Bridge or AP?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davej13
I Plan to Stick Around

Bridge or AP?

I am currently setting up a home thetre in my basement and would like to be able to connect my various devices (PS3, Wii U, Denon receiver) wirelessly.  I currently have a Rogers "Enhanced Home Gateway" in bridge mode at my panel in the basement (about 30 feet from the new HT location) since the house has some ethernet wiring to a couple rooms in the house, including the main floor office. 

I don't think it's fully in bridge mode since the Rogers modem does provide a wireless network for the basement and I have a separate setup upstairs with a TP link n700 providing 2.4GHz and 5GHz access and the wired connectiong for my desktop.  The problem is I would like to be able to access my desktop computer for the Plex server from the basement which I currently cannot do since the wireless signals from the TPlink are too weak; should I be setting the TP link up as an access point and letting the Gateway handle the DHCP?  I also have a couple of Chromecast devices I would like to be able to access without having to change networks  on my phone/tablet all the time.

*****Edit Labels****

RogersArthur
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Bridge or AP?

Hi @davej13,

Thank you for your post Smiley Happy

I understand you have a desktop computer on the top floor and you want to be able to access it remotely from the basement but the wireless signals from a separate TP Link n700 router are too weak. Looks like your Rogers Hitron modem is not in bridge mode, it's in DHCP mode and as long as the TP Link router is able to a good connection from the Rogers modem, I would recommend you do set the TP link router as a wireless access point.

Let us know if this works,
RogersArthur

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The one problem that you might have is what the Hitron modem will allow, in terms of connecting with other devices on the network.  I would bet that your TP-Link router has a selection that allows wireless devices to communicate with each other or denies that ability.  I don't know if that capability is automatically extended to wireless devices communicating with wired devices.  If the Hitron modem doesn't allow that, you might have to purchase another router for the basement that gives you that capability and put the modem into Bridge mode.  You could probably experiment with your current router by running that setup to see if it gives you access from a wifi device in the basement to your wired devices upstairs.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It sounds like it MAY NOT be bridged??

That you are seeing the wireless networks for the rogers box...

Your router UPSTAIRS likely then is running in full router mode.. and then running its own seperate DHCP server, etc.. and effectively creating a seperate SUB network.

If the wireless strength there in the basement off the rogers one is sufficient enough then speed, signal, etc wise..

PERSONALLY.. i would then put the one upstairs, just as an AP... let the hitron do all the work.
That is, unless you need any more advanced fuction than the hitron can allow..

From there.. gets a little more difficult.  Really then would mean a run from the modem (in bridge).. up to the router upstairs (in full router mode), and an additional run BACK down, to run another router as an AP down there.

davej13
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, I will try this.  From what I remember they are separate networks each with DHCP enabled.  I will try setting up the TPlink as an AP and see if that works.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Without some routing statements, etc... yeah having the seperate networks would prevent them from talking to each other.

What your setting up, is pretty much what my setup is.

While i am not using the wireless on the hitron at all.. i use ALL the wireless ports downstairs in the basment used, for my media center area, my office area, and one up to the main floor, where i have an ASUS as an AP.

davej13
I Plan to Stick Around

So I gave it a quick try this morning but didn't have any luck.  Here are the settings that I saw.

Hitron

IP 192.168.0.1

DHCP enabled, IP pool 192.168.0.2-200

Wifi enabled: SSID-Basement

TPlink 750

IP 192.168.1.1

DHCP enabled

Wifi SSIDs: DJ-2.4, DJ5

I had changed the TPlink IP to 192.168.0.2, disabled DHCP and changed the ethernet cord from the Internet port to a LAN port.

Do I need to reserve the 192.168.0.2 IP in the Hitron?  It seemed like my desktop was getting an IP from the Hitron but it was the one I had entered into the TPlink (192.168.0.2) unless I unplugged the desktop first.  In either case I could not log in to either router. 

RogersArthur
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi davej13,

Thank you for the information it's really helpful.  Smiley Happy

So far from what I can see, you currently have the Ethernet cable plugged into the LAN port of the TP Link router, you've turned off DHCP and set the IP address to 192.168.0.2. Do you still have the other end of the Ethernet cable plugged into your desktop computer? If you have the TP Link router set to AP mode was the Rogers Hitron modem / router able to assign it an IP address? Also like @Gdkitty mentioned, do you have enough wireless strength from the Rogers Hitron modem located in the basement with sufficient speed and signal?  I suggest you leave the Ethernet cable connected to the LAN port on the TP Link router and the other end in your desktop computer. Reset and re-configure the AP mode on the TP Link router and make sure it's assigned with an IP address from the Rogers Hitron modem. That way both routers will be on the same SUB network giving you access to your desktop computer from the basement.

Let us know if this helps,
RogersArthur

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sounds like the one PC had that address before.

If you completely removed it out of the mix.. a full reboot on it, etc.. it SHOULD grab a new free address.

doing a reservation SHOULDNT be necessary.. but would also 100% prevent this.

(or on that PC, could set a static address itself too)