cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy a new non-rogers cable modem

SuperJJ
I've Been Here Awhile

Currently I am renting a Motorola SURFboard (SB5120) Modem from Rogers, Can I buy a same model or (SB5100 or SB5101 ) from outside and replace the rental> Do I need to get it activate from Rogers?

***edited labels***

99 REPLIES 99

Re: Buy a new non-rogers cable modem

ash37
I've Been Here Awhile

What about SB6120. Is it supported?

Hooter
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I made inquiries to Rogers about the Motorola 6120 and was told that it was not supported. Unfortunately, if you want a Docsis 3 modem, you must get one from Rogers and the bottom line is that while the modem part works fine, the wireless router is a piece of **bleep**. So to have wireless working properly, you need to have Rogers remotely set the modem to bridge mode and install your own router. Why they will not support the 6120 is simply beyond comprehension!

ash37
I've Been Here Awhile

That's exactly what I'm doing now. I switch wi-fi router part off and connnected ASUS N16. Now Rogers started to increes modem renting price and offers to buy out device. In this case I' prefer to buy one that supports DOCIS3.0 fo r$80 than to pay for old and bad one almost 200 bucks.

Hooter
I'm a Reliable Contributor

That is another part that is just not fair to the consumer. They increase the rental fee for the Docsis 3 modem/router, but the router part does not work properly. So you still have to shell out for a router that will work in addition to paying the higher rental fee!

edlui420
I've Been Here Awhile
Hi:

Does that mean I can purchase a Scientific Atlanta DPC2100 from 3rd party to replace the current Rogers rental modem unit? If so, what are the registration procedures for the new unit?

Thanks.

Ed