cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bell FTTH Home Phone vs. Rogers Home Phone -- as smart as Nortel DMS-100??

DominicB
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi, I need some technical answers here, because Bell can't give me any, and I'm ready to drop them completely.  I moved to a new subdivision three years ago where Bell did not lay copper, only fiber to the home.  As Rogers only offered coax then, I went with Bell.  Now there are issues as I'm working from home and need more functionality.

First, Bell copper using Nortel technology was very smart, and would behave a certain way if the distinctive ringing number was programmed correctly.  Can Rogers Home Phone with Distinctive Ring (say, for a fax) be programmed to operate as DMS-100 (Nortel) did, like this:

Scenario 1:
Incoming call on Distinctive Ringing Number.  Double ring.  Fax answers only on double ring.  Call in Progress.
2nd call comes in on Distinctive Ringing Number -- should receive a busy signal, not a call waiting beep

2nd call comes in on Main Number -- should forward to voice mail immediately -- no call waiting beep or busy.

Scenario 2:

Outgoing call or incoming call answered on Main Number.  Call in Progress

2nd call comes in on Distinctive Ringing Number -- should receive a busy signal

2nd call comes in on Main Number -- call waiting beep comes through -- if not answered, goes to voice mail

Does Rogers work like this?  And, is FAX supported?  At what speed?

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Bell FTTH Home Phone vs. Rogers Home Phone -- as smart as Nortel DMS-100??

RogersAsif
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Welcome to the Community @DominicB

Rogers does offer a Distinctive Ring(Virtual Line) service which allows a single telephone line to accept incoming calls for more than one phone number. The line will ring differently when a call comes in for each of the numbers linked to the original line.

There would be a calling waiting tone for each number. Voicemail would need to be configured by Rogers Home Phone Tech Support. I am unsure of the technicalities behind the service so I will invite any of our Experts to chime in on this subject.

You can also reach Rogers Home Phone Technical Support at 1 855 381-7836 . They are available 24/7!

RogersAsif

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: Bell FTTH Home Phone vs. Rogers Home Phone -- as smart as Nortel DMS-100??

RogersAsif
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Welcome to the Community @DominicB

Rogers does offer a Distinctive Ring(Virtual Line) service which allows a single telephone line to accept incoming calls for more than one phone number. The line will ring differently when a call comes in for each of the numbers linked to the original line.

There would be a calling waiting tone for each number. Voicemail would need to be configured by Rogers Home Phone Tech Support. I am unsure of the technicalities behind the service so I will invite any of our Experts to chime in on this subject.

You can also reach Rogers Home Phone Technical Support at 1 855 381-7836 . They are available 24/7!

RogersAsif

View solution in original post