cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridge Mode Setup Guide

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hey fellow forum users.  If anyone is willing to help me with this, it would be appreciated. 

I am wanting to make a 'bridged mode setup guide', pretty much one thread, which goes

"smc - how to"
"Cisco - how to"
"hitron - how to"

And would also put in a 4th section, of the alternative of how to set up your own router as just an access point as well.

As i have general knoledge, i havent done the setup myself on all the models, i am asking for your help/input.  Pretty much just step by step instructions, login, this page, change this, reboot... as detailed as possible.

This way we have an easy spot for reference for users comming in to point to - will be requesting it to be stickied at the top of the forum.

---

Yes i understand that this shouldnt be necessary, etc.. they should offer d3 modems, etc.  I dont want to get into that in this thread 🙂  Its more to collectively get this together to be able to help other users with setting it up.

Please feel free to reply here, or PM me with the info.

I look forward to your input.

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Help making a "Bridged Mode Setup Guide"

devon_s_biring
I've Been Around

Hey guys,

I just came across guides for bridging all of rogers' routers through the tech support search engine. Have a look:

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?Ntt=bridge+mode&_nfpb=true&N=&_pageLabel=support_results

I hope this helps; made an account just to share the link.

View solution in original post

193 REPLIES 193

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

@Gkitty:

I love your initiative.  It makes a lot of sense that we should have such documentation available for our Forum participants.

I will PM you with my thoughts and suggestions.

skinorth

Gebus_Khris
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello Gdkitty,

I have done this a few times with my SMC D3GN gateway (hated the wifi dropped connections all the time) so I'm pretty comfortable in at least this model.

The steps to set to bridge mode on SMCD3GN gateway:

1. In a web browser (Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox) type 192.168.0.1 in address bar.

2. Default login information on the gateway is username: CUSADMIN and password: <BLANK>

3. On the left hand side of page you'll see TOOLS, click on it.

4. In this page there is a simple check box labelled "Turn off Commercial gateway functions", check it, then click apply.

5. Your modem will now reboot itself, if all went accordingly your computer will no longer have a LAN IP (192.168.0.xxx) but a Rogers IP (I don't know Rogers IP range but usually it starts off with 99.x.x.x)

Bridge mode would be active now (no wifi capabilities and minimal router functionality)

@Gebus_Khris:

nice write up of the procedure.  As Gdkitty initiated the thread, I am sure he will respond too.

In your point 5 you mention that: "...Your modem will now reboot itself, if all went accordingly your computer will no longer have a LAN IP (192.168.0.xxx) but a Rogers IP (I don't know Rogers IP range but usually it starts off with 99.x.x.x)..."

Just to clarify: your setup for bridging the modem here is with (only) a PC connected directly to the SMC D3GN gateway, presumably by ethernet cable to a LAN port.  In that case, as you have described it, once bridging of the SMC is done it is the PC ethernet interface that has the Rogers-assigned IP address parameters, whatever they may be.

The approach you describe is IMHO the simplest and hence the best way to perform the bridging operation initially.  Once your procedure has successfully been completed and tested/verified as working, then the next step would be to proceed with the addition of the external router to the network.

Once the external router has been configured and inserted between the PC and the SMC bridged modem, the external router WAN interface will then be configured with the Rogers-assigned IP address parameters.  The LAN side of the external router will have a subnet address range of 192.168.nnn.nnn, depending on the router type and its factory defaults.  Of course the factory default LAN IP address range can be changed if desired.

This approach seems to be a good template for adding an external router to the other Rogers D3 modem/gateway products.

Thanks again for your participation and contribution to this project.

skinorth

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Ski north beat me to it :). Again starting off by saying thank you for contributing.

I do agree, this will be a good approach as I write the guide up. Doing gateway to pc first to guarantee that it is changed over correctly first before introducing the router into the configuration.

One thing I haven't tried myself, so not sure if it is an issue or not. I know in the past the modems often liked to tie themselves I into the MAC address of the first device connected, so by putting the pc in first then the router, will the modem communicate correctly to the router? I know again in the past, a soft reboot was required for it to grab the MAC address of the router instead. Just curious if experienced the same thing with these units?

Something to include in the guide. Though usually a good idea to reboot the unit anyways while doing procedures like this anyways.

I do have the HITRON instructions now as well.

I used to have the Cisco, but i forget what the settings were.  If anyone still has a cisco and would be able to provide this, it would be appreciated.

Tippmann130
I've Been Around
"Gdkitty"
- can you please post the Hitron setup instructions !

ConflictedCust
I'm Here A Lot
This forum is great .. but should not exist .. I'm really glad you made it... But the fact that Rogers advertises whole home coverage and their are hundreds of posts and thousands of views on how to fix Wi-Fi range issues should tell rogers that they need yo fix it... I'm not my isp ... Rogers is.. they should live up to their promises

I wont argue that fact.

The devices, FAR from live up to what is advertised.
Now.. i understand they cant cover EVERY scenario... If they said "covers the whole house" and it covered a 2000sq/ft home.. i would say that its living up to what it says it can do... anything biger? might not... but that could happen with a 3rd party one if the house is big enough.

Unfortunately, they barely cover the range of a 2 bedroom appartment.

I agree, that it shouldnt be necessary.

BUT... there are people like myself.. where Rogers is the ONLY service in town really (I can get DSL, but at 6mb/s MAX), only 3rd party are DSL coverage only with same restrictions.
Until rogers does descide to make a change on the hardware choices.. these things, etc, are here to help people with that.

BugMaster
I've Been Here Awhile

1st;   Disable wireless

2nd: In the initilization screen, Click Status > Capability. 

in this screen Disable Residential Gateway and UPnP.

Modem will reboot and you will be in bridged mode.

Plug router in Lan1 and your set to go.

Worked for me.

nav2004
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Gdkitty,

Thank you for thinking of doing this write up.

I recently got the Hitron(don't remember the model, there used to be only one, but found out yesterday from Rogers that a new one is out now).

I have been using the Wireless in that in a 2200 sq ft home and the signal strength is a little less sometimes than my ASUS NT-13U router. I connected my computer to the old router as I have an external drive connected to it.

Initially the speedtest.net speeds over Hitron wifi were better, but off late I am noticing my ASUS router beats it handily in Download speeds, but uploads speeds are better on the Hitron. I have an express and get 16 mbps down and 1 mbps on my Asus while 5/2 on the Hitron.

So that begs the question, does putting the Hitron help data to pass smothly from Hitron to my wifi router. What if I just disable the Wifi in Hitron by not transmitting the signal, is it same as putting it in bridged mode. And finally, can we go back to disabling the bridged mode on the Hitron once we enable it ?

nav2004
I Plan to Stick Around
Another question, in bridged mode, can I still use the ethernet ports on the Hitron to connect to other devices apart from the my own Router. I have some voip hardware that needs internet, so wanted to connect them to Hitron instead of my router.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Yes and no.
While I have not done myself, others have said the hitrons other wired ports will act just like a switch.

LQQKR
I've Been Around

Can I bridge the Cisco DPC3825 DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway Router from rogers?

Or should i call rogers and have them do it?

Thanx in advance

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes you can.

Havent posted the guide.. as i havent got full instructions from other modem owners yet 😛

But inside it, on one of the sections, should be something that says "disable all commercial gateway functions" or something similar.

you will want to go in there.. and click apply.  While its rebooting, unplug all from it, other than the router you want to connect to it.

HookemHigh
I've Been Here Awhile
Hi all. Excellent forum. Sorry if this is hijacking the thread but it seems to be the most relevant. I have the CGN2 and put it into bridge mode with an external router about a month ago with no problems. I now have another router that I want to try but setting it up has proven difficult. It doesn't seem to be getting a new ip address from Rogers and ttherefore won't connect to the internet. If I simply switch out the new one with the old one, the old one connects to the internet no problem. If I plug a computer directly in to a lan port on the CGN2 I can't get internet that way either. Obviously the problem rests with DHCP settings in the router somehow. I'm pretty sure I could get the new router working by resetting the CGN2 and then bridging it again and adding the new router that way but I'm hoping someone could point out how to fix it without going that route. I'd really like to understand if it's not too complicated. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

I dont really think there IS a way to do it, without reseting and re bridging.

Currently, with it in bridged.. a modem period (weither the gateway bridged or a regular modem), will lock into the mac address of the first device plugged into it, after its reset.
This is likely what has happened.

Bar going in, and getting the mac address of your old router, and doing mac address cloning on the new one, etc...

Its just as easy to reset the gateway, and re-force it into bridged, and then when the new one connects to it for the first time, will lock onto that one.

techguy001
I'm a Reliable Contributor

LQQKR,

I just got one of the CISCO DPC 3825's as well.   If you haven't found the location to put into bridge mode, here it is:

It's under Administration, Management, Working mode:   Change Router Mode to Bridged mode in drop-down menu.

HookemHigh
I've Been Here Awhile
Gdkitty, thanks for the reply. I'll reset the CGN2. Rogers set it up for me the first time so I'm a little nervous about resetting it myself. Could you point me in the direction of a step-by-step for after I reset it? (I searched the forums but couldn't find one.) Failing that could you at least tell me what info you think I would need to set it up again? I'm really worried about having to troubleshoot without being able to get online to search for answers. Thanks again.

Hoding the reset on it, should reset the unit back to factory defaults.

From there, you should be in gateway mode, and should be able to log into it, and then reset it to bridged mode.
(the specifics on how/where.. i am not positive.. as i dont have that unit).

If you are stuck on this.. you can call rogers, and they can do it over the phone for you.

When they do the reset.. make sure that EVERYTHING is unpluged from the gateway.

I would do the same hard reset on your new router.. make sure its a blank slate as well.

Know what the default login address is for it (from the manual, etc) like 192.168.0.1 and the login/password.

Then plug that one in, and it SHOULD be the first thing it picks up, and assigns its address to, etc.

Then login to the new router, and set it all up.

Beyond that.. always remember you can do the hard reset on the gateway, and get it back into gateway mode, to get internet access.

Cap07
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Does Rogers supply more than one Cisco modem? We have one but I'm becoming leery of it's performance because about a month after we installed it our usage doubled.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats