BlackBerry OS 6

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: BlackBerry OS 6

Not according to blackberry.com. Version 5.0.0.1446 is still the most recent one listed. Maybe with Telus having updated the software Rogers will finally get its butt in gear though.
I Plan to Stick Around

Use Desktop Manager. It will pick up the update automatically.  It's .448.

I Plan to Stick Around

There was no Tweets, and nothing on here. So I guess that we've just notified Rogers that they have OS6 for teh 9700. Sigh...

Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey there bubbab,

Thanks for all of your updates.

Since the goal of our forums is to provide a venue where customers can help each other with technical questions, Rogers is unable to comment on the speculation of new devices or upgrades.

Here's some useful non-technical venues to check for the latest information on new OS upgrades:

The RedBoard Blog (http://redboard.rogers.com)
@RogersBuzz (http://twitter.com/RogersBuzz)

If I have any updates, I'll be sure to post them in the forums.

Cheers!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

You know, Erin, I had a whole list of your previous posts the outline you looking into issues and getting back to people HERE.  I deleted them. It would have been voluminous and a little childish.

Yes I understand the purpose of a peer to peer technical network.  Nonetheless, you might add the element of consistency to your work here.  Not to minimize your efforts, I have gotten value from you and the team, at times.  However, you should not write something off as not being able to comment on it because this is a peer to peer network and then commit on other issues to look into it and report back.  The optics of that, take on a 'selective respond' light. This is not to mention what most would consider, seemingly unprovoked editing of member posts.

Anyway, OS6 installed on one of them and working every bit as good as the 9780.  We, the customers that help each other, are pleased to have brought Rogers up to speed on your OS6 availability. Smiley Very Happy

Retired Moderator RogersJean
Retired Moderator

Hi bubbbab,

We are getting many reports of customer's seeing the 6.0.0.443 or .448 upgrade available when plugging their 9700 into the desktop manager.

This update is currently not supported by Rogers. This update (wether it is legitimate or not) seems to have been released prematurely and/or in error by Research in Motion. It has not been flagged to Rogers AND is not available on the RIM site for manual download, only through the update icon on the desktop manager.

We are getting reports of some customers succesfully updating and others having issues. At this point in time our stance is that this update is not supported and if any issues are encountered with this 6.0 version, we will revert to 5.0.

So to recap, you may be able to update to 6.0, but until we get more information from RIM and it is properly/officially released it is not supported. As soon as we get more information I will update you.

Thanks to everyone for being patient,

I Plan to Stick Around

Jean, you better get on RIM then because this update, is branded to you, Rogers, the carrier.  RIM is your vendor, you are mine, just to keep the relationships straight.  If RIM has proceeded without your authority, then manage your vendor.  Of course, these words are not to you personally, but to you as a company. One that could stand to take a look in the mirror lately.

For the record, it is .448 that has been released as a Rogers Branded Operating System.

Aside from this, thanks for providing (eventually) the information that you have been given.

Steve

Retired Moderator RogersJean
Retired Moderator

Yes the 6.0 9700 users are seeing is branded to Rogers, that is the only way it will install on the device automatically. Thanks to everyone for flagging this and expressing your concern. I have flagged the issue and will provide any updates as they become available.

Thanks again to everyone for being patient with this matter.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well Jean, my only concern is that RIM says that this could not happen without Rogers approval and you say it wasn't approved, yet it's still there.  All the way along Rogers and RIM alike have told me that the software will occur automatically in Desktop Manager when it is available.  For months, it did not, and yesterday it did. A natural assumption that was a supported sanctioned upgrade.

As for the update itself, no concerns whatsoever.  It works flawlessly on both of our 9700s. As a matter of fact, it seems faster on the 9700s than it is on the 9780 that we have. (Same Version)

As to your previous post about not supporting it, well...... I'm not going there directly but suffice to say, I'm not feeling any differences in the level of support, in that regard.

Bottom line, the update is there, if you update, Rogers doesn;t support it, it works great, fast, good battery.

Any questions: PIN 236F258A

I Plan to Stick Around

As an add note to my last, that fact that you are on here, dealing with this, is appreciated.  This is clearly something that was done outside your control, and the comments are not intended to be personal.  Anytime I might reference "you" I am referring to the company.