Battery indicator problem on Galaxy S2

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Battery indicator problem on Galaxy S2

I had my s2 replaced by rogers only to have the same problem on the replacement as well. Not sure why which usb cable being used for charging would make a difference but ill try it and see what happens. I was actually using the Samsung cable with an apple wall plug unit. Will advise if Samsung wall unit fixes the problem. Perhaps when the s2 gets the next software update this issue Will be fixed.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

What's with some people?? If you've got issues with charging AND you're using bits from other Brands, Models & even cameras or electric toothbrushes.....Duh! Then there are these Myths floating around about Battery Calibration??? It's BUNK!
Read this;
http://batteryuniversity.com/
I've Been Around

Newbie here.... reaching out to the Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE community.... hoping someone can provide further insight and/or help with my issue.

My Issue:

After charging battery to 100%, battery monitor on top of screen shows full battery; (and battery level states 100% - when checking in the settings/about phone/Status) - so far so good.

The  Problem:

The battery monitor stays at 100% - never  changes, even though battery life is being used. Only when I power down the device, and power back up, then the battery monitor reflects the true battery life.  The monitor will stay at this reading until I power down, and power up again.    Resetting the phone does nothing to resolve - Net result: I need to power down/power up everytime I want a  true reading of battery life.

Attempt to fix #1:

Sent the phone back to Samung via Rogers - will not go into the frustration of getting through this process, suffice to say:  Samsung did a full SW upgrade & phone reset - 3 weeks later sends me back the device as fixed.

The results:

Now I charge the battery 100%, and again, the battery monitor does not reflect true life.  I still have to power down/power up to get the monitor to "kick-in"  - However; some good news, I only have to power down/power up ONCE after the battery is charged and the monitor will  reflect the true battery life without having to power down/up again. 

Both Rogers & Samsung seem reluctant (or unable) to address this any further.  Do I bother going through the Samsung/Rogers nightmare and send the device in again,  or just live with powering down/up the device after a charge.... and HOPE that a new Android update is coming soon for this device that MAY finally resolve this? 

.....(Which brings me to another topic...how do you update your OS on this device?  Samsung/Rogers do  provided this option on the I727.....but I'll post this as a separate topic for another thread.)

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Your battery is defect. Also, you should only use the original samsung charger that came with the phone which is 1 amp iirc

See here http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-skyrocket/441638-skyrocket-has-battery-meter-issue-i-e-st...

I've Been Around

You solved my battery monitor issue! 

I was using Samsung's OEM cord, but plugging it into an Apple block .  Switched back to the Samsung OEM block, and all is resolved. 

Belated thanks for the info - much appreciated!

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@gillianlai wrote:

You solved my battery monitor issue! 

I was using Samsung's OEM cord, but plugging it into an Apple block .  Switched back to the Samsung OEM block, and all is resolved. 

Belated thanks for the info - much appreciated!

Anytime! I've had the same issue but did some research and turns out the problem was using non Samsung chargers may mess with your battery reading sensor.

I've Been Around

I use the cable and wall plug that came with the phone.  Mine often says 100% battery at the end of the day, which is obviously not correct.  I turn off the phone, back on and there you go, the battery indicator shows about a third.  Any updates yet?  My mother in law just got the same phone 2 weeks ago and hers is doing it.  My wife has the same phone and she has never noticed it.  We all use factory charging cables and wall plug.... (Galaxy SII)  I do leave the phone plugged in for the night and unplug in the morning, so it is obviouly at 100% fully charged sometime in the night and again obviously not unplugged as soon as it says fully charged.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

For some reason it does make a difference when it comes to cables, i had an issue with my tablet. Would ONLY charge with the stock USB cable. I tried a handful of different cables to no avail. Also, if u have a case on ur phone, that too can have an adverse effect. I have an otterbox on my captivate and had to shave the end of the rubber on the USB cable i got from the pc shop because ur was a hair too wide. It showed it was connected, and fully charged when it was dead. If the cable isn't seated completely, it can do that.
I've Been Around

I've been having this same issue since I got my phone.  Too bad Samsung can't make a phone capable of charging from a standard USB cable...  This totally defeats the whole point of universal USB charging.

I've Been Around

I have been having the same issue with mine.