Benefits of WiFi Calling?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jackthecompguy
I'm a Regular

Re: Benefits of WiFi Calling?

If you have poor mobile signal but good wifi, just put the device into flight mode and turn on wifi. Then it will use wi-fi calling and not be connected to towers. I have done this on planes and in buildings where there is no cell signal.

Chrisl
I Plan to Stick Around

Dont ask for free advice and get frustrated with the free answers.

My proverbial $0.02

RogersRoland
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @Mike751,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums.

To clarify, Wi-Fi calling will use the airtime from your price plan. In your scenerio, if your plan does not have long distance included, then you will be charged for the call from Collingwood back to Toronto. (Regardless if Cell or Wi-Fi Calling) That being said, if you decide to call a Collingwood number while you are in Collingwood, it would be considered a local call and you will not be charged Long Distance.

@gp-se, in your scenerio,  because you were roaming, your airtime was calculated differently and using the bucket from your Travel package.

If you guys have any other questions, feel free to ask 🙂

RogersRoland

84_z31
I've Been Around

I don't see a single benfit from Wi-Fi calling other than a band-aid for covering up holes in rogers cell phone coverage. 

I still can't call long distance without being charged even though i'm not using rogers network. I still can't make any calls without being penalized against my current minute-load. And on top of that, I will probabaly see glitches costing me extra data usage each month and calls no longer being applied to my-10 contacts while calling on WiFi. 

Weak.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @84_z31

Thats why all carriers have this activated and so do manufactures. For weak areas which carriers are unable to get good signal out or weak area due to many things.
samleung
I've Been Here Awhile

Are you sure that you can use Wifi calling while you are out of the country and incur no long distance charges?  As far as I can see, you are going to be billed for long distance charges even when you are using wifi calling if your ISP is outside of the country. 

I found this quite offensive as it is clearly a money grab by Rogers.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

My understanding is that WIFI calling is being charged minutes from your plan - my understanding is that a call using WIFI calling say from Toronto to Vancouver, if you have unlimited Canada wide, will be covered as part of that package, if you are on limited local calling, that long distance call is also incurring local minutes (again, as I understand minute applications of Canada Wide calling), and if you were calling to your local area at home from the US. you would be charged local calling charges, and if outside your calling area, long distance as applies.  I am not sure, but if you put a roam like home option in while out of country, it will draw from those minutes from your share everything allotments when calling or receiving calls in the US.

So on a basic level, @Meowmix is correct, it is just filling in for dead spots in coverage, where WIFI is available, say like home if you have dead spots, you are accessing your home internet via WIFI, or when in a coffee shop you are accessing via WIFI there - but do be cautious about your use of WIFI connections in public places - be sure to set your sharing security and 3rd party firewalls to protect your device in public places, as their are inherent security risks, which you can research in more detail.  I use my add-on to Norton Security for WIFI hotspots protection to do this for me as I use WIFI a lot as I don't have data on my plans.

Correct any misunderstandings by me on this issue - I don't have devices that support WIFI calling, so I only know what I have read.  I personally couldn't see any benefit for me to date, so have never updated my phone to WIFI calling so not even an option for me. But I do try to stay up to date.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Chrisl, I would change your comment about free advise - don't complain to the person who gave you the free advice, it is the service and the answer that you don't like and that is more appropriate directed to the service provider (in this case Rogers), using the typical means of communicating and working with concerns.

If you do want to express concern, make it clear that you thank the person for their ieas, and I feel it is legitimate that you can say, I am not unhappy with the person, I am unhappy with the answer, and I will direct those to Rogers, although obviously, sometimes, the concerns are going to be expressed, but at least it is clear that you appreciate the answer given, you just don't like the reality of it - you know the old phrase, don't shoot the messenger.

Having said all that, if you have a concern with the memeber who provided the answer, then personally, I will typically take that to PM, although I am torn sometimes in that the answer may be denigrating me in some manner, but when this has happened, usually one of the other members has pitched in and defended me, or a moderator has edited it if it violated the terms of use in some manner.  In general, I think we do a pretty good job of keeping the forum friendly, but I know I have been upset with answers at times and been called on it.

Here's to a friendly respectful community.

Just my .02 dollars or 2 cents Smiley Wink  Bruce

Mikenic
I'm a Frequent Visitor

Rogers Cell Phone WIFI Calling Long Distance Charges

When I first heard about the new phone WIFI offering from Rogers I activated it on my cell phone, after reading their Q & A section, and made long distance calls assuming there would be no long distance charges like when using "Whats App". to my surprise I was charged long distance on my next bill.

So my question is "WHAT IS WIFI CALLING USED FOR??". I COULD HAVE DEACTIVATED THIS FEATURE AND MADE THE CALLS ON THE ROGERS NETWORK. THIS NEW OFFERING IS VERY MISLEADING!

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Not sure why you got charged, if you have long distance calling on your regular plan - my understanding is that you are charged while on WIFI same as your regular plan, but not sure, as I don't have access to it on my plan.

The key thing it does is allow you make calls where limited cell signal is available (like your basement in some cases), but it would be good if someone could clarify the question further.

You may want to contact community helps via a personal message and have them look deeper at your account.

Go to the top right, and click on your icon, you will find a section for messages, compose a message and send it to communityhelps  They can dig deeper on the specifics of your account, but for all of those who may run into the same thing, it would be good if you could follow up with their answer, or possibly a moderator can clarify and also direct more specifically with the link on how to PM community helps.

Looking forward to hearing the answer, great question.  - welcome to the forum (I am just a user like you who likes to help by the way, not connected with Rogers - the moderators represent Rogers and have access just like a CSR..

Bruce