cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking Internet

sharkshooter
I've Been Around

Is there any way to have the internet blocked for particular parts of the day, say 8-4 Monday to Friday?

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Blocking Internet

While as mentioned.. there ARE ways around it.. from as simple as them going to someone elses house or a place with free internet..
But at least at home, there are the methods you can take to try and control it.  (there are ways of them getting around it as well if they can figure it out.. but does take some work).

As others said, on most of the gateways, that feature is not available (other than on the SMC i beleive).
You would need to use your own 3rd party router.

With these, you can usualy set up MAC FILTERING.  You would need to get the MAC address of the network card/wireless card that connects.. and enter it into the filtering section.
From there, you can often do time of day access, as well as website filtering etc.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Yatti420
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Sharkshooter,

Yes this is possible depending on your setup.. Can you please let us know how you have everything setup.. The Rogers gateway/modems (rogers plug and play - all in one solutions) I've used don't have this capability.. If you were to bridge your rogers gateway (essentially turning it into a modem only) this would allow you to use a third party router which has scheduling capabilities.. The D-Link DIR-615 and the 655 have this capability.. 

Hogwash
I'm a Senior Contributor

@sharkshooter wrote:

Is there any way to have the internet blocked for particular parts of the day, say 8-4 Monday to Friday?

Your safest bet is to remove/disconnect the modem/gateway and/or place it in a secure locked environment.

Any Windows or 3rd party router scheduling mods can easily be circumvented.

Windows 'parental controls' are available if we're talking little ones. But then you still have to consider the 'Free' wireless at many locations. Young folks can even tap into your neighbor's WiFi if it's not secured.

And last but not least, stick the modem in your pocket and take it to work with you. EXTREME but EFFECTIVE.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"

Yatti420
I Plan to Stick Around

The CGN2-ROG (Hitron) will allow specific website blocking only.. Third party router is the best choice in combination with OpenDNS..

While as mentioned.. there ARE ways around it.. from as simple as them going to someone elses house or a place with free internet..
But at least at home, there are the methods you can take to try and control it.  (there are ways of them getting around it as well if they can figure it out.. but does take some work).

As others said, on most of the gateways, that feature is not available (other than on the SMC i beleive).
You would need to use your own 3rd party router.

With these, you can usualy set up MAC FILTERING.  You would need to get the MAC address of the network card/wireless card that connects.. and enter it into the filtering section.
From there, you can often do time of day access, as well as website filtering etc.

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Every major router has this feature for wireless, but it is a bit harder tp do it for wired connection

steve-oo
I've Been Here Awhile

@sharkshooter wrote:

I am trying to figure this out as well for wireless devices using network from CGN3ROG and for aprox. 10pm-8am.

Any changes I have made through the Hitron menu end up not working and sometimes even end up blocking the wired connection to desktop which I don't want to limit/block.

I have contacted Rogers to help with this and they won't unless I go through their tech support department and a fee will be charged. I was even told to try and contact Hitron support; which I did and they cannot help as to a contract agreement with service provider???

Rogers did mention to try the Cisco Connect usb and set up parental controls through there and after doing so and thinking it was setup the wireless devices would lose there connection...however several hours before they were supposed to.

I really don't wish to put in bridge mode and use a personal router; so any help in configuring this $Hitron would be great.

Thanks,

Steve

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 in conversation