Benefits of WiFi Calling?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gp-se
I'm an Advisor

Re: Benefits of WiFi Calling?

@Mikenic wrote:

Rogers Cell Phone WIFI Calling Long Distance Charges

When I first heard about the new phone WIFI offering from Rogers I activated it on my cell phone, after reading their Q & A section, and made long distance calls assuming there would be no long distance charges like when using "Whats App". to my surprise I was charged long distance on my next bill.

So my question is "WHAT IS WIFI CALLING USED FOR??". I COULD HAVE DEACTIVATED THIS FEATURE AND MADE THE CALLS ON THE ROGERS NETWORK. THIS NEW OFFERING IS VERY MISLEADING!

WiFi calling is not VOIP. 

I don't see anything misleading about WiFi calling, here is the Rogers FAQ:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/rogers-wi-fi-calling-faqs

Basically WiFi calling is used in area with poor cell reception, it uses minutes from your normal monthly plan just like if you made the call using a cell tower. There is no mention of long distance being included/free when using WiFi calling.

If you wanna make calls while traveling then you would need to have a long distance plan, or use a VOIP client like WhatsApp, Skype, etc.  

samleung
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Benefits of WiFi Calling?

It is working as advertised.  I am using it extensively - at home where the cellular reception is poor.  I also use this when I am traveling out of the country.  It works great - you can answer phone calls to your number without roaming charge.  The only caveat is to make sure your phone is displaying "Rogers Wi-Fi" when you receive the call.     The same applies for calls to anywhere within Canada (providing that you have the national calling feature).  

I used the feature when I was abroad in places like Kenya, Tanzania, Austria, Cazch, and France so far this year with great savings.  Usually I bought a local SIM card and use another phone as a Wifi Hotspot and connect my Rogers phone via Wifi to it.  Works like a charm. 

I made a mistake once and called when the wifi reception was poor (that was in Tanzania) and I was saddled with a $80 phone call (Rogers roaming charge is outrageous). 

I know that the Telus implementation is different - my wife uses Telus and the wifi calling is disabled once you are outside of the country.  I suppose you maybe able to defeat that by using a VPN connection but I haven't tried.

Hope this helps.