cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery charging problems on new torch

villinvr6
I Plan to Stick Around

Since I purchased my torch on October 1st, i've had charging problems since day 1. For some reason 50% of the time when I hook it up to my charger whether its a wall charger on a PC charger, the torch will not charge. Other cases it will charge for about 20 seconds then the charging stops and I'll have only 20% battery power left. I love the new torch, but still, my 9700 bold performs a bit quicker. I even check the application management and looks like BBM is most of the time running full capacity taking up too much ram.

- Could possibly be a lemon with my torch since Ive tried to use 3 different Micro usb wires and no dice.

Secondly, regarding battery issues, and this has been happening to a lot of berry users who are in the same BBM chat room with 20+ other people that the battery drains quicker and slows down the phones, even with my torch. Battery gets hot often as well.

- Possible that our berries can't handle 20+ people in a chat room and is overloading the ram?

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Battery charging problems on new torch

javatyger
I Plan to Stick Around

It definitely sounds like you're having a hardware problem - have you noticed your Torch getting very warm to the touch, just under your keyboard? This means that the processor is overheating, and when this happens, the Torch doesn't like to charge, and the battery drains quicker then usual.  The reason I'm suggesting a hardware exchange is because of not charging that much at all.  That definitely is a cause for concern.

And yeah, when you're in BBM chat rooms, the same thing happens - the processor seems to start to really heat up, and as a result causing your battery to drain. Same goes for bad apps that eat up resources, or anything that streams media. I purchased my Torch the day it came out, and only noticed the processor getting warm because of what I was doing - streaming, tweeting, rss feed updates, etc. Once I shut down my Torch and gave it a reboot, it was fine. But it's definitely a concern for me as well, so I try to not have too many apps open at once.

But from technican's point of view, I suggest a replacement of your Torch. Give Rogers Technical Support a call and explain the symptoms, and they'll issue a new device to you - or you can try your store and see if they'll do a exchange. If you did buy it online, then you need to contact Rogers.

Good luck. 🙂

You'll find me when I'm not playing or ref'ing hockey or volleyball.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: Battery charging problems on new torch

javatyger
I Plan to Stick Around

It definitely sounds like you're having a hardware problem - have you noticed your Torch getting very warm to the touch, just under your keyboard? This means that the processor is overheating, and when this happens, the Torch doesn't like to charge, and the battery drains quicker then usual.  The reason I'm suggesting a hardware exchange is because of not charging that much at all.  That definitely is a cause for concern.

And yeah, when you're in BBM chat rooms, the same thing happens - the processor seems to start to really heat up, and as a result causing your battery to drain. Same goes for bad apps that eat up resources, or anything that streams media. I purchased my Torch the day it came out, and only noticed the processor getting warm because of what I was doing - streaming, tweeting, rss feed updates, etc. Once I shut down my Torch and gave it a reboot, it was fine. But it's definitely a concern for me as well, so I try to not have too many apps open at once.

But from technican's point of view, I suggest a replacement of your Torch. Give Rogers Technical Support a call and explain the symptoms, and they'll issue a new device to you - or you can try your store and see if they'll do a exchange. If you did buy it online, then you need to contact Rogers.

Good luck. 🙂

You'll find me when I'm not playing or ref'ing hockey or volleyball.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 in conversation