm one that would love to upgrade my problem has always been why rogers does not offer a DOCSIS 3 modem only unit.

I already have a working network with working wirless and have no need for another wireless device.

I currently own my own SB5100 and as Rogers does not want to give me any credit for it back.  This I undersand but my problem is they want me to buy a $199 modem/wireless  when all I really need is a DOCSIS 3 modem only solution that should and would cost only $100.

Why does rogers not provide the equipment we are asking for instead of making us buy more then we need they already raise the price year after year and lower the service they provide something has to give and for me I will not upgrade unless they provide me the type of modem the fit's into my home network the way it is now.

I'm very willing to upgrade and pay more but instead they want to bend me over

I'm getting very tired of rogers $1 more for this $2 more for that extra fees you don't even know why things like this

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

@k4kman

I have made the same point on more than one occasion. I cannot get an answer from Rogers as to why they will not approve the SB6120 modem and no one from Rogers has the courtesy to answer me here. The SB6120 is a stand alone DOCSIS3 modem which allows you to use your own router. I even got a PM from one of the Rogers employees here so I messaged him to express my concerns, but once again, not even the courtesy of a reply. We know the SMC modem/router combo is a piece of **bleep**, but they keep trying to ram them down our throats. I, like you, will not upgrade until they approve a stand alone modem.

k4kman
I've Been Here Awhile

We also have to remind them that if your like me Rogers made you buy the darn modem in the first place if you wanted the speed of extreme at the time.  This was the only way they would let you get it and sign contract.

As my home network grew I have added many other things on my network switches wirless routers and it's working perfect.

I do understand that I have had the modem for many years and buying a new one is not the problem it's buying stuff I don't need at all thats my problem. 

We would all love the Motorola as it's getting the best reviews on the net but the funny thing is Rogers does not even offer the SMC SMCD3CM  that is also a modem only unit.  There are many of them out and if Rogers is not going to offer one then they should let users use there own equipment.

DOCSIS3 is a standard and if your modem meets DOCSIS3 specs there is no reason it would not work on the Rogers network. 

It's just too bad Rogers is not listening lets just hope other companies that are just starting to resell cable internet get the right they should

Please make sure you sign up for

http://stopthemeter.ca/

This is the only way little guys have any chance at making money reselling cable and DSL

This way we will have options if not well then best just bend over as look at the last 3 years at how much your internet has gone up when it's been bad times for the average guy and most of your other bills have not gone up as much yet Rogers reports record earnings seems they just take all they can.  Service way down price way up mmmm glad Rogers is in Canada you would never get away with this in the USA.

vmcoman
I've Been Here Awhile

Why don't you try Teksavvy? It is on their list.

Onhold
I've Been Around
Will Teksavvy be able to add the 3rd party modem to the system ?

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
@Onhold it's all third party to them..

Hi everyone,

As RogersHemal mentioned previously, you should be able to add any Rogers-supported modem, regardless of where you purchased it. As long as it is supported by Rogers, it can be added manually as some customers have mentioned they were able to.

If you have purchased a Rogers supported modem and were unable to have it activated, please e-mail forumsupport@rci.rogers.com with your account number, modem brand and model, and MAC ID of the modem you would like to purchase and so that we can look into the issue further for you.

Thanks!
RR

kltt
I've Been Here Awhile

email sent - thanks for looking into this.

I recently purchased the DPC2100 Scientific Atlanta modem from EBAY. Unfortunately Rogers is unable to register this product to the account because its a 3rd party (Non-rogers) product.  It is really frustrating why you cannot just buy any modem and hook it up, such a scam.

you could have asked the ebay seler for the imei or serial number first, then if roger's give you the OK, tell them to put a note on your account. you could go ahead and buy it, and

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

The point is Pauly, you should not have to check with Rogers regarding the serial number. Both RogersHemal and RogersReggie have very clearly stated that third party modems, regardless of where they are purchased, can be added. RogersHemal also clearly stated that the DPC2100 was one of the modems supported and could be purchased from a third party. The problem is either RogersHemal and RogersReggie are both wrong or the CSRs are not aware of this policy. If we assume that RogersHemal and RoggersReggie are correct, why could a memo not be sent to all CSRs informing them of the policy? There should be a simple solution, but with Rogers, there never is!