Beware of Asus RT-AC68U Firmware Update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Beware of Asus RT-AC68U Firmware Update

When I logged into my Asus RT-AC68U today, I was asked to perform a firmware update. I've done a couple before, so thought nothing of it. I applied the upate and ended up at a screen with 3 blue tabs on it. I forget the names offhand, but when I clicked on them to get to the GUI, I wasn't able to do anything without being taken back to the 3 blue tabs. My configuration settings are saved, so I tried applying them, but nothing worked. I also did a factory reset on the router and still got the 3 blue tabs. Then I tried the original installation disc software and got the 3 tabs again. After wasting a huge amount of time, I finally gave up and went back to my CGN3.

I have no idea what's going on with the the Asus, but will contact them tomorrow. I got a couple of surprises going back to the CGN3 too. Rogers One Number now works, so I guess the last firmware update fixed the SIP issue of getting no audio, plus my Wi-Fi download speed on my iPhone is faster than before the firmware update. I'm also getting slightly faster wired upload speeds than the Asus was getting for some reason.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Beware of Asus RT-AC68U Firmware Update

Yes, that appears to be the latest version.  I didn't have any problems loading it, but I didn't get the proper 802.11ac data rates out of it until I bit the bullet and ran the NVRAM clear.  Reset the parameters and passwords, etc, etc, and it ran fine.  No problems at all. 

Before you start the update, consider this.  Create a folder and sub-folders on your computer for the firmware versions, to store the firmware versions in separate sub-folders.  These would also store the configuration backup files, which are created after all of the settings are completed.  As of now, create a back config file and store it.  If you see any issues with the update, you can always reload the previous version that you had loaded, run the NVRAM, load the backup file, and you're back to where you started. 

For now, run the update.  After it reboots, shut off the power via the power switch.  Run the NVRAM clear by depressing the WPS button as you turn the power back on and release the WPS button after 30 seconds.  After the reboot, login, reset your parameters manually, and when complete, create a backup config file for this firmware version.  Done.

There should be a new update very very soon due to the OpenSSL update:

http://www.scmagazine.com/openssl-project-patches-two-high-severity-vulnerabilities/article/404487/

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Most likely you need to run an NVRAM clear.  So, set up the router again, as it was, powered off.  Looking at the router from the back, press the (upper) WPS button on the left hand side for 30 seconds as you turn the power for the router back on.  This will clear the NVRAM, and unfortunately your previous settings, and it should reboot once done.  After the reboot, login to 192.168.0.1 and reenter your settings.  I'm surprised that it took this long to check for updates.  There will be another update coming out very soon as there was an OpenSSL library update last Friday that updates a few serious deficiencies. 

Here is the update page for the AC68U in case you want to manually download the update file:

http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_Download/

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@Datalink wrote:

Most likely you need to run an NVRAM clear.  So, set up the router again, as it was, powered off.  Looking at the router from the back, press the (upper) WPS button on the left hand side for 30 seconds as you turn the power for the router back on.  This will clear the NVRAM, and unfortunately your previous settings, and it should reboot once done.  After the reboot, login to 192.168.0.1 and reenter your settings.  I'm surprised that it took this long to check for updates.  There will be another update coming out very soon as there was an OpenSSL library update last Friday that updates a few serious deficiencies. 

Here is the update page for the AC68U in case you want to manually download the update file:

http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_Download/

Is this 3.0.0.4.378.4585, which right now is the latest on Asus' web site?

I don't usually use the 'check for updates' feature in the AC68U because I find it usually says there are no updates available... but once, with my parents', it updated to a version of the software that wasn't on Asus' site...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, that appears to be the latest version.  I didn't have any problems loading it, but I didn't get the proper 802.11ac data rates out of it until I bit the bullet and ran the NVRAM clear.  Reset the parameters and passwords, etc, etc, and it ran fine.  No problems at all. 

Before you start the update, consider this.  Create a folder and sub-folders on your computer for the firmware versions, to store the firmware versions in separate sub-folders.  These would also store the configuration backup files, which are created after all of the settings are completed.  As of now, create a back config file and store it.  If you see any issues with the update, you can always reload the previous version that you had loaded, run the NVRAM, load the backup file, and you're back to where you started. 

For now, run the update.  After it reboots, shut off the power via the power switch.  Run the NVRAM clear by depressing the WPS button as you turn the power back on and release the WPS button after 30 seconds.  After the reboot, login, reset your parameters manually, and when complete, create a backup config file for this firmware version.  Done.

There should be a new update very very soon due to the OpenSSL update:

http://www.scmagazine.com/openssl-project-patches-two-high-severity-vulnerabilities/article/404487/

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Datalink:

Thanks for that info. Will try to get to it sometime today. Resetting the VRAM sounds like it makes sense, although I don't understand why it's necessary for this update. I've had the router for close to 5 months, and a previous firmware update was totally transparent.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

VivienM:

My router has an automatic firmware update notification. I don't have to check for one. When it has a notification, it causes the yellow icon in the upper right of the screen to flash. Clicking on the icon shows messages for various things that require attention.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Finally got around to Datalink's procedure and it worked like a charm! When the router first came up, I got the firmware update progress bar again but, unlike before, when it finished, I was back in the GUI as per normal with the latest firmware version. Then I imported my config file which restored everything else for me. One of the things I noticed right away is that Adaptive Qos has new settings. The first one is a Bandwidth Monitor, followed by Qos, Web History, and Traffic Monitor.

Thanks for everything Datalink. These forums are great! Smiley Happy

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Here's a curious issue that's cropped up since I installed the latest firmware update and I'm wondering if anyone else has ever seen this. I review the System Log every day and, since the update, I've been receiving messages similar to this one:

"Mar 30 13:39:37 dropbear[11504]: login attempt for nonexistent user from ::ffff:218.200.188.213:44382".

On the surface, it appears someone is trying to hack into my router, but I'm wondering if it's being caused by something else. I've had the router for about 5 months and have not seen this until now. It has happened every day since the update and the incoming IP address always changes. The login attempt goes on for at least a couple of minutes and it generates a lot of log entries. On the first day, there were 2 separate attempts at different times in the evening.

I have the firewall and DoS turned on. I also check the Traffic Manager every day and there's no unusual activity.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That is most likely a hacking attempt.  That particular address (218.200.188.213) belongs to China Mobile and it has already been reported in the last few days as indicated here:

http://www.abuseipdb.com/report-history/218.200.188.213

ISP: China Mobile
Host Name: 218.200.188.213
Organization: China Mobile Communications Corporation - sichuan
Region/State: 32 Sichuan
City: Chengdu

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Datalink:

Thank you, suspicions confirmed. As I mentioned, the incoming IP address is different for each attempt and I've traced a couple of other ones, but not the link you posted. I just find it strange that this started coincidentally with the firmware update. I wonder if the new firmware is reporting it and didn't previously.