Bridging questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gwilki
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Bridging questions

Thanks again , Datalink. Rogers is sending a tech here tomorrow morning. I'll post back with results.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, please post the signal levels when all is said and done, just to see how they turned out.  Your modem is basically in survival mode with one upstream channel running.  The sooner that is fixed, the better.

Can you see if you can go back into your data posting (msg #8) and delete your MAC address.  If you can't, I'll ask one of the moderators to do it.

gwilki
I Plan to Stick Around

The Rogers tech just left - good guy. He changed some connectors outside. It's darn cold to be doing that. Inside, he put an attenuator on the modem.

Here are the new numbers.

Power Level:     Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1:     3.2 dBmV     37.1 dB
Channel 2:     3.3 dBmV     37.2 dB
Channel 3:     3.3 dBmV     36.9 dB
Channel 4:     3.2 dBmV     36.9 dB
Channel 5:     3.0 dBmV     36.7 dB
Channel 6:     3.7 dBmV     37.2 dB
Channel 7:     3.6 dBmV     36.9 dB
Channel 8:     3.3 dBmV     36.7 dB

Upstream Channels           

Power Level:
Channel 1:     41.7 dBmV
Channel 2:     41.5 dBmV
Channel 3:     41.0 dBmV
Channel 4:     0.0 dBmV

Thanks to you all for your advice. I'm grateful.

Datalink: Tks for the prompt about my MAC. I know better than that. Duh!!

Grant

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In a perfect world you would want the downstream closer to zero.. that is pretty darn good though generally 🙂
The upstream looks ALOT better.

gwilki
I Plan to Stick Around

GdKitty: From the previous posts, I knew that 0 would be better, but at least I have a big improvement in the upstream.

Can you please tell me, could the larger than 0 numbers have anything to do with my equipment - router, switches, etc. Or, are they strictly a function of the incoming signal from Rogers? We are using a strictly wired connection network. But, that means that we have switches in the upstairs rooms to take the input from 2 PC's in the room to one jack in the wall. Then, I have  switch beside the basement router because I have more inputs than the router can take. Then, I have the router connecting to the bridged Gateway/modem. I'm just trying to learn if having all these connections can affect the numbers.

Grant

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There will not be any effect from your internal network.  The DOCSIS WAN data is stricly a reflection of the incoming signal, after it has travelled from the local node, to the tap, through three or four connectors and finally to the modem.  Normally, with the cable loss from the node, and tap, and losses through the connectors, you would end up around 0 dBmV.  But, that depends on your distance from the node, as I believe the node ouput is constant.  The actual output is ramped up from low to high frequency to counter the corresponding loss in the cable run from the node, to the tap and to the home.  Over time, the numbers will drop as the cable to the home and connectors age.  And then, when that eventually does happen, it will be time for another tech visit.  🙂

DrMike
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Might be a dumb question but now that my CGN3 is in bridge mode, is there any way to access any of its features via browser. Obviously 192.168.1.1 takes me to the admin page of my ASUS AC68U.

I had seen in some other threads that for older modems (cisco?) you could use 192.168.100.1 to access the modem itself even after bridging, but that doesn't work for me on the Hitron.

So, just out of curiosity, is there any way to access the CGN3? 

Not sure I know why I want to do this, just curious to learn new things 🙂

DrMike
I'm a Trusted Contributor

And now I see from reading the earlier notes in this thread that there does not seem to be any way to access the CGN3 until and unless it is reset to factory and re-established as a gateway.

One more strike against the Hitron, but it seems I have my answer. 

Thanks anyway. 

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

192.168.100.1 used to access the CGN3 when it was running in Bridge mode.  The last firmware update nuked that capability.  Hopefully it will return in the next update.

192.168.100.1 does work and allows access to the CGN3ACR when it is running in Bridge mode.  This has been tried and confirmed.

baffledalot
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Datalink

thanks for all of the great advice... and others on this thread.

With respect to getting the up and down link signal strength and noise data.. is there any way of getting this from a CGN2 in bridge mode... I am having intermittent connection issues in bridged mode...