cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridge Mode Setup Guide

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hey fellow forum users.  If anyone is willing to help me with this, it would be appreciated. 

I am wanting to make a 'bridged mode setup guide', pretty much one thread, which goes

"smc - how to"
"Cisco - how to"
"hitron - how to"

And would also put in a 4th section, of the alternative of how to set up your own router as just an access point as well.

As i have general knoledge, i havent done the setup myself on all the models, i am asking for your help/input.  Pretty much just step by step instructions, login, this page, change this, reboot... as detailed as possible.

This way we have an easy spot for reference for users comming in to point to - will be requesting it to be stickied at the top of the forum.

---

Yes i understand that this shouldnt be necessary, etc.. they should offer d3 modems, etc.  I dont want to get into that in this thread 🙂  Its more to collectively get this together to be able to help other users with setting it up.

Please feel free to reply here, or PM me with the info.

I look forward to your input.

***edited labels***

193 REPLIES 193

Re: Bridge Mode Setup Guide

In bridged, you cant.

Only the one port is active.. making it essentially like a regular modem with only one.

its then designed to go into a ROUTER.  The router then, would have more ports out of it.

If your router then doesnt have enough wired ports.. you can buy a SWITCH.  Plug that into one of the wired ports on the router, then it will give you a bunch more.

alex5908
I've Been Here Awhile
Hi there,
I wanted to put my DPC 3825 modem to bridged mode but lost the Internet connection. I called Rogers techsup and asked them to restore the modem and put it to bridged modem remotely. They did and the connection was lost again. I talked to techsup again and they said I had to change the modem to see what is wrong. There is no problem in bridged mode if the PC is directly connected to the modem. I remember I used to have the same problem with Motorola modem when I used Teksavvy service. It was resolved somehow but appeared again after some time. Any ideas how to get bridged mode working and have external (standalone) router?

After they (or you) switch the router into bridged mode..

Are you doing a FULL reset on the wireless router?  Sounds like its not locking into getting the info from the gateway.  Usually if you do a FULL reset on it, it will wipe everything.. but start clean and go looking for a new connection when it first starts up.  It should hopefully then find the gateway in bridged mode.
(you are pluging the router, into port 1?)

You would have to re-set all the wireless, security, etc again on the wireless router.

Re: Bridge Mode Setup Guide - Linksys E4200 and QOS

merovingian
I've Been Around

CAUTION!   Just wanted to share this with anyone looking to use their Linksys instead of a Rogers modem.

I have a Cisco DPC3825.  I had been experiencing very poor upload speeds for quite some time. Always assumed it was something strange on Rogers' end, so never really wanted to deal with it. 

To make a long story short, through some help of Google and some great community forums, I found that the default QOS setting on the E4200 was my issue.

I went from getting 0.5Mbps upload to 4Mbps, and from 35 down up to 65 down.

Settings:

Applications & Gaming -> QoS -> Upstream bandwidth manual (i set it to 20 Mbps)

WMM Support = disabled.

Note that the slow speed were incurred whether I had the Cisco in Bridged mode or if I used my E4200 on a different subnet.

Re: Bridge Mode Setup Guide - Linksys E4200 and QOS

It is amazing how the settings... or even the ROUTER can make a difference.

I am only on the 30/5 (previously the 25).. with an e2500.  Not the greatest router, but not bad.  Even on a 5ghz N connection, only ever got about 90% on speedtests on wireless... figured wireless.. expected.  There are no QoS settings, etc configurable on it.

Just switched to an ASUS N66U... no other configuration changes.
I am already getting as fast as a wired speed test now on wireless.

Beacher
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi everyone. Having problems with our connection. Had 35/ 3 but always only got 18/ 1 mbps. A few weeks ago a techie insatlled the SMC and speeds immediately went to 40/ 3 mbps.

Seeind as speeds were so great we decided to upgrade to Fibre 60. As soon as the new speed was activated we were getting 40-60/ 10 mbps.We were then told we had to replace the SMC with the Hitron CGN3. HUGE mistake as speeds went to:

Worst- 7 down and .7 up

Best- 12 down and 8 up

Rogers website this a.m. took:

first attempt= 60+ secs

subsequent attempts= after refreshing many times eventually website loaded- probably took about 3 mins.

Another website I use only took 2 secs to load this a.m.

We are looking to bypass the Hitron router via hardwire cable. We don't need anything fancy and were wondering if this riuter would be up to the task.

Asuus 300 RT-N12/D1 Wireless N Router.

Already confirmed with Asus that it would work with our present Network Card.

Thank you for any ajnd all help.

The CGN3 is needed for all 60+ plans now... mostly for the case, as that more and more people get on these higher packages.. will experience more CONGESTION of they kept the old modems.
These new ones, are 20+ channels assigned for downstream.. vs 4 (on the SMC) or 8 (on the others).
think of it like more lanes on a highway... less chance of getting traffic 🙂

Onto the modem itself. 
How long ago did you get it?  less than 72 hours ago? 
Likely is not on the latest firmware..  the latest firmware has fixed ALOT of issues, and might help alot.  That firmware should be pushed within 72 hours.

(now, did the TECH install this modem? or you?  Bad signal to that modem can cause alot of speed issues as well)

As for adding the other router.
MORE than doable.., MANY people bridge mode their gateways, and use their own routers 100%.

As for the one listed there.
GENERALLY should work.  Its only a 10/100 on the wan and lan side... with the 60 package.. you SHOULD be ok..

(some people though, have had issues with SOME 10/100 devices not linking properly with the hitron.  I only have 1 10/100 connected to mine but seems to link ok.   10/100/1000 devices link without issue.)

Beacher
I Plan to Stick Around

Received first Modem on May 24 and new one on May 27. Yes had checked and it had the latest firmware.

Signal is great as per the last techie that came here and the CAT ticket I have opened a few days ago. Had another CAT ticket open for 2? months but nothing really changed.

Just wanting to be proactive as this issue has been with us for the last year. Emailed ASUS and they said the Router should be fine.

Thank you so very much for responding so quickly. The info you provide for us here is very much appreciated.

The speed problems you are getting currently, are when you are WIRED into the CGN3, without the ASUS in the mix at all, correct?

Generally, yes the router shoudl be ok.  If you ever wanted to UP your package again, you would need to change.

Myself.. (due to network layout in my house), i DONT have my CGN3 bridged.. i leave it in gateway mode, and have a ASUS N66U wireless router, set up just as a wireless access point.

I am only on the 30/5 package, but have yet to have an issue speed wise.. always at the max (on multiple wired into it connections).

The ONLY thing, as mentioned above, which i could see as a PONTENTIAL issues.. is the bug (with the CGN3 itself) where it has issues with some 10/100 devices.

By chance, what is the make/model of the network card in your PC? (wondering if ITS 10/100)

Beacher
I Plan to Stick Around

The card is the Realtek RTL8139/ 810x Fast Ethernet PCI but I've also tried 2 other desktops and my neighbour's laptop to no avail. Thanks to yourself I had read about RT Card issues with the Hitron. Last CAT tech said the only other option was to use the Hitron CGN2.

Maybe to be safe I'll try looking for a resonably priced 1/10/100 router. Seems ASUS is the the leader right now. Will either buy from Canada Comp, Tiger Direct or NCIX.

Beacher
I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry. Haven't bought the router yet and the CGN3 is hard wired into the pc. Have tried all 4 ports.Techie replaced splitter (I had the identical splitter) and he said all the interior cable was top notch quality. He also replaced the connector on the cable into the home.

Frustrating as the SMC was working flawlessly.

That realtek card.. IS a 10/100... so its POSSIBLE thats where the issues are stemming from.
(while myself havent had the 10/100 link problem.. talked to many others on here who have... and have fixed it with replacing with say a gigabit switch inbetween (so the 10/100 link is with the swtich, then gigabit to the CGN3)), or similar).

If you are going to try (one way or the other) with a 3rd party router..  i would reccomend THIS one at minimum.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=1047&item_id=044938

A little towards the PRICER side.. but an INSANELY good router.  I currently have that one just as an access point.

There are others i have talked to on the 150+ rogers speed plans, using it in bridged, with that specific unit... no issues at all.

Beacher
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you. Yes it is a 10/100 Card but I've also tried 2 other desktops and a neighbour's laptop and the same result. I can justify spending an extra $50 because a product doesn't perform but $150 is way too much. At this point I'm retired and wife is planning the same soon so money/ budget is a concern. Thank you for your concern and help.

Not normally a critic but this upgrade couldn't have gone any worse- TV service mistakenly cancelled by Rogers for 2 days, first Next Box defective, strolled down to store to find Rogers Network down- total downtime for TV= 5 days. Internet slow, disconnects. To top it all off Billing has overcharged us by 17% for the next 2 months.

Always the optimist so I guess I could say it can only get better Smiley Happy

A sincere thank you for all your help and the sharing your knowledge.

While i dont use the wireless on the CGN3.. generaly for its ROUTING purposes.. i found it working fine.. on wired as well.

BUT.. everything but two things (the rogers security router, and a printer) are gigabit.. and are working flawlessly.

So i know the CGN3 works.. at least with gigabit 😞

I completey understand your concerns with the $$.
I was only sugesting it.. just due to, well experience.

I have been running for a year or two prior to the CGN3 (with my SMC) a linksys E2500 router.  Thats a probably $90 router.  Dual band N, 10/100 only.. but got still some decent ratings.

Switched to the CGN3.. the E2500 worked... but was never fully happy with the RANGE on it.
That spurred me to the N66U.

Ontop of the range, which did improve... i was suprised at the... PERFORMANCE difference.
The N66U and similar higher end ones.. are really almost like a mini computer in the router, moreso than your cheaper ones (i think the N66U has like a 800mhz processor or something in it).

Performance across wireless increased, but the 1g vs 10/100 helped alot... but even so in the wireless.
Right beside my wireless router, on wireless.. my laptop, on 2.4ghz, got usually about 90% of my promised rogers speeds (vs my wired desktop would pull OVER just fine.  Figured wireless.. it would happen.. thats fine.
Now, with the N66U installed... i can pull promised speeds, if not HIGHER than my dekstop ocassionaly, same laptop, etc.

Beacher
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you again Gdkitty. The search goes on LOL. I really do understand and appreciate you sharing your experiences with me. Will definitely begin to look around for a 1 GB Router. Found a couple that go for about $50-$60 so will spend a few days researching. Will buy from a reputable Vendors so a return is always possible if it doesn't work out. Agin thanks very much and enjoy the great weather.

No problem.. i work in IT, so i just like to share my knoledge where i can.

Yeah, while performance may slightly varry from one model to another.. at least a semi decent one, should help elivate some issues.
Going with a 1g router of some form, would eliminate the 10/100 linking issue completely.

(just make sure, it has 1g on the WAN port, as well as the LAN.

Beacher
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks again Gdkitty. Previously, on Fibre 60 with the Hitron CGN3 (hardwired), was getting 10 mbps upload and 10 download speeds. Went to CC and spoke at length with the "counter dude" as he wasn't busy.  Had already decided on the Intel EXP19301 GB CT Express Card. He was very curious as he had heard of the Hitron issue and offered to test my RTL8139 Card- tested out absolutely fine but he said Realtek cards are prolly the most problematic of all brands in regards to compatibilty.

Now getting 60 mbps download and 2.6 mbps upload. Still not perfect but much improved. Will research further in regards to NIC settings.

Thanks very much again. Now eyeballing a RTN-N56U.

Thanks very much once again as all your info here and in other threads (yes I had lurked before posting/ bugging anyone Smiley Happy) was my solution. Will post updates on speed and conectivity.

Yeah.. the realtek ones have had some mixed issues.  I have had issues with some at work as well.. 
They generally may work FINE with one device, may not on the next.

MOST of the problem lies in the  CGN3 not linking properly..

But all and all, a gigabit card would be a worthwhile thing to have anyways 🙂
Glad your getting pretty much the right speeds.

What type of network patch cable are you using? 5, 5e, 6?

Beacher
I Plan to Stick Around

All thanks to you. Don't know which network cable I'm using. Tried the yellow Rogers one and one that I had. Now getting 1.8 mbps ul speed. Was just doing a dl speed test and dl speed cutoff and went to zero (could see in my bandwidthe monitor graph)- restarted the test and got 52 mbps.

usually the cable will have it printed on there somewhere.

a non cat5e could cause some issues, etc. 
Would think the one that came with it, would be a 5e tho

Beacher
I Plan to Stick Around

It was nice while it lasted. sometimes takes 1 full minute to load this site- sometimes have to refresh. Here's a screenshot. Note "transferring Data" at bottom left yet dl and ul are at 0.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2h7lzrd.jpg

Also rear Lan port lights are amber- have tried all four ports. Intel dianostics says bad cable yet myself and the techies know the interior cable and connections are fine so maybe outside cable bad....which is what the first techie suggested a year ago....exterior cable line is 30 years old.

Edit: Now rear Lan Port light is green. Ran the Intel Connection test 6 times- one second the line/ connections are poor- next test seconds later the line/ connections are fine.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats