Benefits of WiFi Calling?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stecyk
I'm Here A Lot

Benefits of WiFi Calling?

I got a text message saying that I could now use WiFi calling. I am all set up. However, I am not clear on the benefits.

In addition to Rogers service, I also have Skype with a phone number that allows me to make toll free calls anywhere in North America. 

My current reception from the cell tower isn't that great, usually one or two bars.

So, here's my questions:

- Is there any benefit to having my Rogers WiFi turned on when I can call toll free using Skype? As I understand it, voice minutes used on Rogers deducts away from my current plan's minutes. (My current plans suits me fine, so I am not interested in upgrading. In talking with representatives, I have an enviable plan that is no longer offered.) When I am on Skype, I am using data through my WiFi, so it's all good.

- Because I can "talk to Rogers's infrastructure" through WiFi, does that lessen the load on my battery having to talk to the tower with only a one or two bar signal strength? In other words, WiFi should be loud and clear and easy-to-access, whereas the cell tower is far-and-distant and requires more oomph. Does my iPhone still need to talk to the towers and drain the battery?

- Is there anything that I am missing as a reason for sticking with using WiFi? Or, should I just go back to using the cell tower?

***Edited Labels*** 

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
RogersMoin

Re: Benefits of WiFi Calling?

Hello, @Stecyk

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for your detailed post. It seems you are content with your current setup of using Skype alongside your mobile service. As you have mentioned the WiFi calling is beneficial in the scenario where the cell tower signal is weak, like you are far or you are in a basement etc. Please follow the link to WiFi Calling FAQs for all the other answers, thank you. 

@Community - please input your experience and benefits you are enjoying with WiFi Calling feature, thank you all.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

View solution in original post

All Replies
RogersMoin

Hello, @Stecyk

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for your detailed post. It seems you are content with your current setup of using Skype alongside your mobile service. As you have mentioned the WiFi calling is beneficial in the scenario where the cell tower signal is weak, like you are far or you are in a basement etc. Please follow the link to WiFi Calling FAQs for all the other answers, thank you. 

@Community - please input your experience and benefits you are enjoying with WiFi Calling feature, thank you all.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

View solution in original post

Stecyk
I'm Here A Lot

Please follow the link to WiFi Calling FAQs for all the other answers, thank you. 

I had consulted the FAQ before I posted my questions. If my questions had been answered in the FAQ, I wouldn't be here asking them. If they are answered in the FAQ, I missed it. 

Can someone please respond to my questions?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Stecyk 

1). I am pretty sure you can figure that out your self if you have used Skype and Rogers WiFi. If not then let me explain it. Rogers WiFi is great to use as you don't need to use another WiFi app in order to contact someone. Remember Skype is another app running in the background and you have to pay at points to call someone  VS Rogers WiFi is built into the phone and connects to the carrier/ WiFi where it uses the plan u are already using. The FAQ explains this all. Again this is something very simple.

2). No it does not. I have a IPhone 6S Plus and my battery is the same as if i was running it without it being used. Again WiFi does use battery normally so whatever battery your WiFi uses, having Rogers WiFi would use the same.

RogersMay
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

@Stecyk

May I chime in and add that, besides the valuable information from @RogersMoin and @Meowmix some key differences from the two would be that WiFi-Calling is directly into the phone's dialer, so you don't need to open an app or connect to a service to use it. You can set it as your default way of placing a call and because the service is built-in, that also means you don't need to add contacts to a service as you do with Skype. You'll have access to your existing phone book, and your contacts can receive your Wi-Fi call without needing to download a third-party app. With no contacts to add, carrier Wi-Fi calling requires little effort to set up.

WiFi-Calling also offers seamless call transfer support between Wi-Fi and LTE (using VoLTE). When using Wi-Fi calling in Canada you will be able to move between a Wi-Fi connection and the Rogers/Fido LTE network (and vice versa) without dropping your calls.

Hope this helps,

RogersMay

Stecyk
I'm Here A Lot

First, my name is Stecyk, not @Stecuk. 

I am pretty sure you can figure that out your self...

Next, not meaing to be rude, but if I knew the answers, I definitely wouldn't be here asking, would I? Life is short and I have better things to do than hang out in a Rogers' Forum.

Rogers WiFi is great to use as you don't need to use another WiFi app in order to contact someone.

I can just use my iPhone without using any WiFi. However, if for some reason I want to use WiFi, using Rogers' WiFi functionality could potentially save me from installing one app. Is that a big deal? For me, no.

Remember Skype is another app running in the background VS Rogers WiFi is built into the phone and connects to the carrier/ WiFi.

So what is the significance of that? As a user, I just want to be able to call others. I want to call quality to be superb. And, I want as much freedom to use the functionality or app as possible. That means, unlimited usage from most anywhere.

The technical aspects don't interest me. Unless, you can tell me how the technical aspect affect my needs and wants.

Regarding point 2, you wrote, "No it does not. I have a IPhone 6S Plus and my battery is the same as if i was running it without it being used. Again WiFi does use battery normally so whatever battery your WiFi uses, having Rogers WiFi would use the same."

So I am assuming from your answer that my iPhone still needs to talk to the towers. So if my battery is working hard because of poor signal strength from the towers, then it is STILL going to be working hard because of poor signal strength from the towers. Using Rogers' WiFi does not help that situation. Is that correct?

Stecyk
I'm Here A Lot

@RogersMay Thank you. Your information was thoughtful and helpful.

Mike751
I've Been Around

I have unlimited local calls with my mobile plan. If I go to Collingwood and I connect on wifi in starbucks, is my call to my home in Toronto free ?

Thank you

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Mike751

Collingwood is not local calling. So you might be charged. It's best to call and get a answer or if @CommunityHelps can answer.
gp-se
I'm an Advisor

if you have a Toronto phone number and you call a Toronto phone number the call won't be long distance. Just make sure the Phone says "Rogers W-Fi" that way you are connected to Wi-Fi calling. I went to Europe this summer and every hotel had Wi-Fi, so I used Wi-Fi calling to call back to toronto with no long distance charges. Phone calls or text messages are fine as long as you are on wifi calling and calling/texting the same local as your phone number. (416/647)