Bandwidth questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Bandwidth questions

I was hoping I could get an answer from Rogers that makes SOME sense. It's a pretty simple question, but I doubt the answer I get will actually shed any light on Rogers practices.

First: How is it that companies like Teksavvy and Distributel can provide unlimited service at a low fee? Especially considering they are leasing from rogers. You would think the first party in the chain would be able to do the same, but apparently not. Instead I am being reamed with bandwidth overages that have an extremely unrealistic price per GB.

Which brings me to my second question: How can rogers charge for bandwitdh and treat it like a finite resource, but the months I do NOT go over my "cap" my remaining bandwidth does not roll over into my next billing cycle for my to use?

I would appreciate answers to these two questions.

***Edited Labels.***

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Bandwidth questions

Unfortunately you wont get any answer from Rogers. The answer is simple though. We live in a captialistic country. Companies are allowed to screw over whoever they want when they have a monopoly that was given to them by the government (the tax payer paid for most of the copper in the ground many decades ago). So being that Rogers, Bell and Telus magically charge the same price for their services at the same time isn't price fixing, they can charge you lots of money to pay their board of directors and majority share holders nicely.

I hope the clarifies the official Robelus Screw The Customer policy.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Bandwidth questions

@Wickens wrote:

Which brings me to my second question: How can rogers charge for bandwitdh and treat it like a finite resource, but the months I do NOT go over my "cap" my remaining bandwidth does not roll over into my next billing cycle for my to use?

This usualy comes down to how you PAY for the service.  Compare it to a cell phone (with ANYONE).

When you post pay.. you pay based on a certian amount your alloted.. and then pay for overages.  Internet is billed that way.

Now.. if you changed the billing model for internet, to PRE PAID.. then you are paying for X many mb up front.. and then could likely carry them over.  Sometimes the rate it slightly higher this way, not always.  But if you ran out, would have to pay more, before you could use again, etc.
You look at some of the asian countries, almost ALL of their internet is pre-paid.. which is good in some ways, that you only pay for what you use.. BUT if its used alot, the cost can be VERY high.

Im not advocating that rogers is right.. they should be changing their stuff to match the others, etc.  Just trying to explain a little.